Huskers secondary steppin' up big

zoogs

Pretty cool. So many worries about them last season. Coaches and players have really stepped it up. Well, well done.

I mean, was Aaron Williams in the picture very much last year? I think he played a small role in certain packages. Kalu and Jones had some solid showings but also some struggles. Jones in particular seems to be really charging ahead. So fast he might enter the NFL draft, and that would've been a crazy idea to me last year. Great for him!

Kalu, by the way, what a monster game yesterday. Really showed up with a lot of big tackles. Don't mess with #10.

• Fire 1

This is solely why our defense has improved this year. Major turnaround....finally some TAKEAWAYS

Kieron Williams (43 tackles - leads team) 2 TFL, 2 INT

Nate Gerry (37 tackles - second on team) 7 TFL, 2 INT

Joshua Kalu (29 tackles) 1 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT

Aaron Williams (21 tackles) 3 TFL, 1 sack, 3 INT

Chris Jones (15 tackles) 2 TFL, 1 sack, 3 INT

If Jones can get a high grading for the next level than I am all for him going into the draft. If he decides to come back we would have one deadly secondary. All players back besides Gerry, but A. Will takes his spot and Jackson fills in for where A. Will is now.

Chris Jones - Most improved player on the team without even any conversation, IMO.

Remember that study we did in the sports lab inside of east stadium on the way that our corners were turning flat-footed to get up to full speed? Seems like that has made a difference.

Defense was good on Saturday.

• Fire 1

Prior to Saturday, the takeaway/turnover margin stat was interesting. yes. We were +4. and had a good number of takeaways. But it was bit skewed getting inside it. 4 of those came in few minute stretch against Wyoming. not discrediting that, cuz it happened. But if you look beyond that one stretch, we're even in turnovers, and the takeaway column dont look quite as exciting.

I believe we were even Saturday? 2 and 2? Or doesnt the punt block count as a TO?

• Fire 1

This is solely why our defense has improved this year. Major turnaround....finally some TAKEAWAYS

If Jones can get a high grading for the next level than I am all for him going into the draft. If he decides to come back we would have one deadly secondary. All players back besides Gerry, but A. Will takes his spot and Jackson fills in for where A. Will is now.

Gerry with 7 TFL is impressive! Man he can fly up with run support. But agreed with Chris Jones. If he grades highly and the NFL is the right choice for him go for it, but our secondary is and will be lights out again next year if he returns.

Gerry with 7 TFL is impressive! Man he can fly up with run support. But agreed with Chris Jones. If he grades highly and the NFL is the right choice for him go for it, but our secondary is and will be lights out again next year if he returns.

I would add to this a D-Line with some more experience next year will make the secondary even better.

He had some great moments in that game against Indiana where he met the running back at the hole on the offensive line and brought the noise with him. Some good hits on that RB.

I would add to this a D-Line with some more experience next year will make the secondary even better.
our whole defensive unit should be very salty if we don't have any early departures. This gives me confidence in 2017. The offense will be new and a question mark but this defense will be stout!