“You can only sell 20 years ago for so long"- Mike Osborne

TGHusker

The game hasnt even been played yet and there's already downplaying of a possible win going on.

Look. Oregon is a big name right now. You think back in 1998 when Nebraska was in the midst of its worst season in 30 years, that KState gave a flying frick about that? Nebraska was still Nebraska. Iowa St in 92? Kansas in 2005? It doesnt matter. It was Nebraska.

This win would be a huge deal right now, whether Oregon goes 11-1 or 4-8. Why? Cuz right now, in this moment, Oregon is still Oregon. And it's about what the win means in the moment. And how that moment can really catapult or kickstart a program. So please. Dont downplay this. It's a big frickin deal.

This was my point, stated more eloquently than I ever could.

Fair enough to both of you.

• Fire 1

The game hasnt even been played yet and there's already downplaying of a possible win going on.

Look. Oregon is a big name right now. You think back in 1998 when Nebraska was in the midst of its worst season in 30 years, that KState gave a flying frick about that? Nebraska was still Nebraska. Iowa St in 92? Kansas in 2005? It doesnt matter. It was Nebraska.

This win would be a huge deal right now, whether Oregon goes 11-1 or 4-8. Why? Cuz right now, in this moment, Oregon is still Oregon. And it's about what the win means in the moment. And how that moment can really catapult or kickstart a program. So please. Dont downplay this. It's a big frickin deal.

I posted this after reading like the 6th post of the thread and already having seen multiple accounts of downplaying it. Did not even read through enought to see yours. I apologize for stealing your thunder.

It would be a big win but at the same point seeing people say this game is going to mark the "rebirth" of the huskers is ridiculous.

It may not mark the "rebirth", but if we are going to have the rebirth at any point we have to win these types of games. I think that is why it is such a big game.

Ppl arent saying it's going to mark........

theyre saying it could. Because what it really depends on is what we do after (if) we win.

I posted this after reading like the 6th post of the thread and already having seen multiple accounts of downplaying it. Did not even read through enought to see yours. I apologize for stealing your thunder.

Ha. I don't care about that. I'm jacked up for this week.

It would be a big win but at the same point seeing people say this game is going to mark the "rebirth" of the huskers is ridiculous.

It may not mark the "rebirth", but if we are going to have the rebirth at any point we have to win these types of games. I think that is why it is such a big game.

Ppl arent saying it's going to mark........

theyre saying it could. Because what it really depends on is what we do after (if) we win.

Yep, it is a step towards the thing we all hope for. A return to relevance and a chance at championships.

IMO, a win shows Riley is the right guy for the job. When he came here, people, myself included, wondered why we hired a .500 coach. Those who initially supported, to include many coaches and former players said he did a lot with a little. That now he had the athletes and facilities his abilities would show.

That's what I'm hoping for. A win, against a team that beat him 7 years running. A chance to not only beat Oregon (as noted above, still Oregon) and restore a little respect nationally for the Huskers, but to also show Riley and Co, with the tools can get us the wins......

• Fire 2

^This

Perfect. Although I don't blame the duck guy for doing what he's doing. He knows his team better than anyone and want's to share his view. It's just not what people want to/care to hear. I remember how shocked/upset people were about that 2005 Kansas loss, but I wasn't. I tried to explain even before the game my concerns, no one really listened. In everyone's minds we were still Nebraska and they were still Kansas despite all that had changed....

Don't underestimate how bad Hoke is. He has not been a DC since High School. He did coach some DL (at Oregon State of all places) and DE. Our offense should be able to score. We just have to limit turnovers. If we beat Oregon, I don't see them finishing above #15, so it will not seem that impressive, but we don't need an overly impressive win. We need to beat any team that is ranked 15 or lower.

I agree Oregon isn't quite up to the level where they have been for the past decade or so. Coaching changes and losing a Heisman QB will do that to you. But they are still a good team with a lot of exceptional athletes. So no, this wouldn't be a "great win" in the sense that Oregon will be a top-5 team this year as people may have hoped. But it would still be a great win because Nebraska has struggled for a decade to beat most top-25 teams, particularly the hyped ones, just like this Oregon team.