Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Riley will play the best guy, every game, as his neck is on the line.

Well, maybe but Riley was a HC at Oregon State for a long time so he obviously looks to the future as well. It is not do or die this fall in my view. He is in the process of building up the program with a longer term plan. If they Ath Dept and SE were thinking one or two seasons and you're gone, I think the contract would have been that way. The objective is to get the Huskers back in the thick of it nationally over the long haul, not focus on a continuation of what we had. You have to build depth and establish a foundation. That means you need to have younger guys getting experience. That is how you 'reload' not rebuild each year. In my opinion of course.

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

LOL his neck is on the line. Maybe your line.

Even if this year flubs again, he's got another 2 before his neck is on the line.

Whether Riley is going to be fired or not, the AD should tell him to play the young guys. Period. end of discussion. Seniors can and should play if the team is competing for championships / upper half of the bowls, etc. but once the losing season becomes apparent, then you double down on the 'backups to the future' program.

Even if this year flubs again, he's got another 2 before his neck is on the line.

Whether Riley is going to be fired or not, the AD should tell him to play the young guys. Period. end of discussion. Seniors can and should play if the team is competing for championships / upper half of the bowls, etc. but once the losing season becomes apparent, then you double down on the 'backups to the future' program.

Who plays and who doesn't isn't a decision the AD should be making.

• Fire 6

I agree that we should look for ways to get young players meaningful experience. Did you mean not to play seniors at all, or just to get young guys in the game?

I would hope that NU is good enough every season where they are in the championship (at least division) discussion going into the final 1-2 games each season. Other than being a first year coach or crazy circumstances involving the season, and the coach is headed for an obvious losing season, I would think that coach is in serious jeopardy of losing his job.

• Fire 1

So, at what point should your genius plan kick in? After the first loss because we probably won't be in the NC hunt? After the second....third???

When?

So, at what point should your genius plan kick in? After the first loss because we probably won't be in the NC hunt? After the second....third???

When?

If I was an underclassman, and I saw the coaches not playing the seniors just because the team wasn't doing well, I would probably transfer. It would be quite the thank you to the seniors, who have been playing hard for four years to just be benched and not play. We aren't going to be in one of the upper bowls? Sorry, Jordan Westercamp, you're benched. If that happens, I would be upset.

In no world should an AD get involved in player personnel decisions, unless it's a disciplinary issue.

If we want to actually talk about the QBs....

Tommy is "vastly improved" this year, "mechanics are much more solid".

Tommy threw a pick six on the second play of 7v7 today.

Cue the meltdown. :)

3/8 for 30 yards, 2 picks and one of those was a pick six from what I heard. Haven't heard anything official. Sounds like he showed the TA everyone knows and loves.