Iowa's Faith Ekakitie says he was target of racial slurs from Nebraska player

Kernal

Let's say this story checks out as described and one of our players (hopefully just one) called an opponent the N-word.

What do you think UNL's response should be?

What do you think UNL's response will be?

Not sure what it will be but make the kid apologize personally, take a class on African American history and have a talk with him to make sure he learned from the experience. Everybody makes mistakes but the key is learning from them.

This just in... people say ridiculous things on a football field. And some people do so with inappropriate and harsh words. They also get to legally maul one another. Not condoning the former... just saying it isn't the first time it has happened. I personally blame rap music.

Have you ever described rap as "hip-hop hogwash" in a letter? Be honest.

Ha ha! I hadn't heard about that. LINK

In related news:

a3898002879_16.jpg

• Fire 1

This just in... people say ridiculous things on a football field. And some people do so with inappropriate and harsh words. They also get to legally maul one another. Not condoning the former... just saying it isn't the first time it has happened. I personally blame rap music.

Ha! Rap music cause someone to drop some racial slurs good one. I love rap music old and new and I've never used a racial slur in my life

Which is why I thought my sarcasm was so funny there.

Ha! Rap music cause someone to drop some racial slurs good one. I love rap music old and new and I've never used a racial slur in my life

text can read pretty literal sometimes, my bad

text can read pretty literal sometimes, my bad

Its all good. I should have used something like this > :sarcasm That is my bad.

By not naming names he does a few things:

1) He labels our entire team with Nebraska = Racists. This is the takeaway casual readers of this story will glean from it. We do not deserve a moniker like this.

2) He doesn't allow the player to explain his side of the story. Maybe he was misheard, maybe he was responding to something Ekakitie said that was equally as bad. Or, if the player would be brave enough to admit it and accept his punishment, he doesn't allow them to apologize as publicly as Ekakitie made the accusation.

3) He prevents the school and administration from knowing exactly how to handle the situation. There would be immediate and swift retribution, obviously, if they knew who exactly said what he's alleging. By being vague with his accusation he's made their job harder.

4) He slurs an opponent after kicking their ass on the field. Even if this actually happened as he describes, an honorable man wouldn't take it to the press before taking it to his coaches or the administration.

Clearly trouncing Nebraska on the field wasn't enough to ameliorate the issue for him, clearly he was still very upset about it after the game, upset enough to handle it this way. Maybe that lends credence to his story. Hard to say.

What I do know is, given the opportunity, Nebraska will make this right. Ekakitie can show himself the bigger man by doing everything in his power to make that happen. This wasn't a good first step.

Knapp, +1: please allow me to finish your point above!

200.gif#7

I agree with Knapp 100%. I also agree with the person who said either say everything in private, or say everything in public. That's like a kid crying at a school assembly about how someone in his class bullied him but doesn't say who. Clearly doesn't want to say his name publicly, fine. But don't make a fuss about it publicly if you don't want to share that information. Keep it private if you're not willing to tell the entire world his name. Also not 100% convinced that he was racially assaulted. This whole thing kind of seems sketchy to me, like the one South Park breast cancer episode (that episode pissed me off by the way) where Cartman made Wendy seem like the bad person when he had in fact been making fun of breast cancer, and she was just retaliating back at him. I almost have to think that they had been exchanging trash talk at each other, and the Iowa guy is pulling the race card to gain sympathy. I am not saying that's what it is, but it would not surprise me. If there really were racist remarks at Faith and Faith only, then whoever did it should know better and shouldn't be associated with our program. How Faith is handling this whole ordeal, assuming it's true, is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...