Maize and Blue still bitter about '97...

Redux

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2016/9/8/12848236/michigan-football-nebraska-column-scott-frost-ucf-national-championship?_ga=1.112931012.1937146071.1473292043

But alas, here I sit as a 35-year-old man, seething, hoping for some mild form of retribution this Saturday when UCF comes to The Big House.

Why, you ask? Scott Frost.

Frost is now the head coach at UCF following a lengthy stint as the offensive coordinator for Oregon. I dont like Scott Frost. You, as a Michigan fan, shouldnt like Scott Frost either.

This is borderline insane if he believes everything he wrote.

• Fire 2

His anger is misguided (shocker).

If he wants to be angry at anyone, he should be angry at Jim Delany. The rest of the nation was moving on (Bowl Alliance, or whatever it was called back then), trying to field a true national championship game, while the Big Ten was determined to hold on to the theory that the MNC is better determined by a writer's / coach's vote.

They got what they asked for. All Nebraska and Scott Frost did was refuse to lose.

• Fire 4

His anger is misguided (shocker).

If he wants to be angry at anyone, he should be angry at Jim Delany. The rest of the nation was moving on (Bowl Alliance, or whatever it was called back then), trying to field a true national championship game, while the Big Ten was determined to hold on to the theory that the MNC is better determined by a writer's / coach's vote.

They got what they asked for. All Nebraska and Scott Frost did was refuse to lose.

It was more of the Big Ten (and Pac 10) boner for the Rose Bowl and their refusal to send their champion any where else, but yeah, they didn't want to be in the Bowl Alliance when it was formed back in the day.

I lived in Michigan from 1994 to 2014. The Michigan fans were disillusion in 1997. Michigan played several teams that were ranked when they played, but later dropped from the rankings. Colorado is an example. I put the following together to refute the Michigan fans. Rankings are after bowl games.

Nebraska Opponent
Opponent Huskers OpponentRank Margin
Akron 59 14 45
Central Fla. 38 24 14
Washington 27 14 18 13
Kansas State 56 26 7 30
Baylor 49 21 28
Texas Tech 29 0 29
Kansas* 35 0 35
Oklahoma 69 7 62
Missouri 45 38 23 7
Iowa State 77 14 63
Colorado 27 24 3
Texas A&M 54 15 21 39
Tennessee 42 17 8 25
Michiga Opponent
Opponent U of M OpponentRank Margin
Colorado 27 3 24
Baylor 38 3 35
Notre Dame 21 14 7
Indiana 37 0 37
Northwestern 23 6 17
Iowa 28 24 4
Michigan State 23 7 16
Minnesota 24 3 21
Penn State 34 8 17 26
Wisconsin 26 16 10
Ohio State 20 14 12 6
Wash State 21 16 9 5
I give up on the formatting.
  • Fire 3

Should thank their lucky stars they got to claim a national title without playing Nebraska on the field.

Of course I am biased, but Michigan has a poor offense, and a great defense. There defensive strength was stopping the pass. IMO, Nebraska would have easily scored 30 on Michigan, and Greise may not have finished the game. The Huskers win easily.

Nebraska's outright title in '94 over an unbeaten Penn St when NU was #1, and the split in 97 with an unbeaten #1Michigan when NU was #2 will always be in my mind a straight kick to the balls by the voters of the Bowl Coalition(94) and Bowl Alliance(97) to the Big Ten/Pac ten at that time for not jumping to the system to get the 1 and 2 teams to play. They chose not to. And each time got punished accordingly. both happend to be to Nebraska's advantage. I truly believe this whole dynamic was at play in each year's final poll.

Not that we need to argue it or anything. But ...

Rose Bowl:

#1 Michigan _____21

#8 Washington St_16

Orange Bowl:

#2 Nebraska___42

#3 Tennessee__17

The drubbing of Tennessee would have been worse if T.O. hadn't called off the dogs in the 4th quarter. I was worried for Peyton Manning's life in that game. He absolutely got pounded on at least a dozen plays. By contrast, Washington State played the Rose Bowl with their starting RB down due to injury. And the officials called the game with a couple seconds on the clock because so many Michigan fans poured out onto the field. Ryan Leaf should have had one more shot at the end zone.

• Fire 5