How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

To me its all about leadership.

It starts at the top with the AD and President. When they decide being great on the football field is very important and are willing to pay, this will likely get fixed...alledgedly Phil Knight is willing to pay $10M for a Head coach at Oregon. kids want to play at the next level and will go to Alaska to get that coaching if they have to...we don't have that because we haven't been willing to do what it takes. That means the best coaches from HC down through all position coaches and S and C.

Mike Riley gets $2.7M annual salary. mathematically he is valued a little under 1/3 of what Harbaugh is. he's probably done 1/3 of what Harbaugh has done... Had Harbaugh been a husker, we wouldn't have offered him what Michigan did.

Michigan is probably paying $10-15M more than us on football...and Ill bet they are recouping every penny and more...you gotta build it and they will come.

this is a business

Just paying high doesn't get you performance, .paying high for high quality does.

• Fire 1

Agreed. Nebraska needs to be 3rd in the Big Ten each year in recruiting with 1 "freak" recruit each year.

On a second note, Michigan had a plan and it worked, the timing worked everything set up perfectly for them. It would be like if Frost had been at say, UCF for 5 years and went 6-6, 8-4, 10-2, 11-1, 11-1 and all of a sudden the Nebraska job came open.

If frost does that well at UCF and lasts there 5 years, I'd be shocked if he took a NU job. He'd intelligently take a job in the south or California. If we are going to make a play at Frost, it needs to be within the next two years.
Not that it means much, but one of the big time Oregon boosters I was speaking to back in September stated that Frost's dream job is Nebraska.
I've heard differently. Not sure that Frost wants any part of the "greatest" fans that gave him the Martinez/Armstrong treatment.

Just passing along the information. I dont know if it's true or not, seems a bit ridiculous for this random guy to blow smoke, so I'll optimistically assume it is.

I've heard differently. Not sure that Frost wants any part of the "greatest" fans that gave him the Martinez/Armstrong treatment.

Nah. Frost learned how to deal with the "greatest" fans while he as at NU. Fans don't have any power over players, unless they give them the power. They certainly can't fire anyone. It's the administration that has to give Frost pause, if he truly has aspirations to coach at NU. That administration, in the form of two incompetent ADs, along with a complicit and incompetent chancellor, has made two of the most damaging decisions regarding coaches, that have put NU in the position it finds itself in. NU had two coaches who brought the football program to basically where Harbaugh has Michigan now. They both went to the CCG In their second year; one winning and one losing. But, to the short sighted administrators, that, along with other accomplishments, wasn't enough, and both were eventually fired.

I wouldn't put my trust in the school's administration to watch my back. Urban Meyer was right in his observations about the administration back in 2003/2004, and how he would not work for a program that fires a coach who won nine games.

• Fire 2

I am not sure if there has ever been a more perfect hire than JH and Meyer for their schools. It sort of is just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Kind of like how Tom Osborne was a perfect hire for NU in 1972. While Osborne wasn't a NU grad, he was a native Nebraskan who was in the right place in the right time to take over for Devaney.

NU has been trying to fill those shoes for 20 years.

Harbaugh is a real good coach, he has shown a track record of success at USD, Stanford, the Niners, and now UM. He's competitive and fiery, he's a players coach so these kids are going to gravitate towards him and trust him. He took over a program that had recruited at a high level already but was underperforming at an incredible rate, it's easier to take over a program and demand buy-in when no one is happy and the team is unsuccessful. Wiping his players blood on his own face on the sideline...he is great motivator and can find ways to encourage players to take their game a step further.

The recipe makes sense for their immediate success, but I am still hedging my opinion on his longterm success. The guy is over the top, he is a huge whiner on the sidelines, and if/when his act gets old and tired or if administration has to clamp down on him, people won't be envying Michigan like they do now.

I am not sure if there has ever been a more perfect hire than JH and Meyer for their schools. It sort of is just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Kind of like how Tom Osborne was a perfect hire for NU in 1972. While Osborne wasn't a NU grad, he was a native Nebraskan who was in the right place in the right time to take over for Devaney.

Umm what? Tom was with the program since '64, was a proven OC by '72

Umm what? Tom was with the program since '64, was a proven OC by '72

I understand that Tom was with the program in the 60's and was a proven OC, but it was still somewhat of a controversial hire by Devaney, as there were more seasoned assistant coaches on his staff.

My point was that sometimes it's pure luck to have someone with ties to the state or program that turns out to be a great coach and is a good fit for the program.