Run Defense - 88th (166.0 ypg)

Scoring Offense - 18th (43.3 ppg)

Total Offense - 41st (461.3 ypg)

Pass Efficiency Offense - 32nd (155.88)

Pass Offense - t55th (242.0 ypg)

Run Offense - 34th (219.3 ypg)

3rd Down Offense - 34th (.474)

3rd Down Defense - t37th (.308)

Passing Yards Per Completion - 9th (16.50)

Kickoff Return - t19th (26.33 ypr)

Kickoff Return Defense - 45th (19.27 ypr)

Turnover Margin - t5th (6, 2.00 per game)

• Fire 3

I'm surprised by the run defense. Really expected to be better than that. But, really proud of the pass defense and how it has come along.

The run defense is skewed by Oregon's huge rushing stats on Saturday, which were boosted by a few big plays.

I thought the D played well overall on Saturday. Two of the long TD's on Saturday had bad alignment by the LB's, and then Banderas missed a tackle on the 4th and 2 run that the RB went 40 yards for a TD. The pass defense is a lot better than it was last year, and the secondary is playing confidently.

The run D should improve over the next few weeks against weaker Big Ten opponents.

I'm surprised by the run defense. Really expected to be better than that. But, really proud of the pass defense and how it has come along.

The run defense is skewed by Oregon's huge rushing stats on Saturday, which were boosted by a few big plays.

I thought the D played well overall on Saturday. Two of the long TD's on Saturday had bad alignment by the LB's, and then Banderas missed a tackle on the 4th and 2 run that the RB went 40 yards for a TD. The pass defense is a lot better than it was last year, and the secondary is playing confidently.

The run D should improve over the next few weeks against weaker Big Ten opponents.

Agree. I think Oregon will negatively effect any teams run D stats. They were quick off the edge. As Banker and the players said, you miss and its 6 points. I do not think we will see speed like that for the rest of the year.

I also think that it goes back to last years stats. Our run D was much "better" as our pass D was a joke. Why run when you can pass. I'd settle for us being better than average against both run and pass. This way teams will have to work to move the ball. No easy yards through the air or on the ground.

Traditional stats are a good indicator, but I like to see more sophisticated stats that measure efficiency. Team Defenses can look better than what they actually are, if they have an offense that slows down tempo and reduces the amount of possessions during the game. There is also such a small sample size, that stats can be skewed at this point.

http://www.cfbanalytics.com/ appears to be a good site to look at some non-traditional stats that can go further in depth with the numbers.

• Fire 1

The statistics tend to not be surprising to me and I suppose we are ranked about where I might have guessed before looking.

After about 5 games worth, you will have a much better 'average' that will be starting to more indicative and not rather radically influenced up or down by a handful of plays or even one whole game or one opponent's success or failures.

Defenses are helped by having a strong complementary 'ball control' and scoring offense that can use up lots of clock time, holding on and marching the ball methodically down field. Just as getting lots of interceptions and fumble recoveries can help the offense score a bunch without having to march it a long way down the fieild.

Agree. I think Oregon will negatively effect any teams run D stats. They were quick off the edge. As Banker and the players said, you miss and its 6 points. I do not think we will see speed like that for the rest of the year.

I also think that it goes back to last years stats. Our run D was much "better" as our pass D was a joke. Why run when you can pass. I'd settle for us being better than average against both run and pass. This way teams will have to work to move the ball. No easy yards through the air or on the ground.

If you watch, our D end on the three man line kept biting inside on fakes giving up the edge to Oregon.

If you watch, our D end on the three man line kept biting inside on fakes giving up the edge to Oregon.

Doesn't the Oregon offense read the defensive end? So isn't that pretty usual?

Yes, the defensive end is usually unblocked and read in Oregon's schemes. There is a good chance that Parella instructed the DE's to crash down on the RB to force the QB to keep and have the remaining defenders flow to the QB. There is nothing the DE can do. He has to choose either the RB or the QB. Sometimes he can guess, but that can screw up the remaining assignments of the D.

Yes, the defensive end is usually unblocked and read in Oregon's schemes. There is a good chance that Parella instructed the DE's to crash down on the RB to force the QB to keep and have the remaining defenders flow to the QB. There is nothing the DE can do. He has to choose either the RB or the QB. Sometimes he can guess, but that can screw up the remaining assignments of the D.

Our DEs were playing it completely passively. They were "squeezing" the hole - sliding toward the tackle that was blocking away so as not to let the running go inside them. That had the effect of taking themselves completely out of the play and making it easy to run around the edge. They weren't going to make the tackle on either the QB or RB unless they ran straight ahead.