1st Place In The West

We might well win our first seven games this year only to lose four of the last five. It's going to be a serious -- and pleasantly surprising -- accomplishment if Nebraska can take the West title this season. Let's not get too dizzy over this 5-0 start and the #15 ranking just yet.

That coach got fired.

Not that I really disagree with you. There have just been so many games that the old team would have rolled over and let the other team put up 50 unanswered. Plus, I remember all the Oregon State fans saying Riley is good for at least one upset every season. It is so hard to let down my guard and be hopeful for a meaningful season, but I'm almost there.

Yeah he did...and so will this one if they lose four of the last five.

So far Riley has not pulled a Riley...he has not lost a game he should have won (this year)...hopefully he keeps it up because that will mean a 1 or 2 loss regular season.

I think this has more to do with the team than coaching. This team has a lot of heart. That seems to be something that has been lacking the last few years

Is the team's heart not indicative of good coaching?

Not really. It is more of an individual person type thing. You can be the greatest X's and O's mind ever but if you have guys on your team that don't care or that are quitters it won't really matter.

LSU and Mich St are NOT top ten teams. Those two are hot garbage and only show how flawed and pointless the AP poll is. Our ranking is just as itrelevant. Sure its cool to see that little number next to us on scoreboard tickers. And i know its only year three of this playoff system so its gonna take time before most ppl just stop paying attention to the rankings prior week 8.

• Fire 1

I think we're overlooking a few key facts:

1) Illinois had two weeks to prepare for Nebraska. Two weeks to install sets that Nebraska wasn't able to see on film because there was no film on it. Two weeks to get healthier to go up against a Nebraska team who was playing its fifth game in a row. Plus, Illinois features a couple of running backs and defensive ends that were expected to give Nebraska's defense problems. That Nebraska held Illinois to 270 yards and 16 points while putting up 423 yards and 31 points is a good performance, a performance that should continue to build confidence.

2) Wisconsin's defense is great, very fundamentally sound and they've put up good numbers against Michigan State, Michigan, and LSU, all of whom have QBs who can a) run but not throw or throw but not run. However, they haven't faced a true dual-threat QB, and won't until they play the Buckeyes. I hope Langsdorf really pays attention to what Ohio State does against Wisconsin as that should give him the blueprint for what Nebraska needs to do to beat Wisconsin. I'm not convinced our offense stands no chance against their defense.

3) Michigan State really isn't the Michigan State of last year, and though Indiana's win is surprising, it wasn't completely unexpected. State's wins this year have come against Furman who was only a possession behind the Spartans heading into the 4th quarter and a Notre Dame team who has already fired their defensive coordinator. State has struggled offensively, yet was able to rack up over 400 yards of offense against the Hoosiers. State's secondary struggles, yet they held Indiana to fewer than 300 yards through the air. The Hoosiers are without doubt an improved team this year, but Nebraska should handle them.

Needless to say, Nebraska's season is going to come down to how they perform against Wisconsin and Ohio State. They've shown they have the talent and will to win at least one of those games, and nothing I've seen tells me they won't.

• Fire 2

Needless to say, Nebraska's season is going to come down to how they perform against Wisconsin and Ohio State. They've shown they have the talent and will to win at least one of those games, and nothing I've seen tells me they won't.

Or....it isn't going to. When's the last time we beat everyone on our schedule that we should have beaten without any slip ups?

Their O is as weak as their D is strong. I think our O can move the ball on them. Langs will have to call a complete came for 4 quarters. Not just every other play. I think TA is improved enough that if they stack the box (they will) he can beat their DB's with his arm and our receivers (healthy!!!!!). We will need to implement some misdirection and more PA IMO to exploit their blitzes and DL.

We need to hit the QB often, hard and get inside his head much like we did against Wyoming. That'll be the key. And the front 7 need to be ready for the run game......

To add, first in the West sounds pretty damn good. Something we were not last year!

Langsdorf does just fine calling the games.