OWH: Huskers Reliant on Bombs, Not Basics

Mavric

Missing were quarterback Tommy Armstrong and receiver Jordan Westerkamp, two all-time NU record-holders.

But present and accounted for were offensive linemen Nick Gates, Jerald Foster, Dylan Utter, Tanner Farmer and Cole Conrad.

And Nebraska rushed 28 times for 61 yards against Tennessee’s defense.

Yes, Vols defensive end Derek Barnett does a nice Reggie White imitation. But Tennessee’s defense gave up 420 yards rushing to Missouri in November.

A month ago, the Vols gave up 192 yards on the ground to Vanderbilt.

And the Huskers go for 2.2 yards per rush against these guys?

OWH

Oh .... and then there's this:

It’s too late to blame the previous coaching staff. That doesn’t work anymore. Banker and his staff have had enough time to mold these players.

Riley’s longtime coordinator talked about the need to add a couple of new “pieces” in the offseason. There’s potential up front and in the back.

But flying to the ball, making the basic tackles, is where good defense starts. It’s back to the drawing board for Banker, who is already drawing the ire of fans.

That’s tackling. What about blocking?

The Huskers have to replace Utter at center, but the line has potential to be better next season. Now, what will the Huskers do about it?

It’s a good question because this was a day to lean on the big boys up front, many of them playing with fresh legs. Take the pressure off Fyfe, keep Barnett from dominating and getting in the offense’s head and cut back on Dobbs’ possessions.

You do that by running it, establishing it early and keeping it going. It should be an automatic-pilot thing. I mean, this is a Big Ten team, right?

• Fire 1

I have said before: I like Mike Riley and I definitely want him to win/succeed. But, after seeing our running game dwindle through the course of the season, I am losing faith in him.

Teams that struggle against the run look like Alabama when they play Nebraska. That's NOT talent.

That's coaching philosophy and focus.

Mike Riley is a passer. He comes from the Pac 10/12 where the running game is an after thought.

That is 100% fine and dandy for the Pac 12. But in the Big 10...not having a dominant running game gets you 5th place or lower in the conference standings.

Mike Riley seems incapable of learning that.

• Fire 2

I have said before: I like Mike Riley and I definitely want him to win/succeed. But, after seeing our running game dwindle through the course of the season, I am losing faith in him.

Teams that struggle against the run look like Alabama when they play Nebraska. That's NOT talent.

Mike Riley is a passer. He comes from the Pac 10/12 where the running game is an after thought.

That is 100% fine and dandy for the Pac 12. But in the Big 10...not having a dominant running game gets you 5th place or lower in the conference standings.

Riley had lots of 1,000 yard rushers at OSU. Jacquizz Rodgers 4 times. Yvenson Bernard 4 times. Ken Simonton once. "Mike Riley is a passer" and "Mike Riley seems incapable to leaning that" is total BS based on HIS HISTORY. His HISTORY has shown that when he has the horses, he uses them.

As for UNL's running backs, neither Newby nor Ozigbo would have started at OSU when Rodgers, Bernard or Simonton were there. In fact, neither of those guys would have started at OSU this season.

I'm sure some Stanford and Oregon fans would laugh at your assessment that rushing is an after thought in that league, not to again mention that Riley had 9 seasons where he had a 1,000 yard rusher.

• Fire 3

Riley had lots of 1,000 yard rushers at OSU. Jacquizz Rodgers 4 times. Yvenson Bernard 4 times. Ken Simonton once. "Mike Riley is a passer" and "Mike Riley seems incapable to leaning that" is total BS based on HIS HISTORY. His HISTORY has shown that when he has the horses, he uses them.

As for UNL's running backs, neither Newby nor Ozigbo would have started at OSU when Rodgers, Bernard or Simonton were there. In fact, neither of those guys would have started at OSU this season.

I'm sure some Stanford and Oregon fans would laugh at your assessment that rushing is an after thought in that league, not to again mention that Riley had 9 seasons where he had a 1,000 yard rusher.

so its been a while since he has had a 1,000 rusher, maybe Mannion made him fall in love with the passing game to much.

you are starting to see the light my young padawan.

idk, sure looks like he wants to build a West Cost offense here...it was discussed on tv yesterday as well...maybe because that's all he's got to work with?

We need nasty lines on both sides of the ball and then need to build our team from there. We keep getting pushed around in those areas and to me that's your foundation as a team. We seem to get some decent skills players, but the lines just never work out for whatever reason. I don't get it..........

this^^

the game begins and ends with great line play period...

you fix this, we are a legit consistent top 10 program. If it were up to me...id pay out the a$$ for the best o and d line coaches and start from there....but its not up to me....

• Fire 3

One thing I am in no way concerned about next year is replacing Dylan Utter. John Raridon will likely be starting there, or at guard (he will be starting somewhere), and the play will be much improved.

Utter was big on heart, not so much on talent. Not a knock on the guy, because he did what he could with the amount of talent he had. But the center position was a big reason our interior struggled at times this year.

Very, very encouraged about the youth movement we are likely to have next year. Would not be shocked to see 3 freshman starting on our o-line next season. Will be rough at times with the kids learning, but we've got some extremely talented young OL on this team.

• Fire 1

Yeah...the PAC-12 coaches are not laughing...they are crying that he is no longer in the conference.

• Fire 2

OWH post was spot on. Riley is what he is and was..... Nothing more. Nothing less. Yesterdays game was a clinic on piss poor execution. Bad angles, blown coverage, arm tackles, missed tackles, little effort, no gang tackling etc..... It was truly as if another team showed up on D..

Offensively, Langs, as shown all year. Had no answers for an equally matched D. A D that had numerous injuries against our "healthiest OL all season". I feel bad for Gates. mentioned wanted to see where he was at against an AA and NFL lock player..... I am sure he realizes that his road is much longer than anticipated. But where were the heavy sets? Chip blocks? FB to help? Thats coaching. Cav and Langs let Gates get Beau Davised out there. He might never mental recover from the abuse he took for 60 minutes. Again, no counters, traps, delays, misdirection and dare I say trick plays to keep their D honest. Langs did nothing scheme or play calling wise to make them suffer for their aggressive play.

This is year 2. 2 years in the system. 2 years with the staff known to "do more with less"..... The losses last year? Blown hail mary coverage, clock mismanagement? That's coaches not talent. Having a month off and not having kids focused? Or Gerry with like a 0.0 GPA..........

Its going to be a long off season for the fans, staff and sadly for the team.......

• Fire 2