How has Penn State completely passed NU?

The answer is we lost more games than we wanted to, and the sky is falling.

Relax. Can't have every season hinge on how a few things go. We're not in such bad shape and they might do a great job next year. If they don't, the later in the Riley tenure it gets the harder it will be to maintain the job. But year 3 is still early anyway.

• Fire 1

Arguably they didn't pass us up as they were already ahead of us and the NCAA issues didn't really hurt that much. They lost a recruiting class basically but I think are back up to where they were before and maybe the penalty actually helped them unload some dead wood in a way - a one time clean out of some stale inventory in effect. Just a possibility?

not to change the thread...but why is Oklahoma so competitive?

oh yeah, they had a rough run in the 90s and decided pretty quickly that didn't feel good and so they went and FIXED it! and it didnt take 2 freakin decades...

How many years did it take Alabama to turn things around? How many coaches did they go through?

Penn St. would tear Nebraska a new one if they played. (They will play next season at Happy Valley) How is this even a question?

I see a lot of ridiculousness from sports fans when talking about their team, but posts like these are one of the silliest. Do you not realize that we are talking about sports?

When does Ronnie Green make his stamp on the University and show Eichorst the door? To me, Perlman has been the issue since day one of 2000 and the last 16 years proved that he was unable to make the right hires. As the stadium is being "enhanced" via another capacity reduction in 2017 it is clear fan interest is waning and the sellout streak is being clung to as the final legacy of the glory years. Too many teams in our conference are overcoming adversity which is brutally worse than what Nebraska has dealt with and are proving that waiting for change only prolongs misery. Sacrificing a position coach here and there only proves the wrong people are being hired in the first place; and it all starts at the top.

• Fire 2

Did they "pass" us??? Who knows? What they have is a built in recruiting territory full of guys who grew up wanting to play for them, similar to Ohio State and Michigan, provided they have a decent coaching staff that doesn't embarrass them.

We have guys who want to be Huskers still and recruiting areas like Missouri and Colorado should be easier because they're not direct competition with the home team....provided they don't think our staff will waste their time.

Not buying Penn State is way ahead of us. They had a good year, no doubt. They suffered a blowout loss against Michigan. They had a string of huge plays in the 3rd quarter today. How can you score 4 TD's in 4 offensive plays and still lose? Their YoloBomb QB is similar to what we have. Their RB is a top NFL prospect so they have the edge there. I give them the edge in OL. WR corps pretty even. Their defense did not look good.

PSU was NOT coming off a near death penalty. It may have been considered that if the sanctions had been kept in place but they were all reduced and then they were all removed ahead of time. PSU was given a fraction of the sanctions they were originally supposed to.

Makes OSU's tattoo punishment look even more stupid.

These two posts were spot on.

How much were the 40 scholarships over 4 years reduced by? How does that number compare to what USC got? I remember reading how USC managed the numbers pretty creatively to minimize their impact.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't they give kids Track and Field scholarships under the guise of "Oh, he just happens to play football too"?

How much were the 40 scholarships over 4 years reduced by? How does that number compare to what USC got? I remember reading how USC managed the numbers pretty creatively to minimize their impact.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't they give kids Track and Field scholarships under the guise of "Oh, he just happens to play football too"?

That would be illegal under NCAA rules. Once the dual-sport athlete steps on the field in football, that track scholarship becomes a football scholarship.