Let's Be Honest...

Sitting here at 6-0, with 7-0 all but a mathematical certainty, would 9-3 really be a "great season"? I want to see these "power polls" and get worked up when an undefeated Nebraska team is nowhere near the Top 10, but honestly, I find myself agreeing with them.

Taking it a step further, I think both Iowa and Nebraska will be 6-2 in Big 10 play heading into the game at Iowa City -- which the Hawkeyes will clearly be favored in. If we go 9-3 and don't make the Big 10 Championship game, are we doing cartwheels? I'm not. I'm thrilled it isn't the heart-breaking debacle that last season was, and I'm not holding this team / program to a mid-90's level of accomplishment, but I'm just not sure a 2-3 finish and no Big 10 Title game is going to feel all that hot given where we'll be standing (7-0, top 6-8 in America...although I think that ranking is fraudulent) a week from today.

I'm I just being uncharacteristically pessimistic? Should I be drinking more of the Kool-Aid?

• Fire 2

I'd be just fine with 9-3. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota and Iowa are all good football teams, and while I think we're better than two of them and worse than the other two, this late in the season those games are anyone's for the taking and the chances of 11-1 and 9-3 are roughly the same imo.

The way we end the season is more important than the number of wins and losses we have, imo. I'd rather go 9-3 regular season while winning a respectable bowl game than go 10-2 and lose a championship game and a bowl game.

• Fire 1

I don't think it's pessimistic to see three losses looming on the horizon.

None of Nebraska's opponents thus far have a single vote in any poll. And we've had our hands full with them. The schedule jacks up considerably after Purdue --yet another game we can't afford to mail in.

At the same time I'm going to go ahead and feel good about 6-0, about a team that seems to be enjoying itself a lot more, and that knows how to close in the fourth quarter. The defense is coming around, the buy-in appears to be working and recruiting might be falling into place.

Anything is possible, but at the moment I'm still watching a Nebraska team that can easily lose to better opponents. 9 - 3 would feel like progress to me. And it will likely come with a feelgood upset of a Wisconsin (or why not Ohio State?) and a sloppy loss or two to Minnesota, Maryland or Iowa. That's just life in the Top 25 these days.

• Fire 3

Well, if youre someone who predicted 9-3 or 8-4, even 7-5, then 9-3 shouldnt be dissappointing at all. it shouldnt matter how you get there.

But, i see how it all changed getting by Oregon and the vastly perceieved trap games at Evanston and Bloomington. Now the only thing left in our way are two games most probably chalked up as losses to begin with. At this point, more than 2 reg season losses means a loss to Maryland or Minnesota.

Lastly, how is Iowa gonna score on us?

Compared to how we've started? Yea, that would probably be a let down.

Compared to last year? It'd feel amazing.

See, this is what I don't understand. We are supposed to feel good about going 9-3, just because the team was a dumpster fire last year?

Bo and his staff got fired for repeatedly having 9-3 regular seasons, and falling short of expectations. So, why are we supposed to lower our expectations after Riley's terrible first year?

• Fire 1

It'd be pretty hard to go from 6-7 to a playoff berth in one year. 9-3—if that's what we end up at—will be a step in the right direction. I'd be okay with that. Especially if we top it off with a great recruiting class—which we have the makings of right now. :thumbs:

• Fire 2

See, this is what I don't understand. We are supposed to feel good about going 9-3, just because the team was a dumpster fire last year?

Bo and his staff got fired for repeatedly having 9-3 regular seasons, and falling short of expectations. So, why are we supposed to lower our expectations after Riley's terrible first year?

Because Bo never showed signs of progress. Regardless of whether or not it's to the point we'd like, 9-3 after 6-7 is progress. Progress leads to better results.

Anyways, I've thought all season that Minnesota is going to be the biggest trap game. That game more than anything makes me see 9-3 as a possibility.

• Fire 1