Trump's America

zoogs

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I refuse to engage politically with people on Facebook. 

Definitely don't have to do that. I ~mostly~ don't engage politically on Facebook either, but if I unfriended everyone that shares wacky right wing s#!t, I wouldn't be facebook friends with almost my entire family, and most of my friends from high school and college, and then I'd just be in my own echo chamber of people that agree with everything I think.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

They're the people we've all gotta keep in touch with if we can handle it! The further we separate and isolate ourselves the worse our tribal instincts will be and the easier it will be to dehumanize each other and forget that they're also complex people.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I refuse to engage politically with people on Facebook. 

I change my mind back and forth between these things. I want to try to reach people to do something but I feel like it's hopeless with 99% of people, and some are too far gone to even try. The guy who posted that (who I didn't talk to at all because he might try to murder me) is definitely too far gone. There's no reasoning with someone like that. In total I've unfriended 3 people from FB due to politics and I wasn't very close with them in real life anyway.

• Plus1 1

Sometimes my friends make political posts on Facebook that simply aren't true.

I provide the link to the least partisan news source I can find.

More often than not they say "Thanks. Didn't know that." I've been corrected, too. So there's that. 

But those are actually friends on Facebook. There are all sorts of other Facebook Friends; people I've never met saying idiot things on a mutual friend's Facebook feed. Those never end well.

Still, I have yet to unfriend anyone. Can't do it for some reason. 

28 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So you unfriend them to accomplish that?

That is what I ultimately do.  I give them a long enough leash with regards to filling my timeline with a bunch of right or left wing propaganda bulls#!t.  But once I've had enough, I unfriend them.  That includes family.  I've unfriended my own Godmother already.  I'm up to at least 15-20 family members unfriended.  #Noragrets

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

That is what I ultimately do.  I give them a long enough leash with regards to filling my timeline with a bunch of right or left wing propaganda bulls#!t.  But once I've had enough, I unfriend them.  That includes family.  I've unfriended my own Godmother already.  I'm up to at least 15-20 family members unfriended.  #Noragrets

Thanks for sharing that....?

I have some family and friends who use facebook as their political voice.  That's their choice.

My beliefs are personal to me and I don't feel a need to use any platforms as my "voice".  I respect the opinions of others, and there are people with extreme opinions.

That said, politics is not in the top 10 list of important things in most of my days.

To each their own.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Thanks for sharing that....?

I have some family and friends who use facebook as their political voice.  That's their choice.

My beliefs are personal to me and I don't feel a need to use any platforms as my "voice".  I respect the opinions of others, and there are people with extreme opinions.

That said, politics is not in the top 10 list of important things in most of my days.

To each their own.

You're definitely correct that it is their choice.  And it's my choice to not have to see them like and share things by Alex Jones proclaiming it as truth.  Or doctored videos to prove their side.  It takes a while to get to that point.  When I can't keep up with choosing to not see things by some of these sites that they share, it's just best to choose to not see them anymore.  

I don't like being reminded that my brother and many cousins are truly very angry and racist.  So I unfriend them so I don't have to observe it.  I tried for a while though....

Otherwise, my list of "friends" is coworkers (current/former) that I still have professional contact with, family (no more distant than 1st cousin so I can keep in the loop with aunts and uncles that I don't see often, and people that I have actually spoken to in the last 3 months.  I used these rules to cut about 150 people from my feed (mostly former classmates that I didn't talk to anyway) and it is a much more pleasant experience.  And not just because of politics....

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I don't like being reminded that my brother and many cousins are truly very angry and racist. 

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I literally had no idea how many of these people existed in my extended family until Trump was elected

Would you guys go so far as to say these family members are bad people? Because I would not say that about my family members. Most of them voted for Trump, and the handful I am connected with on social media often share problematic s#!t that reveals to me some poor perspectives on the world, but they're also people that would do anything for anybody with good hearts and integrity. They're just ignorant. Which is not evil or nefarious, it's just a lack of knowledge and understanding.

Similarly, most of them have very off base ideas of "other" groups (muslims, gays, black people, etc.), but if any of those people walked into the bar or was brought as a guest to a family holiday they'd treat them great and the exact same way they'd treat anyone else. It's a weird life they live.

25 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Would you guys go so far as to say these family members are bad people? Because I would not say that about my family members. Most of them voted for Trump, and the handful I am connected with on social media often share problematic s#!t that reveals to me some poor perspectives on the world, but they're also people that would do anything for anybody with good hearts and integrity. They're just ignorant. Which is not evil or nefarious, it's just a lack of knowledge and understanding.

Similarly, most of them have very off base ideas of "other" groups (muslims, gays, black people, etc.), but if any of those people walked into the bar or was brought as a guest to a family holiday they'd treat them great and the exact same way they'd treat anyone else. It's a weird life they live.

It doesn't really matter what i think of them.  I have chosen to limit as much association with them as I can.  I don't need people in my life or my circle that think, talk, or act the way they do.  

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

It doesn't really matter what i think of them.  I have chosen to limit as much association with them as I can.  I don't need people in my life or my circle that think, talk, or act the way they do.  

So is it that you think they are incapable of ever changing and there is no hope for them?

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Like I said, I'm conflicted here, and for the opposite of what you're saying here, I think there are things important enough to lose friends over, like supporting a racist and misogynist. There isn't really any excuse for ignorance when you can hear it from the horse's mouth at a click of the finger.