Trump's 7 point Drain the Swamp Plan & 100 Day Agenda

Presumably they were going to outsource those jobs to Mexico because it was going to be better for their bottom line, correct?

So why would they shift course to keep them in Indiana unless they were offered some type of compensation? And, if they weren't offered anything, is that not a bad for the company?

This is good, but I'm going to remain skeptical. Trump's already lied about trying to bring back an auto plant in KY that wasn't going anywhere. Even if we start seeing this on a grand scale I'm not sure that shifting towards protectionism is a net positive for the economy.

Presumably they were going to outsource those jobs to Mexico because it was going to be better for their bottom line, correct?

So why would they shift course to keep them in Indiana unless they were offered some type of compensation? And, if they weren't offered anything, is that not a bad for the company?

This is good, but I'm going to remain skeptical. Trump's already lied about trying to bring back an auto plant in KY that wasn't going anywhere. Even if we start seeing this on a grand scale I'm not sure that shifting towards protectionism is a net positive for the economy.

Admittedly, I'm coming into this discussion totally blind on this particular situation.

But, "better for the bottom line" can mean many things. Some are a valid reason to move and some aren't.

Can you explain to me more what their situation is with this product line?

From what I've read the unconfirmed rumors are state tax breaks. Pence was able to make some things happen because he is still the Governor of Indiana.

It's good and bad. I hate that the residents of Indiana foot the bill to keep the jobs from moving to Mexico but not losing 1000 jobs is obviously good.

It's corporate welfare for a parent company that has $57,000,000,000 in revenue.

One of my biggest pet peeves when discussing these issues is when people list off how much revenue a company has and acts like they should just be able to foot the bill for what ever society needs.

Just listing Revenue doesn't tell me squat about their decision of going or staying in Indiana.

There's companies that have billions in revenue and still go broke. There are companies with that much in revenue and still have certain product lines that aren't making money where major changes need to be made.

That's a fair pet peeve. I don't hate tax breaks but I'd rather see them go to small businesses not some multi-national corporation.

I also feel like my comment underplayed the 1000 jobs that were saved. A small tax increase means nothing to those 1000 people that get to keep their job. I'm glad Trump could broker something like this.

• Fire 1

I realize it's easy for me to say when it's not jobs in my community, but why not just let them move to Mexico? We're not talking about tax evading restructuring. Outsourcing can be the right move for a company, the economy is not zero sum, and protectionism is not a winning game. In a vibrant economy, there will be more jobs and more opportunities. There are costs to expending resources to get companies to do what you want. And indeed:

This is the libertarian in me. I realize that in practice a lot of us depend more or less on government subsidies to stay afloat. It's just important that these subsidies be handed out for economic rather than political necessity. I suppose a true libertarian supposes that would never happen and so they shouldn't exist at all.

Indeed, if the underlying problem here is that companies like Carrier want to move manufacturing jobs, throwing money at them to make them stay does not seem a sustainable strategy.

• Fire 1

Trump starting early on his job program??

http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Companies/carrier-jobs-united-states/2016/11/29/id/761261/

United Technologies Corp has reached a deal with President-elect Donald Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence to keep close to 1,000 jobs at its Carrier Corp air conditioner plant in Indianapolis, roughly halving the number of U.S. jobs it planned to move to Mexico.

The deal, announced by Carrier on Twitter late on Tuesday, is a victory for Trump, who campaigned hard on keeping jobs in the United States and specifically criticized Carrier for shipping jobs overseas, messages which appealed to blue-collar workers in the Midwest.

Company officials, Trump and Pence, who is the governor of Indiana, will announce some of the deal's terms on Thursday, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Indiana state officials were involved in the talks, but it was unclear what, if any, inducements the state may have made to encourage Carrier to keep the jobs in the United States.

Carrier's parent, United Technologies, has a strong incentive to keep good relations with Trump and his incoming administration, given that a portion of its estimated $57 billion revenue this year will come through U.S. military contracts at its Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems units

I wonder what incentives Pence promised.

Seems like a lot of money to save just 850 out of 4000 jobs. I smell it to be a total play by Trump. His followers will just chant "he did it" without understanding the cost or the relatively unimpressive outcome.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/804054898866290689

• Fire 2

So referring to people as "deplorable" is super-dooper bad.

But referring to people as part of a "swamp" is OK.

...OK

Hillary called millions of everyday American voters as deplorable. Trump is referring to Washington DC operations (including all the lobbyists and special interests) as part of the swamp. That fact that you can't understand this is amazing.

• Fire 1

The irony of a red-blooded Trump supporter getting offended anyone called someone a name is astounding.

Any who, this Carrier thing illustrates an important point. Trump will try to buffalo the American public on pretty much any given issue. He's a pathological liar. A free, competent press is really going to be important during his administration. He's already showing tendencies of a serious lack of transparency, and what he does release for public consumption is most likely going to be half-truths at best and outright lies at worst.

The press is going to need to dig in and find the truth on this stuff, much like the Carrier story. It's an interesting dichotomy though since he has spent so much time berating the press and convincing anyone who would listen that they were crooked scum.

We'll just have to see how many people buy that.

The irony of a red-blooded Trump supporter getting offended anyone called someone a name is astounding.

Any who, this Carrier thing illustrates an important point. Trump will try to buffalo the American public on pretty much any given issue. He's a pathological liar. A free, competent press is really going to be important during his administration. He's already showing tendencies of a serious lack of transparency, and what he does release for public consumption is most likely going to be half-truths at best and outright lies at worst.

The press is going to need to dig in and find the truth on this stuff, much like the Carrier story. It's an interesting dichotomy though since he has spent so much time berating the press and convincing anyone who would listen that they were crooked scum.

I'm only offended by some of the incompetent statements and comparisons being made on this board. Most Trump supporters now wear the Deplorable label as a badge of honor as it exposed the left for what it really has become...a bicoastal party of elites that looks down upon middle America.

I'm only offended by some of the incompetent statements and comparisons being made on this board. Most Trump supporters now wear the Deplorable label as a badge of honor as it exposed the left for what it really has become...a bicoastal party of elites that looks down upon middle America.

Which isn't anything close to what she meant by the statement.

Which isn't anything close to what she meant by the statement.

It's easier to play the victim and feel offended than it is to self-examine and possibly find out you were wrong.

In exchange for allowing United Technologies to continue to offshore more than 1,000 jobs, Trump will reportedly give the company tax and regulatory favors that the corporation has sought. Just a short few months ago, Trump was pledging to force United Technologies to “pay a damn tax.” He was insisting on very steep tariffs for companies like Carrier that left the United States and wanted to sell their foreign-made products back in the United States. Instead of a damn tax, the company will be rewarded with a damn tax cut. Wow! How’s that for standing up to corporate greed? How’s that for punishing corporations that shut down in the United States and move abroad?

• Fire 1

Did anyone mention that Carrier was slated to save $65M/yr by making this move to Mexico? $65M - $700k = $64.3M/yr

While Carrier will forfeit some $65 million a year in savings the move was supposed to generate, that’s a small price to pay to avoid the public relations damage from moving the jobs as well as a possible threat to United Technologies’ far-larger military contracting business."