Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

You take that rational way of thinking and GEEEET OUT!

This is my first time thinking that way, so can't I get a second chance?

My worry is that injuries might make this decision for us. This is, after all, the Big 10 and not the SEC or Big 12 it's a meat grinder conference. No team in this conference gets through the season unscathed.

I am thankful we have to good backs pushing each other and ready to carry the load if the other one falters or falls.

Lastly, I'm definitely not going to worry about this issue when someone else gets paid big bucks in Lincoln to figure it out. After all, Riley hasn't ever offered to help me to do my job... <_<

During his 5 years here, when has he ever actually "broken away"?

He's been here 5 years?

Idk, isn't this his 5th year? Or was he playing as a TrueFresh, honestly don't remember.

He was a 2013 recruit.

So, he has been here for:

2013 Longest of 23 yards

2014 Longest of 43 yards

2015 Longest of 69 yards

2016 Only one game

So....I'm assuming that at some point in 2014 and 2015 he broke away on a run.

How many long break away runs do you see in college football anyway (you cant mention any Nebraska opponenet over the past 8 years). it happens here and there, but when it does, it's usually from a bust in defense or mismatch so properly exposed that this breakaway speed doesnt really matter.

i'm not saying speed doesnt matter. so please. Read before we go there.

What I am saying is that if a play is blocked well enough or the defense screws up enought for Newby to get gone, then Ozigbo will get gone too. Their top end speeds are close enough that this is the case. We're not comparing a 4.4 40 guy to a 5.4.

How many long break away runs do you see in college football anyway (you cant mention any Nebraska opponenet over the past 8 years). it happens here and there, but when it does, it's usually from a bust in defense or mismatch so properly exposed that this breakaway speed doesnt really matter.

What I am saying is that if a play is blocked well enough or the defense screws up enought for Newby to get gone, then Ozigbo will get gone too. Their top end speeds are close enough that this is the case. We're not comparing a 4.4 40 guy to a 5.4.

Yeah, but Newby will get to the endzone .3 seconds faster!!!!!11!!

Things I know are this:

1. Everyone loves to hate on Newby because he sucked last year

2. He sucked last year because he was hurt for a majority of the year

3. No one will give him the benefit of doubt for #1 and #2 despite him putting in more years through more turmoil than any other RB we have.

4. Despite his obvious experience/new found jitter/running with authority and his obvious speed (he IS the fastest back we have), he's still counted out because people can't get past #1 and #2

It's the 'cool thing' to bash on Newby right now and it's getting old really fast. As others have said in this thread, Oz benefited from some better blocking...he also got the entire 4th quarter. If it had instead been given to Newby, things might have turned out differently. Newby didn't get a carry in the 4th.

Anyone out there want to give him a break yet?

I've read through the thread and I'm having a hard time pinpointing who/what this is in response to.

Who is hating on Newby?

I didn't say it (bashing newby) was only in this thread.

However, just look at the replies since you asked 'who is hating on Newby'. Even though a screenshot breakdown of all the runs was given and it was shown that Newby and Oz are pretty equal and everyone knows that Newby is faster than Oz, we get people commenting that he'd be 4th string and people saying that he's a vanilla player who isn't fast...despite him being our fastest RB...he came in running a 4.44 40 time. Ozigbo came in running a 4.73. I'm pretty sure neither one of these guys got slower and I highly doubt Oz got .3 faster in 2 years.

I just can't wrap my head around that. Newby's talent is obvious and the fact that he runs differently this year with more purpose, it has me excited for what he could do.

I see. Your diatribe just seemed out if place since the assessments of Newby's week 1 performance have been mostly positive, and the criticisms have been mild (vanilla, *gasp*).

Ozigbo clearly had the better outing, so I don't think people acknowledging that is the same thing as hating Newby. Personally, I've never thought screenshots are a particularly good way of evaluating football plays or players. You can use a well-timed still photo to tell any story you want to tell. The game film is more reliable.

I think Newby is easily the best athlete we have at runningback, and one of the best athletes on the team, but for whatever reason that has never translated into him being a great division 1 runningback.

It's kind of tricky comparing the two, because as you've said, they have different running styles. But to answer the question "who should see more carries?", the general concensus seems to be Ozigbo. Which I would agree with, but I'd be interested in hearing any arguments for Newby.

And I may be the only one who thinks this, but I honestly don't think Newby looked a whole lot different than he did against South Alabama last season. I guess the question is can he do it consistently?

• Fire 2

Just thinking about Nebraska RB's, I remember Roy Helu breaking off a number of long runs. He was a great breakaway threat. I just looked through the first half of 2014, and Ameer had 5 or 6 long TD runs before he hurt his knee. There are plenty of breakaway threats at RB around college football.

• Fire 2