The "Riley" Factor against Oregon

Riley has much better players right now.

They are doing stuff with the qb run element that they have never done at Oregon St. And i dont mean simple qb runs. I mean the action. Watch saturdays film. Last saturdays film. Find how many plays we ran that started off with the read action, whether it be with jet motion. Hell there's plays where the jet motion comes across, we fake to him, then fake the back, and the play winds up being a bubble or slant the other direction. there is nothing conventional about this. And youre talking about 3 directional possibilies of the play right at the snap. I dont recall seeing stuff like this on Oregon St stuff. Lots of misdirection. In fact, Langsdorf is using misdirection significantly more than Beck did. While beck maybe called more Read options, and RPO, his overall use of misdirection and the use of jet action was very low. Most of his running game was design handoff in zone and stretch. Langs is using lots of misdirection in the run game and incorporating more man blocking with trap and power technique.

Riley has much better players right now.

They are doing stuff with the qb run element that they have never done at Oregon St. And i dont mean simple qb runs. I mean the action. Watch saturdays film. Last saturdays film. Find how many plays we ran that started off with the read action, whether it be with jet motion. Hell there's plays where the jet motion comes across, we fake to him, then fake the back, and the play winds up being a bubble or slant the other direction. there is nothing conventional about this. And youre talking about 3 directional possibilies of the play right at the snap. I dont recall seeing stuff like this on Oregon St stuff. Lots of misdirection. In fact, Langsdorf is using misdirection significantly more than Beck did. While beck maybe called more Read options, and RPO, his overall use of misdirection and the use of jet action was very low. Most of his running game was design handoff in zone and stretch. Langs is using lots of misdirection in the run game and incorporating more man blocking with trap and power technique.

Only he can't seem to try any counter plays/sweeps with the RB alone for misdirection...instead, he runs it between the tackles over and over and over. Mind boggling.

Let's see how this week goes before we say he is not using all his weapons effectively! More FB and TE use in the scheme may be at hand!

I actually think Langsdorf has called some really good games so far. I understand your point, but all in all, he has been calling a solid game plan and insuring TA does not try to do more than he needs to!

Yep. People can be bummed that he isn't calling stuff out of personal preference, I guess, but Langs has put together two solid, efficient game plans thus far this year. The only area we've really uncharacteristically struggled is the QB run game, but we're still calling the plays for it, and it came on a lot better later last season, so hopefully it gets shored up quick.

• Fire 1

Both teams are a work in progress. Hopefully we can all refrain from saying the sky is falling for the loser and the winner is going to be a league title contender. Rankings this early in the season mean very little and with Nebraska playing at home I think the Vegas spread is justified. At this point of the season, these teams seem to be pretty even. I give the win to the team that commits the least turnovers.

Much respect to Nebraska. And your coach is a class act.

Let's hope for a exciting, injury-free ballgame.

• Fire 5

Both teams are a work in progress. Hopefully we can all refrain from saying the sky is falling for the loser and the winner is going to be a league title contender. Rankings this early in the season mean very little and with Nebraska playing at home I think the Vegas spread is justified. At this point of the season, these teams seem to be pretty even. I give the win to the team that commits the least turnovers.

Much respect to Nebraska. And your coach is a class act.

Let's hope for a exciting, injury-free ballgame.

Welcome to the forum. I'd agree with that assessment.

It should be a pretty fun one for fans on both sides.

I would sure hope so. Riley not only faced Oregon every year in the same conference and got to see this style of play for 7 straight years, he was in the same state as Oregon. I hope Riley knows that kicking field goals or being stuck around the Ducks 40 yard line and punting on 4th and short is not how you beat the Ducks. You have to score touchdowns and you have to capatilize off of every single drive. You can be up by 21-28 points on these guys and they can roar right back into the game and blow you out.

Royce Freeman is a monster of a RB, and they have two other speedster backs to compliment him. They also have maybe the most talented WR core in the PAC-12. Their QB looks like he is capable of keeping plays alive with his feet and he seems to have an arm.

What is decieving about Oregon's defense is they will give up plenty of yards but they dont give up an overload of points. They are a classic example of a bend but dont break defense. So anytime Nebraska is able to make Oregons defense bend and get into the redzone, they must score touchdowns.

I am very uncertain about this game. But I sure hope Riley has figured out the Ducks after all these years since he now finally has the depth and talent, or at least more depth and talent then he had at Oregon State.

The interesting thing here is, Oregon hasn't changed their offense in 9 years, and Riley has been running the same thing he did at Oregon State. So both these coaching staffs should be very familiar with each others game plans.

if Virginia can bend them I think we can break them. They are still high powered in the offensive skill positions. Should make for an interesting match up! Agree with the above poster, the battle in the trenches when the skers are defending will be a way to either take control of the game or get mauled in the run game big matchup there.
The game was more like 44-20 rather then the 26. I get this only from the box score as I did not see the ending of the game due to how late it was, but I would imagine Virginia scored in garbage time, and I am sure most of those yardage stats are skewed as Oregon probably had their backups in early in the second half.

One thing was certain, early on in that game Virginia was able to run the ball with huge holes. Hopefully Newby and Ozigbo have big days. Another way to stop Oregon is to keep their offense off the field, so just run on them all day if you are able to.

They left their starters in the whole game I think. The announcers actually made a joke about it late in the 4th. I know the QB played the whole game.

Just watching Oregon it felt like NU would have been having a field day on the ground, and could easily put up 35+ (which we'll need to). If ypu spread the ducks out and run it between the tackles they're going to have issues. Virginia was also penetrating defensively on runs but didn't have the athletes to finish plays before they broke loose. The receiving corp and QBs ability to keep plays alive is what scares me. Along with those jet sweeps they love to run. We've been good at stopping those so far, but we haven't seen anybody run them with this much speed. I'm frankly a little worried that we may be too slow on defense.

We've got a real chance if we can just play sound football on defense. If the offense can play mistake free it will be a big day.

The Oregon starting QB took the snaps on the final drive of the game when Oregon could have kneed to finish, and decided to keep running plays anyways. They received criticism for it. I'm scared of the offense too, but a team who's starters can only put up 44 on Virginia's D and give up 26 to an opponent who only scored 20 on their FCS foe a week before, I'm feeling positive.

This was just the 2nd game for the transfer QB with this roster and this environment. Coach Helfrich knows their needs to be work on timing and chemistry between the new QB and young O-line. No better place to improve those than in a live game situations. Bell-cow Freeman and some of the other offensive starters did sit out a good portion of the 2nd half.

• Fire 1

I would sure hope so. Riley not only faced Oregon every year in the same conference and got to see this style of play for 7 straight years, he was in the same state as Oregon. I hope Riley knows that kicking field goals or being stuck around the Ducks 40 yard line and punting on 4th and short is not how you beat the Ducks. You have to score touchdowns and you have to capatilize off of every single drive. You can be up by 21-28 points on these guys and they can roar right back into the game and blow you out.

Royce Freeman is a monster of a RB, and they have two other speedster backs to compliment him. They also have maybe the most talented WR core in the PAC-12. Their QB looks like he is capable of keeping plays alive with his feet and he seems to have an arm.

What is decieving about Oregon's defense is they will give up plenty of yards but they dont give up an overload of points. They are a classic example of a bend but dont break defense. So anytime Nebraska is able to make Oregons defense bend and get into the redzone, they must score touchdowns.

I am very uncertain about this game. But I sure hope Riley has figured out the Ducks after all these years since he now finally has the depth and talent, or at least more depth and talent then he had at Oregon State.

The interesting thing here is, Oregon hasn't changed their offense in 9 years, and Riley has been running the same thing he did at Oregon State. So both these coaching staffs should be very familiar with each others game plans.

if Virginia can bend them I think we can break them. They are still high powered in the offensive skill positions. Should make for an interesting match up! Agree with the above poster, the battle in the trenches when the skers are defending will be a way to either take control of the game or get mauled in the run game big matchup there.
The game was more like 44-20 rather then the 26. I get this only from the box score as I did not see the ending of the game due to how late it was, but I would imagine Virginia scored in garbage time, and I am sure most of those yardage stats are skewed as Oregon probably had their backups in early in the second half.

One thing was certain, early on in that game Virginia was able to run the ball with huge holes. Hopefully Newby and Ozigbo have big days. Another way to stop Oregon is to keep their offense off the field, so just run on them all day if you are able to.

They left their starters in the whole game I think. The announcers actually made a joke about it late in the 4th. I know the QB played the whole game.

Just watching Oregon it felt like NU would have been having a field day on the ground, and could easily put up 35+ (which we'll need to). If ypu spread the ducks out and run it between the tackles they're going to have issues. Virginia was also penetrating defensively on runs but didn't have the athletes to finish plays before they broke loose. The receiving corp and QBs ability to keep plays alive is what scares me. Along with those jet sweeps they love to run. We've been good at stopping those so far, but we haven't seen anybody run them with this much speed. I'm frankly a little worried that we may be too slow on defense.

We've got a real chance if we can just play sound football on defense. If the offense can play mistake free it will be a big day.

The Oregon starting QB took the snaps on the final drive of the game when Oregon could have kneed to finish, and decided to keep running plays anyways. They received criticism for it. I'm scared of the offense too, but a team who's starters can only put up 44 on Virginia's D and give up 26 to an opponent who only scored 20 on their FCS foe a week before, I'm feeling positive.

This was just the 2nd game for the transfer QB with this roster and this environment. Coach Helfrich knows their needs to be work on timing and chemistry between the new QB and young O-line. No better place to improve those than in a live game situations. Bell-cow Freeman and some of the other offensive starters did sit out a good portion of the 2nd half.

Welcome to Huskerboard.com! :thumbs

I agree with that assessment on why he did what he did. When you've got a game comfortably at hand why not try to work on things in a live game situation that has basically turned into glorified practice at that point? Makes perfect sense to me.

It's obvious both offenses are going to move the ball, that much both sides know for sure. For us we need to keep Oregon's offense off of the field by controlling the clock and then limit our mistakes after that on offense. We're going to move the ball and score points, it's just whether we can get out of our own way or not! We haven't been successful at that for several years now so I'm not counting on a win here by any means. Our secondary has me extremely worried about Oregon's passing game at this point. I'm much more comfortable with what we've seen from our run defense so far. Trouble is the middle of the field seems to be open constantly with the way our defense is operating right now and that's a problem.

• Fire 1

Welcome to our board.

Nice avatar by the way. I am now an Oregon fan. jk,

I have no predetermined result in mind for this game. It's a crap shoot, but the talent level Oregon has is far superior than what we have faced so far this year, so we will have to play as well as we can for a favorable outcome. +1 for your for your avatar, umm, no I mean, for making an appearance to our board.

Yeah I think that 4th and 9 call had to do with Riley thinking they very likely wouldn't get the ball back again anyway. It seemed really risky on its surface, but in that game against that team it was the only call to make.

I have to admit that I thought it was a bad call at the time. But it sure worked out well for us. That's football. :dunno:

Yeah I think that 4th and 9 call had to do with Riley thinking they very likely wouldn't get the ball back again anyway. It seemed really risky on its surface, but in that game against that team it was the only call to make.

I have to admit that I thought it was a bad call at the time. But it sure worked out well for us. That's football. :dunno:

We'd just thrown an incompletion on 3rd down and intially I thought it was a bad call to go for it also, until I stopped and thought about it. After thinking about it, I too realized it was the only call to make.

Riley went hard after a win this game. He went for it on three(?) fourth downs, getting two of them. A clear case of playing for a win rather than playing not to lose.

Now he will be walking around Lincoln all week, going up to the Starbucks barista next Thursday and saying, "Please excuse my appearance what with the sticky shirt and soggy hat. Those darned rascals I coach soaked me in Gatorade last Saturday...you know...like they do to all coaches after a big win against an old nemesis.

"I've got a good notion to make the whole lot of them run stairs, but it meant so much to them that I suppose I'll let it slide this time...as long as it doesn't become a nasty habit. I plan on going home and changing real soon, because everybody is seeing me like this."

:thumbs

• Fire 2