Trump's America

zoogs

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Would you guys go so far as to say these family members are bad people? Because I would not say that about my family members. Most of them voted for Trump, and the handful I am connected with on social media often share problematic s#!t that reveals to me some poor perspectives on the world, but they're also people that would do anything for anybody with good hearts and integrity. They're just ignorant. Which is not evil or nefarious, it's just a lack of knowledge and understanding.

Similarly, most of them have very off base ideas of "other" groups (muslims, gays, black people, etc.), but if any of those people walked into the bar or was brought as a guest to a family holiday they'd treat them great and the exact same way they'd treat anyone else. It's a weird life they live.

I still talk to them when I see them.   But I don’t ask them to fill me in on their thoughts about Muslims.  When we were “friends” that crap just popped onto my screen and I had to see it.  Now that my only interaction is in person the conversations are bettetbetter

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Like I said, I'm conflicted here, and for the opposite of what you're saying here, I think there are things important enough to lose friends over, like supporting a racist and misogynist. There isn't really any excuse for ignorance when you can hear it from the horse's mouth at a click of the finger.

I see what you're saying. In your eyes is it possible to love and care for a racist/misogynist while not supporting them? What does support mean? Or are you saying they're the ones supporting a racist, not you.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

I see what you're saying. In your eyes is it possible to love and care for a racist/misogynist while not supporting them? What does support mean? Or are you saying they're the ones supporting a racist, not you.

They are supporting a racist (a.k.a. Trump). For the record, I don't have to deal with this in my immediate family or any of my close friends so it hasn't been some complicated thing for me to decide on. I do have someone close to me who voted for Trump but we don't talk politics and he doesn't post about it on FB either. I'm kinda purposely remaining ignorant about it.

I don’t have enough to say about Bush to start a new topic. (I was too young during his presidency to remember much).

But I learned a few months ago that he was good friends with Dana Carvey and then I read about it again today.

And I just can’t understand how Republicans can see Trump attacking SNL and not realize he has a personality disorder. Late night TV has always made fun of presidents. Only one president has gone bats#!t crazy about it and convinced his supporters he’s being treated unfairly by the shows.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, commando said:

I dream of the day we have an articulate President who believes character and morality is important.  We don't all agree on issues.  But, that doesn't mean we have to be disgusting human beings towards each other.  George Bush had it, Bill Clinton had it, George Bush II had it, Obama had it.....then......comes.......

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t have enough to say about Bush to start a new topic. (I was too young during his presidency to remember much).

But I learned a few months ago that he was good friends with Dana Carvey and then I read about it again today.

And I just can’t understand how Republicans can see Trump attacking SNL and not realize he has a personality disorder. Late night TV has always made fun of presidents. Only one president has gone bats#!t crazy about it and convinced his supporters he’s being treated unfairly by the shows.

Ideally the president has more important things to do than get hung up on late night parody and cable news coverage.

But we're pretty damn far from ideal at this point.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I dream of the day we have an articulate President who believes character and morality is important.  We don't all agree on issues.  But, that doesn't mean we have to be disgusting human beings towards each other.  George Bush had it, Bill Clinton had it, George Bush II had it, Obama had it.....then......comes.......

Well said, except that there's a very good chance that Bill Clinton is an actual rapist :(  Sure was charming and charismatic and articulate though.

13 hours ago, Landlord said:

Well said, except that there's a very good chance that Bill Clinton is an actual rapist :(  Sure was charming and charismatic and articulate though.

I’d rather have a rapist for president (assuming it wasn’t known before he was elected) who doesn’t attack people, including the press, than one who attacks the press and everyone else like Trump. Trump’s probably both though, so yay for us.

It matters what the president says and does in public. That can be a lot more damaging to the country than him being an awful person in private. Again, Trump is both.

Also, I don’t know why anyone ever thought Clinton was charming. I never trusted him from the first time I saw him. At age 10 I thought he came off as extremely fake especially with the weird thumb gesture he did. I felt the same way about John Edwards. Maybe I’m just prejudiced against southerners. Guess I need to meditate on it.

• Fire 1