Trump's cabinet

3 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

How is it possible that someone smart enough to graduate from Yale and do neurosurgery on little kids, is also capable of doing and saying some of the dumb things that he has . Sheesh ,  It’s mind boggling .      :ahhhhhhhh

I just saw this on CNN ... had forgotten how bad it was.

• Plus1 1

In at least one way I see Ben Carson as a mini version of Trump, as far as how people perceive him.

He's an idiot in a lot of ways, and people think he's a genius because he's a Dr.
Trump is an idiot in a lot of ways, and people think he's a genius because he has money.

"A lot of people who go into prison straight and when they come out, they’re gay, so did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question," Carson told Chris Cuomo.

“You said Obamacare was the worst thing that has happened to this coutry since slavery. Why do you think it was worse than 9/11?” I asked him.

“Because 9/11 is an isolated incident,” he answered.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

How is it possible that someone smart enough to graduate from Yale and do neurosurgery on little kids, is also capable of doing and saying some of the dumb things that he has . Sheesh ,  It’s mind boggling .      :ahhhhhhhh

Get anyone out of their expertise and they are no different than anyone else.  I think I'm pretty knowledgeable in my profession & have taught professional development seminars & teach as an adjunct but put me in govt wt no prior experience and I'd fall flat too (however, I'm a very well qualified to be an arm chair political commentator on HB :P with same lack of experience - God help us all:blink:)  But to your point, common sense seems to be greatly lacking at times.  I think when we get surrounded by the trappings of power, wealth, and entitlement we can become self deceived and common sense is often one of the first restraining forces to leave us.  We over ride it wt excuses of all kinds - like-  "I/we deserve this." 

Unfortunately, we have a whole administrative staff that is 'out of their element'.  Like fish flopping around on the ground, this admin is creating one blunder after another and staff members are leaving in droves (relative to normal turnover) - they want to get back into the water of their known element.   Thus you have the 'Carp in Chief'  making  bigger blunders - his tariff statement yesterday, his due process statement a few days ago, etc. 

If you want to keep from self deception and keep pride in check and common sense at the forefront of your life, I'd suggest reading the book of Proverbs - one chapter a day and you will be through it in a month.  Outline its words of guidance and then most importantly practice them - and bingo - common sense returns.  Proverbs, the book of wisdom, has a way of dealing with our prideful, wandering, selfish, self important heart.  Wisdom has been defined as properly applied knowledge. 

• Plus1 2

Something I'm thinking about in regards to the "resilience" of American institutions -- well, to an extent, but we're losing a lot. This is inevitable when you are under attack, you take hits. Like maybe we'll stay standing in the sense that Republicans will prevent Trump from starting pointless trade wars with our European allies. They'll act here, while endorsing the MS-13 ads and the rest of his f'd up agenda. Things like basic rights for LGBTQ were hard fought, but sadly, obviously peripheral to most of us. These things are not resilient and may not stand; indeed, they will be the first to really fall. And losing those gains is not OK.