Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

It comes down to one simple word folks................comply.

No matter what, or else.

It's scary that some think we should live in such a totalitarian state.

People seem to forget that we pay our police and they serve at our pleasure. A badge isn't a license to act as a dictator.

Luckily 99.999% of police do a great job and exercise sound judgment in tough situations day in and day out.

Serve at your pleasure? So you just want the police to allow people to do whatever they want and not enforce the laws? And obviously get shot or shot at first before we react? lmao, makes total sense................

The problem is, police seem to have the mentality that their job is only to enforce and not to serve and protect.

Based on your tone and straw arguments, it's clear this is an emotional topic for you and you aren't really equipped to have a rational discussion. Just my sense of it. And I base that on the fact that I've repeatedly stated that most officers do the right thing under tough circumstances, but you say that I'm painting police with a broad brush and imply that I want them to be shot.

Police are paid to exercise discretion and take risk. If they don't like that level of risk or can't exercise good judgment, they shouldn't be police.

Period.

Another example of putting words into my mouth that I never said. I said, "The problem is those situations are cherry picked and used to paint a broad picture of officer involved shootings generally speaking." Care to show me where I say YOU were doing that? Think what you want, but I can have a rational discussion about it, but some folks refuse to listen to another perspective and make false assumptions.

When I watch a game, I don't want to have to think about the political motivations of the players I am watching.

Yeah, when I watch sports I don't want to be reminded that those are actual real human beings with their own thoughts and beliefs and convictions and personalities either. I would much rather they just shut up and be exploited for their physical abilities for my own enjoyment. No need to actually talk, or think, or share, or care about anything. Just do the thing with the ball and get the points so I'm happy.

You got it LOMS....the same thing goes with Hollywood. I hardly watch movies anymore due to celebrities who are paid way too much money to use their fame as a platform to push their own political agenda. Now would you feel differently if players were protesting against Mr. Obama or some liberal politician?

My post was entirely sarcastic. Athletes are still allowed to be people with opinions, thoughts, passions and convictions. They aren't gladiators that only exist for your pleasure and entertainment.

No, I would not feel differently if athletes protested Obama. I am not 'Team Obama' even though I think he's cool, and even if I was, athletes don't owe me anything. It's a privilege for me to get to enjoy them working at their craft.

Which people in this thread are doing that, BRI?

Maybe it hasn't happened in this particular thread, but I've had plenty of experience in the past in other threads with folks not wanting to see it from another perspective. I'm not naming those names, it's not worth it at this point to be honest and unnecessary.

BRI people just don't get it at all. They have no clue what the 'real' world is like and what really goes on in their community.

I would love to see all these people expressing what the cops should've done apply at their local police department and serve for that said department for a year....nah maybe two months because that'll be enough time for reality to hit them in the head to actually witness the real world.

I was a correctional officer for almost 7 years and left the profession because people are douchebags that lacked respect for authority, they're never wrong and they wanted everything handed to them. Not to mention the federal inmates we were housing designed a plan to take over the jail and kill any officer that got in their way

• Fire 1

Did you all see that the Seattle Mariners catcher was suspended without pay for the rest of the season for demonstrating his right to free speech?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/23/steve-clevenger-suspended-racist-charlotte-tweets-seattle-mariners/90908618/

As with Kaepernick, I don't agree with Clevenger's vocal protest, but why should he not have the right to voice his opinion just as CK is doing. Perhaps the NFL and MLB have different contracts. Regardless, I just hate the fact that this country has become so divided in recent years that it's now creeping into sports. When I watch a game, I don't want to have to think about the political motivations of the players I am watching. But, this is Obama's America, and the divisions are deeper than they have been in years.

Obama's America? Are you for real here? Atheletes have been politically active since before I can remember.

There have always been divisions in this country, but never in my lifetime like it is now. He and his administration (Eric Holder and others) have helped incite this divisiveness. That is the left's playbook...racial and class warfare in order to secure votes.

What specifically has Obama done to promote divisiveness? What are the top three things in your opinion?

• 1 month later...

I respect his opinion.

“To me, it didn’t really matter who went in there,” Kaepernick told reporters Wednesday. “The system still remains intact that oppresses people of color.”

It's shared, the first part anyway, by a lot of posters here.

But boy, it's not my opinion. Colin doesn't owe a thing to liberals, or Democrats, or fellow #BLMers or anthem protesters, etc. And his opinion, as frankly unbelievable as I find it, is shared -- not at all unfairly! -- by others who feel that the Democratic Party is equally ignorant of or implicit in systemic injustice.

Why these people are fine with Trump, I struggle to understand.

"I'm upset with how things are in our country, but i'm not gonna use my right to try to do anything about it". Guys a f'ing tool. Plain and simple. Maybe Cher can take him to Jupiter with her? No balls whatsoever. He's a chickensh#t. He can throw a football (debateable). He better do all he can to stick with it. Cuz if he's relegated to the real world, life would crush his crybaby ass.

• Fire 1

I find it funny, considering he was raised by two white parents who were fairly well off. If there is one man who didn't grow up being held down and racially discriminated against, it's Kaepernick.

Being a 49ers fan I was able to meet them in Atlanta the day before the 2012 NFC Championship Game as I stayed in the same hotel as them. Very nice people and I see where he is coming from, but don't think he is the right person for this protest. But it is his right to do this and at least he isn't doing anything stupid like burning or stepping on the flag like those retards were doing outside of the Trump rallies. One is even called "F your flag." (on YouTube) Those people are the ones that need to be deported, not the "illegals" that are working and being a productive member of society.

I respect his opinion.

“To me, it didn’t really matter who went in there,” Kaepernick told reporters Wednesday. “The system still remains intact that oppresses people of color.”

It's shared, the first part anyway, by a lot of posters here.

But boy, it's not my opinion. Colin doesn't owe a thing to liberals, or Democrats, or fellow #BLMers or anthem protesters, etc. And his opinion, as frankly unbelievable as I find it, is shared -- not at all unfairly! -- by others who feel that the Democratic Party is equally ignorant of or implicit in systemic injustice.

Why these people are fine with Trump, I struggle to understand.

It is just ironic that he is standing up for the half of his genetics that left him after he was conceived, which was part of why the biological mother gave him up for adoption so he could have a better life that she could give him by herself. If I was the parents who adopted him it would be hard not to feel like this is a slap in the face on some level.

As for your second part, neither party has done much for them since the Republicans fought and won to abolish slavery. The Republican party is was also the first to have any African American's win office under their party's name. The Democrats have been the party that has been historically racist against them as the KKK was started to help the southern democrats intimidate them as a people. Now the Democrats do a "fly by" to get their vote every 4 years and the Republicans don't even try because they are going to vote around 90% for the Dems even though they have done nothing for them. With the largest knock on the party being that they are much worse off now than they were when Obama took office. They were sold on "hope" and "change" and all they got was jack and sh#t. It has to be demoralizing to say the least.

• 4 months later...