Repealing the ACA under Trump

I know such a thing doesn't exist, but could I get an objective report of what is so bad about the AHCA?

Like, does anyone know of a website that breaks down: Benefits of ObamaCare, Shortfalls of ObamaCare (some posters on here will tell me there weren't any :P ), Benefits of the AHCA, and Shortfalls of the AHCA?

Before you jump on me, I honestly haven't been paying attention to what's going on, so I'm just looking to understand before I form my opinion. :)

See Post #793

Shortfalls of ObamaCare (some posters on here will tell me there weren't any :P )

Not one person on this site would tell you that. It needs major overhauls, and if you read any of the healthcare threads, you'd know where people stand on this. I know it's a drag reading all of this stuff, but this is going to impact you or someone you love, and you should know about it.

To be honest, I come from a (typically) very healthy family. I had two family members diagnosed with two different cancers in the last two weeks, so I've been busy with a lot of that. Figure it's about time I start figuring out what all of this means.

But start figuring it out after you voted for the guy who made it a priority to repeal Obamacare, and after he's started... that makes sense.
  • Fire 1

I know such a thing doesn't exist, but could I get an objective report of what is so bad about the AHCA?

Like, does anyone know of a website that breaks down: Benefits of ObamaCare, Shortfalls of ObamaCare (some posters on here will tell me there weren't any :P ), Benefits of the AHCA, and Shortfalls of the AHCA?

Before you jump on me, I honestly haven't been paying attention to what's going on, so I'm just looking to understand before I form my opinion. :)

• Fire 2

I guess I WAY underestimated the stupidity and evilness of these buttf#cks. I cannot begin to understand how any one of them can convince themselves that this improves healthcare in this country one iota. The plot of Designated Survivor seems to be our best option at this point. I really hope there is some unbalanced person ready to take the bullet for the rest of us.

• Fire 4

OK...The President and Republicans are holding this big ceremony on the lawn of the Whitehouse.

They do know that this has to go through the Senate....right???

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the President did not know that.

• Fire 3

How the Obamacare repeal vote flew under the radar: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/4/15547440/media-forgot-about-ahca-passed

Finally, there’s something to be said here about the limits to the public’s attention span. A few years ago, for instance, there was a national protest against a law in Arizona that many believed would have allowed businesses to discriminate against LGBTQ people. Eventually, Gov. Jan Brewer bowed to the pressure and vetoed the legislation. Activists celebrated. But just a few months later, a very similar bill came up in Mississippi. It passed.

Public outrage has a refractory period. It’s hard to focus national anger on an issue for too long. People’s minds wander, and sometimes stuff slips through the cracks. Or the House

A far better thing than simplying relying on the existence of other "checks and balance" forces and some national level of safeguard/scrutiny...is to avoid electing villains to office in the first place. They will keep trying to do what they set out to do. At some point, they might well succeed.

Some things we can't afford to not pay attention to.

Yeah, I would not lump conservatives into this. I would, however, hold accountable those groups who have made pushing this stuff their life's work. Whoever they are.

Wouldn't those groups consist of ... conservatives?

Or should I say Republicans? Which would be more appropriate?

Forgive me, but when you celebrate stripping healthcare from 24 million people, there may be a lil splash back.

• Fire 3

Whoever they are ;)

I would give a pass to people who were bystanders. There's fair criticism for not paying attention, sure, but especially for younger people who are just beginning to wake to political issues (for me, this began happening around 2012-13, for example. And I learned more about healthcare and the ACA in the last couple of years than in either of the two previous election cycles). There's a distinction between people who are blind to things or who casually follow along and those who fight tooth and nail for this vision of the world.