Repealing the ACA under Trump

If they had to list honest pros and cons of this bill, I truly wonder what the GOP would throw on a blackboard.

The LA Times did it for them.

I couldn't get the link to pull up but got to it otherwise, so here it is if anyone had trouble

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-obamacare-repeal-20170504-story.html

As I read this, it is not anything what I thought reform would be. May I be the first to predict that there will be a Democratic President elected in 2020 and a Democratic Senate @ minimum in 2018.

This bill does not drive down costs but it appears to raise it for many. And these slime balls exempt themselves from it. Pitch forks and knives -- where is that resistance thread - I may have to join it after all.

I predict that this, if passed in the Senate will like several other Trump initiatives be immediately challenged in court. I think the challenge will come from item # 5 in the link. This bill prohibits funding for Plan Parenthood and abortion in general. I see the conflict rising between the California constitutionally protected right to an abortion as being the entry gate in stopping this bill legally. It will get to the John Roberts SC and based on the 1973 Roe v Wade decision - this law will get overturned. I say that as a pro-lifer. But also as a pro-lifer it does not help the hurting, ill, and poor already living. Compassion appears to have been left out of the room during this process.

My vision of reform was to reduce premiums by increasing completion between insurance providers - remove state boundaries on coverage, improve delivery systems, tort reform (within reasons). I have not read the bill - but in casual reading I see none of this. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I'm all ears.

• Fire 1

I want to highlight this point from an article knapplc posted earlier in the thread.

7. Its really a poorly disguised tax cut for the rich.

As we reported earlier, repeal of the Affordable Care Acts tax provisions would provide Americas wealthiest taxpayers with an immediate tax cut totaling $346 billion over 10 years. Every cent of that would go to taxpayers earning more than $200,000 a year ($250,000 for couples). As Nicholas Bagley of the University of Michigan observed a few days after the election, the imperative of handing their wealthy patrons a gift of this magnitude may well outweigh their solicitude for the mostly middle- and low-income constituents whose individual insurance plans would be at risk from repeal.

The figure really shows why this is getting passed:

h3mL3Jk.jpg

• Fire 1

Patient-centered my ass. That's insulting to those of us in healthcare.

They ignored virtually every influential medical or patient advocacy organization in okaying this piece of junk.

But hey, it's OK, because in the very next sentence, Smith goes for the easy points and takes a shot Big Government and the prospect of nothing happening.

What a tool.

You guys might take me back to my roots again - A HHH and George McGovern liberal. This congress may force me to it.

Knapp - sorry for your great loss. You have my sympathies. I hope your wife is doing much better.

Atbone - prayers & thoughts for you and family.

FYI, this still has to get through the Senate. Start calling, writing, and visiting your Senators and let them know how you feel.

And after that, let your Rep from the House know how you feel, no matter which way they voted. They need to know there are consequences, both positive and negative from this vote.

• Fire 1

You guys might take me back to my roots again - A HHH and George McGovern liberal. This congress may force me to it.

Knapp - sorry for your great loss. You have my sympathies. I hope your wife is doing much better.

You can be a dyed in the wool conservative and still be opposed to this ridiculousness. It's going to kill people and it'll cost us more money.

Yeah, I would not lump conservatives into this. I would, however, hold accountable those groups who have made pushing this stuff their life's work. Whoever they are.

Wouldn't those groups consist of ... conservatives?

Or should I say Republicans? Which would be more appropriate?

Forgive me, but when you celebrate stripping healthcare from 24 million people, there may be a lil splash back.

Problem is there are conservatives, myself included, that do not support this and detest it as much as anybody. So, I don't care what you call the a$$holes that voted for this, but blaming all conservatives is not an accurate grouping. Republicans might be another story. Not sure there are any good ones left.

agree - I see it in this state. The party has lost its heart.

You can be a dyed in the wool conservative and still be opposed to this ridiculousness. It's going to kill people and it'll cost us more money.

very true

So, what are the realistic odds that this Trumpcare ever sees the light of day? It's been a major dog fight to pass the House, where gerrymandering has reared it's ugly head and kept and added Rs to the House. That's not an issue in the Senate. While it's a major struggle to pass the House, it's going to be even harder to pass the Senate, isn't it? I mean, I get politics is a dirty dirty game, but really, this has no shot of ever being a legit law, does it?

Here's the deal.

The House doesn't give a crap what's in this bill. They've done repeal and replace hundreds of times when they knew Obama would veto and it didn't matter. This is a reflexive activity for them by now.

But this things polls HORRIBLY. Mostly because it's an awful piece of garbage legislation, as is. It tosses many millions off of insurance, guts Medicaid, could remove essential health benefits protection, reinstate annual/lifetime spending limits, could actually increase the deficit, could actually affect employer-provided plans... all of this in the name of taking money for healthcare from the poor and giving to the wealthy in tax cuts.

It's also unpopular because of the dishonest way it's been pitched, the way it was crafted in back rooms, the lack of CBO scoring to tell us what the effects would be, the amount of time the GOP spent complaining about the ACA instead of getting this plan right...

But I digress. The reason they want this so badly is that only by gutting the ACA taxes on the wealthy can they get magnitude of tax cuts in their actual tax reform package they want. Cutting these taxes will enable larger cuts later.

But as I said, they don't care a lick what's in the bill. They want to simply punt this monster out of their hands and on to the Senate. What they really hope is that the Senate tears it up and rewrites it into something actually passable... something less awful. But then the House would have to agree to that. A much more moderate Senate healthcare bill could anger House Conservatives...

The question is whether people will hold voting for this against them even if the Senate writes a completely new bill...

"I don't think we should pass bills that we haven't read that we don't know what they cost."

"Congress is moving fast to rush through a health care overhaul that lacks a key ingredient: the full participation of you, the American people."

"We shouldn't rush this thing through just to rush it through for some artificial deadline. Lets get this thing done right."

"Congress and the White House have focused their public efforts on platitudes and press conferences, while the substance and the details have remained behind closed doors."

All the above are quotes from Paul Ryan in 2009 about the ACA. What a god damn fraud.

• Fire 5