Fo Fiddy

ZRod

Made this for everyone to look at. This is a question for anyone who coaches or truly knows special teams, what is the goal in our punt coverage? Why release every Northwestern gunner and allow them to swarm our punt returner? Truly baffling.

Link

post-11785-0-78689900-1474817610_thumb.gif

Ya, I just don't get it. It's like Read thinks fake punts happen 90% of the time. He's so worried about them that we're not utilizing one of the most important plays we have, the punt return. If we didn't have a great punt returner it wouldn't piss me off so much.

Seems like when the other team is punting near midfield that Nebraska thinks it is going to be a fair catch situation in almost every case. Because of this they focus on other things. If I am right it is an interesting contrast in philosophy given how much of the rest of the team is based on total effort.

I'm not that concerned that our guy didn't try to return most of the punts. Apparently it's hard to find good punters these days and the ones on the teams we played can only kick a 30 yard squibber.

​If DPE really is worried about returning kicks then we should go with Morgan, Westy, or one of the new guys.

Made this for everyone to look at. This is a question for anyone who coaches or truly knows special teams, what is the goal in our punt coverage? Why release every Northwestern gunner and allow them to swarm our punt returner? Truly baffling.

Link

attachicon.gifeX6jTPB - Imgur.gif

This is easy......they're hiking the ball on our 45 and we expect a fake. Do you think this is characteristic of every punt return? If you can find zero blocking on ordinary punts then please share it.

Link

This is easy......they're hiking the ball on our 45 and we expect a fake. Do you think this is characteristic of every punt return? If you can find zero blocking on ordinary punts then please share it.

Well, you really don't have to go very far to find the examples you are asking for. Look at the OP of this thread.

It's our special teams low lights from the Wyoming game. Every punt return, green light for the punter with four defenders watching him, and 9 men on a PAT.

jVqHSl.png

U8dhDg.png

PXT6L6.png

nmlSx2.png

bvAGuy.png

I

Link

Well, you really don't have to go very far to find the examples you are asking for. Look at the OP of this thread.

It's our special teams low lights from the Wyoming game. Every punt return, green light for the punter with four defenders watching him, and 9 men on a PAT.

jVqHSl.png
U8dhDg.png
PXT6L6.png
nmlSx2.png
bvAGuy.png

I'm not doubting you, I've just noticed a bunch of unfieldable punts this year that will probably go away against better teams. This HAS changed my opinion about why DPE is fair-catching everything. Maybe our coach IS an idiot??

Link

I'll start by saying that I think Fo Fiddy needs to be fired or at least not taking up a coaching spot. Having said that, I heard that the Huskers were worried about NW faking a(some) punt(s) to try to stay in the game.

Fo Fiddy does get credit for his guys being ready for the fake FG.

It get it if you want to argue that on a short field it is a judgement call based on philosophy as to whether you play for a return or play against the fake, but what about this one?

Not sure. Maybe playing it safe late in the game with a team that has struggled moving the ball and being down by a few scores.

Link

I'll start by saying that I think Fo Fiddy needs to be fired or at least not taking up a coaching spot. Having said that, I heard that the Huskers were worried about NW faking a(some) punt(s) to try to stay in the game.

Fo Fiddy does get credit for his guys being ready for the fake FG.

This is not a one game thing. This has occurred in every game this season, during most punts to Nebraska, with the exception of the big DPE return against Oregon and a few others. This is a carryover from last year's special teams punt return scheme. It is a philosophy deal with FoFiddy, and I would like to know why. You put your punt returner on an island nearly every time and ask him to make a clutch catch or seriously risk losing it. Furthermore, you have a Jet Award winner returning your punts and you are icing him on purpose. It is just unfathomable to me.

• Fire 2