What did we learn? Maryland edition

NUance

It is disturbing how bad we were dominated by OSU. They snuck by sparty, and the only other teams they spanked were Maryland and Rutgers.

They beat the crap out of Oklahoma on the road in non-conference play.

While the Ohio State game was a nightmare, I'm not going to get caught up in how other teams played them. Ohio State was very motivated to win big against NU on national TV, and to their credit they did that.

Thanks for the info on RPOs guys. Guess I misunderstood what they actually are.

They are basically a QB read where he can do a pass or run play. Most of the "Read" is done pre-snap, and the run play can either be a RB or a QB run play.

RPO's have been popularized by Baylor, Ole Miss, and other teams recently where they may have the exact same play call a number of times in a row but the action is different based on what the defense shows.

Here's a good description of the RPO. It's while Tom Herman was still at OSU...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/05/35850/runpass-combinations-tom-herman-edition

More on Herman RPO

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/16/9329945/tom-herman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

Not hijacking the thread, but its interesting to read about the smash mouth spread concept Herman is after......good stuff.

• Fire 1

I'm still pretty PO'd we got jobbed at Wiscy. We deserved another set of downs and in my diehard optimist kind of way I have to think we would've won that game.

May not have mattered. Though Michigan looks... not as good with their backup QB and an OSU rematch would be nice. Would've loved a revenge game.

Ultimately, if both Wiscy and us win next week, it may wind up making our season look better in hindsight not having to go up against UM or OSU and absorb a third loss. Still blows if we get shut out of a shot at the league crown that way, though.

I agree on the probable loss to Ohio State, Michigan not so much.

As to Wisconsin, we lost the game, getting shut out how? Win the game, no problem. Lose the game the winner gets the spoils or did I miss something.

Wisconsin loses to Minny, we beat Iowa, are they getting shut out like wise?

From the OWH, McKewon takes the pulse on the Huskers' evolving offense: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-future-is-coming-into-focus-for-huskers-as-ryker/article_244f0c5f-988d-59a0-8644-ebd931dfeece.html

I really liked what the passing game looked like against Maryland. A lot of those quick screens. Had a different look about it. It wasn't particularly daring or full playbook, of course, but it was creative and kept attacking the defense in different ways. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that in the future!

And yes, count me a fan of Dan Hawkins' commentary. It's always nice to hear it from a coach.

I'm still pretty PO'd we got jobbed at Wiscy. We deserved another set of downs and in my diehard optimist kind of way I have to think we would've won that game.

May not have mattered. Though Michigan looks... not as good with their backup QB and an OSU rematch would be nice. Would've loved a revenge game.

Ultimately, if both Wiscy and us win next week, it may wind up making our season look better in hindsight not having to go up against UM or OSU and absorb a third loss. Still blows if we get shut out of a shot at the league crown that way, though.

tOSU can't go to the CCG unless PSU loses to MSU. So it is likely either UM or PSU that are going to the CCG which is fine to me if we have TA. If I were a betting man I think PSU goes to the CCG from the West which is very winnable and why I will be a temporary Gopher fan if we can beat Iowa on Friday.

I think Fyfe's passing skills are A+. Plus the 10 yards of back peddling makes up for no pass blocking on the o line.

Question: is it duck season in Nebraska?

In certain zones, yes.

Must not be in Lincoln, or else quite a few of Fyfe's passes would've gotten shot down. The hunting dog convention on the field would have been entertaining, though.