Way too early look at 2017 O line

I guess my view on the list of who contributed this year is that there was very little to no upper class leadership. We basically had a line made up of redshirt freshmen and sophomores.

That's great playing some of those guys but an entire line made up of them is going to struggle at times.

And, this is a position where size and body maturity is a big plus.

These under class men were probably going against juniors and seniors in most games.

Everyone rants about "where is our pipeline"?

Well that pipeline was made up of upper class men that had been in the program several years before starting.

Rardion will start at C next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson overtake Farmer at RG. Farniok will be starting RT before conference play. Brokop will back up both G spots. The coaches done everything they could to redshirt the freshman class, hence why you seen Hahn and Conrad playing.

Do you guys think Farmer is guaranteed to start next year? A lot of people said that the right side of the offensive line played poorly. Does that have more to do with him playing next to Utter and knevel/Conrad or was his play poor as well?

I'm sure not guaranteed but I think he will. Most of the right side troubles were at the tackle spot. And Farmer battled an ankle injury for several weeks in the middle of the season.

What's up with Barnett? Nobody talks about that guy but he's our highest rated recruit on the O-Line. Is there some sort of academic issue there?

I think he was highly-rated early but never really developed as people thought he might. Not sure if that's picking up the mental part of the game or what. But considering he couldn't see the field with all the injuries we had this year, I'm not holding my breath on this one panning out.

Unlike most I have a positive outlook on the O-line next year. Star rating aside I think Cav is recruiting a different breed of linemen then the previous staff. Obviously in a spread, zone read heavy offense there isn't much "road grading" going on. O-lineman don't have to be as "tough". That's the problem with some of the current guys. They aren't as use to downhill blocking. I've heard from a previous player on offense that the o-line under Bo was very soft across the board. That's pretty bad when it's someone on the team who played offense and not just someone speculating like a reporter or average fan. I would say Knevel fits in the soft category. He looks soft and plays soft. The nasty you want from O-linemen is very hard to coach. It's either in them or not so you better hope you recruited the right guy

What's up with Barnett? Nobody talks about that guy but he's our highest rated recruit on the O-Line. Is there some sort of academic issue there?

I think he was highly-rated early but never really developed as people thought he might. Not sure if that's picking up the mental part of the game or what. But considering he couldn't see the field with all the injuries we had this year, I'm not holding my breath on this one panning out.

Did I miss something with Barnett or Decker? People are counting them out...

Decker redshirted 2015-2016 season right..?

Barnett severely rolled his ankle at the very end of campus/first game week and was out ~ a month. At that point, they made the decision they liked the OLine and getting him back in shape conditioning wise to play conference OL would be a few weeks anyways, so they redshirted.

Unless I'm misremembering?

Barnett severely rolled his ankle at the very end of campus/first game week and was out ~ a month. At that point, they made the decision they liked the OLine and getting him back in shape conditioning wise to play conference OL would be a few weeks anyways, so they redshirted.

Wasn't it Barnett that was eating his way out of a scholarship/playing time? I thought I've heard that a few times that he is way too heavy and out of shape. Or was that someone else?

Decker redshirted in 2015, and there are rumors going around that he may quit football. He's suffered some head injuries and is worried about his long-term health after suffering those injuries.

I know it's way early. But, this topic is being brought up in multiple threads. Some people tend to think we are thin with very little talent there. I beg to differ. We have a lot of very young talent that next year is going to be a year older, bigger and experienced.

This is this year's players (in red) on the depth chart plus the ones that redshirted.

Left Tackle

Nich Gates SO :star:star:star:star .8929

Christian Gaylord RFR :star:star:star .8882

Left Guard

Jerald Foster SO :star:star:star .8708

Jalen barnett RFR :star:star:star:star .9207

Center

Michael Decker RFR :star:star:star .8544

John Raridon :star:star:star:star .9021

Right Guard

Tanner Farmer SO :star:star:star:star .9021

Bo Wilson FR :star:star:star .8559

Right Tackle

Cole Conrad SO Walkon

David Knevel JR :star:star:star .8765

Matt Farniok FR :star:star:star:star .9049

Bryan Brokop FR :star:star:star .8847

Average rating of :star:star:star:star .8904 and only one of these players is a senior.

Most/all of the raw talent on this line is very young. The only guy leaving that started on the line this year is Utter. This unit has not had much upper class man leadership all year.

I really like the players we have at LT, LG, RG. The battle at RT and C is going to be interesting. Hopefully the year of experience has allowed the young kids that redshirted to mature and get stronger and better.

I personally think there is reason to be very optimistic about this unit going forward. We need to land some good line players in this next class to keep building depth.

Most of those players in red didn't impress, maybe it is the coaching hmmmmm... another yr older does not directly relate to better

I hope gates and foster impressed you. The guys at center and RG are young and will be better then what we saw on the field this year. The guys in red at RT will probably be passed by the younger guys at there spot. Another year older doesn't directly relate to better, however it doesn't relate to getting worst and more times then not players improve each year (more so in the OL and DL - where strength is a big factor)