So is O'Brien a bust

I get this is a message board but are we really being serious here? Do some truly believe what's being said on this topic? POB a true freshman not starting over a 5th year player and 4 year starter? TA is no slouch which some people have completely lost sight of. Questioning the future of an 18 yr old because he didn't win the starting job from a 23 year old is why this thread SHOULD BE DELETED. This is of course just my opinion but there's nothing that will change it. It's of my opinion that a 22-23 year old will almost ALWAYS respond better to playing in front of 90k of the most "knowledgeable fans in the country" or better yet in front of 90-100k fans on Halloween weekend in madison or the following week at the horseshoe. Doesn't matter the score TA gives us the best chance to win those

I have read very few comments stating that POB should be starting over Tommy. I have certainly never said that at all or even suggested the idea. However, I think many are like me. The feel it is malpractice to NOT have plenty of back up QBs ready to play on a moment's notice. Injuries happen in football (dozens each game in fact) at every position. Without researching it (it is not worth the effort) I dare say that there have been relatively few seasons when Nebraska has not had to play the second or even third string QB because the starter couldn't go. It happens regularly enough that any reasonable coach should prudently plan for it and plan to have a back up for the back up. The QB position is absolutely essential to a team's success. You may be able to fudge something here or there in many other places but you need a QB who can run the offense AT ALL TIMES. Not debatable.

Most are saying that POB or some other guy (not on the team but who should be on the team if the coaches were planning wisely) should have been pushing for playing time and been ahead of a 5th year senior who never won the job after all that time. Fyfe has demonstrated, in my view, that he is a solid 4th string / scout team level player. He should be in that role.

From what I've been told from parents that have kids on the team that I know. Tanner Lee will be our starter next year and it will be at least two years before POB is our starter if he can win the job.

I really hope this is not the thinking and I suspect it is not as Riley is not this stupid. Thinking like this almost cost the USC coach his job. Yes, I am glad we brought in Lee but let him compete as we have two of our best QB recruits in awhile coming here. Frankly I expect POB and Gebbia to compete...they are not going against a long time starter in TA...its a blank page and none of these QB's have ever taken a snap at NU. This QB job needs to be wide open.

I don't think they're saying the job isn't wide open. I think they're saying Lee was clearly better than POB.

This is exactly what I was saying. POB is lightyears behind Lee according to the players. They have all said POB is very talented but isn't as accurate as Lee and can't read coverage. Still has a long way to go.

I've also heard the rumors that POB isn't as good as advertised. All I know is that if Lee is our starter next year we're in trouble.

POB came in with a crappy attitude because he didn't want to redshirt and thought he was better than Armstrong. Then he wasn't picking up the offense as well as Riley and Langsdorf thought he would be able to.

Boy if what you say is true about Lee and POB, I would be concerned!

That's the problem, what is being said or what folks are "hearing" may not necessarily be the truth. How about we wait and see instead of playing this game and give these "kids" a chance to show us what they've got?

Many of the rumors going around about POB are true. Yes, he may end up being a good QB down the road, but he's not there yet.

Lee will be great for us. He will start next year and play well. I trust work ethic and this guy seems to have that in spades. If he put as much time and effort in as they are saying he has, I think he will know this offense inside and out. He has a big arm and I think Nebraska is where his career takes off

The entire premiss of this thread is ridiculous.

And, we did have a backup that I think would have done better than an Armstrong that can't run. .....but, he is injured too.

Next year we will have plenty of depth at QB.

Please add a little explanation of 'depth' as I define depth as 'proven' talent that is ready, able and willing to play in the next game! POB was NOT 'depth' this year as he was off limits apparently as far as playing on this year's team. I am not going to redshirt Gebbia next year in my view of depth as I think we need 4 QBs ready to play any given game. You can lose two or three in a week's time now and then and certainly during the course of hundreds of practices/games annually.

the number of teams that have "proven talent that is ready to play" in the next game could probably be counted on half of one hand.

Next year we will have three QBs that all have the technique to make key throws.

Lee - Div 1 experience with a year in program to learn system.

POB - can make the throws but needs to learn more of the system and reading coverages.

Gebbia - very talented incoming true freshman. Who knows....maybe he beats them all out.

All three are the same type of QB recruited for this system and they either have div 1 experience or were highly recruited.

All of these will have spring and fall camp to learn without Armstrong and Fyfe taking the main snaps.

The entire premiss of this thread is ridiculous.

And, we did have a backup that I think would have done better than an Armstrong that can't run. .....but, he is injured too.

Next year we will have plenty of depth at QB.

Please add a little explanation of 'depth' as I define depth as 'proven' talent that is ready, able and willing to play in the next game! POB was NOT 'depth' this year as he was off limits apparently as far as playing on this year's team. I am not going to redshirt Gebbia next year in my view of depth as I think we need 4 QBs ready to play any given game. You can lose two or three in a week's time now and then and certainly during the course of hundreds of practices/games annually.

I'm with you as far as having capable backups and if you look at it like that then yes it could be somewhat concerning that we didn't here more about POB pushing guys ahead of him, however for me very little concern. Nebraska is a place you're expected to win every year no matter what but there does come times where you have to look out for the future of the program and I think we saw that this year. I didn't read your thoughts carefully but I do agree at QB you need plenty of guys because it's rare your number one stays healthy all year. I think going forward this won't be a problem though. A big part of coaches jobs is not just developing. But also organizing the classes to maintain depth for the future and they're doing exactly that it seems like. With the plan they're on now our qb position is set up to put experienced guys back there because they'll all have atleast 2-3 years of college football experience and the only way we won't is if a freshman or redshirt freshman beats them out and if that happens that probably means he's a stallion and not winning the job by default like Martinez and Tommy did

I watched PSU yesterday. McSorley was on fire. For the season 21 TD's to 5 INT's and almost 3000 yards.... Rushed for almost 400 (2.8 yrd average) although those are skewed with his 21 sacks........ He did not appear to be dual threat, but showed to be more than a capable runner when needed. If Langs stays, and his vision of our O is pass first, we will need a QB who can perform like McSorley...... Or Jake Browning..........Of course their OL and DL truly help.

Next year, will be the first year I can remember when we will have an actual QB competition.....(At least past 8 years?) I could care less who wins out. I just hope that one thing we have all learned and hope the staff has seen is development and experience is a key in the B1G. It is a black and blue league where no one gets out unscathed..... It is a very real possibility we will need all 3 next year.....

Again, regardless of QB, the team needs an OL and DL.