This loss vs. Wisconsin is on Langsdorf...

They did call plays to get to the edge tonight. Obviously not to everyone's satisfaction, but it never is. Those plays also didn't work all the time.

Yeah, I'd love for Nebraska to have had 400 yards of offense tonight, but I think they hung in there and played Wisky pretty tough. Yardage of any kind was hard to come by, but they made some key plays and were in position to win it.

"Weak" is trying to pin this loss on a coach or a part of the team. I'll pass on that. I'm enjoying this season too much to partake :D

Agreed here. Losing this game hasn't gotten me near as down as losses usually do. I really think we can win out now. I even think the game will be a confidence builder for the players.

• Fire 2

They did call plays to get to the edge tonight. Obviously not to everyone's satisfaction, but it never is. Those plays also didn't work all the time.

Yeah, I'd love for Nebraska to have had 400 yards of offense tonight, but I think they hung in there and played Wisky pretty tough. Yardage of any kind was hard to come by, but they made some key plays and were in position to win it.

"Weak" is trying to pin this loss on a coach or a part of the team. I'll pass on that. I'm enjoying this season too much to partake :D

people want to vilify Langs regardless. 3rd series of the game people complained he just ran it up the middle on first down every time when he had thrown a bubble screen on first down the drive before.

As much as I'm tempted to blame this one on Langs, the simple truth is their defense was better than our offense (and our defense) and their offense made a few more plays against our defense. That's it. Sure it's hard to understand why we attempted so often, unsuccessfully the vast majority of the time, to run straight at them between the tackles. Sure it seemed like we had more success on the perimeter. But our O line is just not good enough to go up against a defense like that and Tommy, the gamer that he is, is not going to beat a good D with his passing and we had no run game to speak of. Our guys did about the best they could and nobody hereabouts probably wants to hear it but, the better team won. We didn't lose because we quit or because of a few uncalled penalties. Langs really had nothing to go to because nothing really was working. This one hurt. Let's hope they can bounce back and get the Buckeyes.

• Fire 2

If this loss is on Langsdorf then the wins are on him too, right?I mean... yeah, there are a lot of things we can second-guess him for tonight. Rolling Tommy out was the first thing I thought of, too. But he's gotten it to work seven times already this year. Damned near got it to work this week.

I think so, yes. To a large degree.

I think he cost us several games last year by insisting on throwing waaaay too much. I gave him a lot of credit in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois stretch for getting TA a lot of easy throws and sticking with a run-heavy game plan.

However, the last three games he's kind of reverted back towards last year. The easy throws have become far less frequesnt - though they did reappear late tonight. And he's done a better job sticking with the run but the last three games he's stuck in a right-up-the-middle rut. Against Purdue 80% of Newby's carries were right up the middle. It wasn't quite as bad tonight but still way too much. You have to do that some to keep the defense honest but it should be 70% outside, 30% inside, not the other way around. Especially with a back that's as good in space as Newby.

If this loss is on Langsdorf then the wins are on him too, right?I mean... yeah, there are a lot of things we can second-guess him for tonight. Rolling Tommy out was the first thing I thought of, too. But he's gotten it to work seven times already this year. Damned near got it to work this week.

I think he cost us several games last year by insisting on throwing waaaay too much. I gave him a lot of credit in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois stretch for getting TA a lot of easy throws and sticking with a run-heavy game plan.

However, the last three games he's kind of reverted back towards last year. The easy throws have become far less frequesnt - though they did reappear late tonight. And he's done a better job sticking with the run but the last three games he's stuck in a right-up-the-middle rut. Against Purdue 80% of Newby's carries were right up the middle. It wasn't quite as bad tonight but still way too much. You have to do that some to keep the defense honest but it should be 70% outside, 30% inside, not the other way around. Especially with a back that's as good in space as Newby.

Agree with the bolded. The first 5 games, Langs really exploited the defenses. The past 3, not so much. We can talk about injuries to the OL, Carter, etc all day long, but the end of the day he is the OC and has to find a way to counter aggressive defenses. He seems to have reverted back to his old ways. Running to say we run with no play setting up another, passing to TA's weaknesses and ignoring what was working....

Agree with the bolded. The first 5 games, Langs really exploited the defenses. The past 3, not so much. We can talk about injuries to the OL, Carter, etc all day long, but the end of the day he is the OC and has to find a way to counter aggressive defenses. He seems to have reverted back to his old ways. Running to say we run with no play setting up another, passing to TA's weaknesses and ignoring what was working....

What happens when he doesn't have the Jimmys and the Joes to do that? I'm watching FSU and Cook just scored on an outside run. Except it was called inside zone and he bounced it. We don't have that guy right now. Haven't since Ameer.

What happens when he doesn't have the Jimmys and the Joes to do that? I'm watching FSU and Cook just scored on an outside run. Except it was called inside zone and he bounced it. We don't have that guy right now. Haven't since Ameer.

I guess I'd go with more zone read or option. I didn't see much, if any RPO tonight for TA. Try to get the bubble screens going with misdirection. Looking at chalk talk the past few weeks, Langs did a great job in the first 5 games using plays to set up plays. Motioning a receiver to see what the LB's did and then calling a play to exploit that. Use counters or traps. Use the QB run game more. Unsure if injury or what, but TA appears hobbled. Either by injury or design. Maybe its like someone said earlier, not a lot of confidence in our back up QB's so keep TA safe...

What do you want him to do with a beat up OL and a QB who is struggling? Honestly he called a pretty good game.

Not run in into the middle of the line 70% of the time where you have to rely totally on the beat up OL to get all the push into an 8 or 9 man box. Run to the outside where all they have to do is slow their guy up for a moment and let Newby run away from them. Which worked pretty well tonight. When it was called.

What do you want him to do with a beat up OL and a QB who is struggling? Honestly he called a pretty good game.

I would think with your OL struggling you run a lot of counter and mis-direction. Try to get the defense moving a little bit in the wrong direction. That gives your line better angles and easier blocks. Just like the commentator said on one of Wisconsin's longer runs right up the middle. The jet sweep action affected our LB'ers just enough for the play to hit big.

But to me, if you OL is struggling that much, asking them to physically win the battle straight up against the DL doesn't make much sense.

I would think with your OL struggling you run a lot of counter and mis-direction. Try to get the defense moving a little bit in the wrong direction. That gives your line better angles and easier blocks. Just like the commentator said on one of Wisconsin's longer runs right up the middle. The jet sweep action affected our LB'ers just enough for the play to hit big.

But to me, if you OL is struggling that much, asking them to physically win the battle straight up against the DL doesn't make much sense.

Counter and mis-direction most often call for a lineman to pull. Too slow developing when we are as hobbled as we are and are down to second and third string OG on both sides.

• Fire 3

Counter and mis-direction most often call for a lineman to pull. Too slow developing when we are as hobbled as we are and are down to second and third string OG on both sides.
Good point, but....

Wouldn't you think the 2nd or 3rd teamer would have better luck at making a good block on the edge after he pulls as opposed to taking on a DL straight up at the point of attack? Plus at least on the edge you give your back a better chance of making someone miss. More so than if the OL is stuffed into the hole.

It what teams with smaller( and quicker, which admittedly is probably not us) OL have done for years, try to give them angles rather than trying to match up physically.

Good point, but....

Wouldn't you think the 2nd or 3rd teamer would have better luck at making a good block on the edge after he pulls as opposed to taking on a DL straight up at the point of attack? Plus at least on the edge you give your back a better chance of making someone miss. More so than if the OL is stuffed into the hole.

Asking a second or third teamer to block straight up would always be better imo

Good point, but....

Asking a second or third teamer to block straight up would always be better imo

Cool. Just different thoughts and opinions on it I guess.