Swap coaches

Vols1891

This may be a stupid question, as I don't know Nebraska's history as well as you guys, but do you know if you all ever considered Craig Bohl after Bo was fired? I know he played at Nebraska and was your DC in the past, but he seems like one of those guys who may be a better head coach than coordinator. Or is there some bad blood there or something?

I'd keep MR in a heartbeat over Butch. While there are some real challenges still to be worked out here, MR is a great representative of the school and whoever takes over after him, will find the program in better shape than what he, BO, BC inherited. Regarding Craig Bohl, he took the fall for Frank's bad years as Frank's DC. I, however, would welcome him back if the opportunity came. He has proven himself as a HC at NDSU (a rival of my SDSU where I graduated from many years ago - so I watched him closely and was very impressed by what he accomplished. The conference that both schools were in while in division 2 was always considered a very strong football & wrestling conference). He is doing well at Wy. If the NU job came open in a few years - Scott Frost and Craig Bohl may be on a collision course for the same job and I think either one could get us up to the next level. (If ever there was a time for Dual HC - that would be it. Kind of like how G Ford wanted to be Reagan's equal if named as Reagan's VP back in 1980).

I'd take Butch over Riley simply because he has more upside. Riley is in the twilight of his career and you know you have a consistently mediocre coach and nothing else. Butch at least has a future to learn more. But if I were hiring, it wouldn't be either one.

Bohl didn't have success as a DC but has been a good HC and gotten Wyoming on the right track this year. I'd consider him for HC.

JMHO

Butch Jones is a complete buffoon outside of recruiting. Tennessee can keep him. My buddy and I had this conversation earlier this year when Butch was signing another huge class. I told him, "Let me put it like this, if you hired Butch Jones to run a bar, he'd hire the most incredible staff of chicks you'd ever seen. They'd all be complete stunners. The problem is, come opening night when you realize that Butch hired them all to be hostesses and none of them want to be bartenders or servers." The guy is a monster recruiter but can't coach a lick.

I'd keep MR in a heartbeat over Butch. While there are some real challenges still to be worked out here, MR is a great representative of the school and whoever takes over after him, will find the program in better shape than what he, BO, BC inherited. Regarding Craig Bohl, he took the fall for Frank's bad years as Frank's DC. I, however, would welcome him back if the opportunity came. He has proven himself as a HC at NDSU (a rival of my SDSU where I graduated from many years ago - so I watched him closely and was very impressed by what he accomplished. The conference that both schools were in while in division 2 was always considered a very strong football & wrestling conference). He is doing well at Wy. If the NU job came open in a few years - Scott Frost and Craig Bohl may be on a collision course for the same job and I think either one could get us up to the next level. (If ever there was a time for Dual HC - that would be it. Kind of like how G Ford wanted to be Reagan's equal if named as Reagan's VP back in 1980).

I'd take Butch over Riley simply because he has more upside. Riley is in the twilight of his career and you know you have a consistently mediocre coach and nothing else. Butch at least has a future to learn more. But if I were hiring, it wouldn't be either one.

Bohl didn't have success as a DC but has been a good HC and gotten Wyoming on the right track this year. I'd consider him for HC.

JMHO

I don't see us going for Bohl after Riley. Bohl is already 58 so by time Riley leaves he would be over 60. I just don't see us going for another 60+ year old coach. I would think go younger.

I see no reason to hire someone else UNLESS we are going to go all the way and hire the very best 'elitle' coach. I define to be one of the 5 winningest current active coaches in a P5 program for no less than 7 years and 20 years of HC experience and a 'household name' recruiter. In addition, he needs a positive personality with national respect and capable of being 'a Husker at heart' and finally the hiring committee truly feels after interview, research, etc. that he is likely to stay in Lincoln until retirement age and views Nebraska as a destination job and not a rest stop on the way to the alma mater or the NFL or whatever.

Not many of those out there I'd say.

Someone with Husker bloodlines is a consideration but ONLY if he has atleast 10 years of HC experience and is a proven recruiting 'closer' (he needs to have a household name status to me).

I see no reason to hire someone else UNLESS we are going to go all the way and hire the very best 'elitle' coach. I define to be one of the 5 winningest current active coaches in a P5 program for no less than 7 years and 20 years of HC experience and a 'household name' recruiter. In addition, he needs a positive personality with national respect and capable of being 'a Husker at heart' and finally the hiring committee truly feels after interview, research, etc. that he is likely to stay in Lincoln until retirement age and views Nebraska as a destination job and not a rest stop on the way to the alma mater or the NFL or whatever.

Not many of those out there I'd say.

Someone with Husker bloodlines is a consideration but ONLY if he has atleast 10 years of HC experience and is a proven recruiting 'closer' (he needs to have a household name status to me).

so you are saying no one meets the criteria to be the next husker coach if/when Riley is fired/retires?

Tennessee is 8-4 this year and they were 9-4 last year. They lost by 5 points to Bama last year and destroyed the one common opponent we both had Northwestern in their bowl game 45-6. (We beat NW 24-13 last year...) I'd take Jones in a heart beat if I had to choose between the two but that's not saying much given who we have.

I was just curious...a lot of us college football fans always see the grass as greener on the other side and want the coach gone whenever a season doesn't go the way we want it. So my question is, would you be willing to switch coaches with Tennessee (we take Riley and you take Butch Jones). From my perspective as a Tennessee fan, I would say yes I would rather have Riley and his staff over Butch and his staff. Riley in my opinion would recruit just as well if not better than Jones if he was in the South, and I think while he isn't necessarily elite, he's much better than Butch at developing players and game planning. Most of us Tennessee fans are starting to look at Butch as somewhat of an embarrassment, so I guess I'm just wondering if he's viewed as negatively outside of Tennessee and the SEC.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Butch Jones to say yes or no.

I can say hell no. I'm a Knoxvillian that is a Husker through family (father earned his PhD from UNL). While Jones has proven that he can recruit to a historically good school in a conference that is in it's heyday where geographically, the recruits are the most plentiful, I wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole. His in-game management is poor, and player development is equally just as bad. What BJ has shown is that he can win with Brian Kelly recruited players (and I'm assuming he kept the majority of the previous staff, but I could be wrong). That, and he looks like a tiny Brock Lesnar clone with that buzz cut.

That being said, UT is the program that I like the least