Tournament Talk

I'd start with getting out of playing the first day of the conference tourney before any thoughts of a run.

That is bottom 4 teams, right?

Yes it is. After that I believe every team outside the top 4 teams in conference play each other. So if we do not play the first day we would have to win four games to win the conference tournament.

If they can get out of the bottom 4, I could see this team making a run to the semi's.... then again I could see them staying in the bottom 4 and losing by 20 in the opening game... As PaulCrewe eluded too, "inconsistent".

Jerry Palm had some stat that like 95% (don't quote me on that exact %) of at large teams ever selected have been at least 4 games over 500.

Given losses to Garner-Webb (With Morrow), Rutgers, Iowa (RPI over 100), we absolutely would need to win the Conf. Tournament to be in NCAA.

We do/would hold the tie-breaker over Indiana, Penn State, Illinois (if we win) Ohio State (if we win and Purdue stays in 2nd place) to help avoid the bottom 4 play-in round.

• Fire 1

Jerry Palm had some stat that like 95% (don't quote me on that exact %) of at large teams ever selected have been at least 4 games over 500.

Given losses to Garner-Webb (With Morrow), Rutgers, Iowa (RPI over 100), we absolutely would need to win the Conf. Tournament to be in NCAA.

We do/would hold the tie-breaker over Indiana, Penn State, Illinois (if we win) Ohio State (if we win and Purdue stays in 2nd place) to help avoid the bottom 4 play-in round.

Nice info!

Getting into the NCAA tourny is a long long shot and we would be a very low seed with a high % chance of continuing our non-winning streak. Would love to get on a mini run here and go deep into the NIT. Guys are good enough and deserve some late season success. They have shown fight all season long and have looked way above average when healthy.

With that said there is not a team in the Big10 tourney that we can't beat....

Figured this was worth updating as we head into the final stretch of the regular season. For Nebraska to make the NCAA tournament, it essentially needs to win out in the regular season and make the finals of the Big Ten tournament or just win the B1G tournament. So I'm not really going to waste any time discussing potential scenarios for that as that dream likely is dead.

However, the NIT is very much alive and I believe would be a huge step forward for the program. In order to qualify for the NIT, we have to be at least .500 overall. That makes these final regular season games MASSIVE as we move forward. This list of games was pulled from my OP in this thread, which was posted after wins @ Indiana and @ Maryland:

Games we are likely to win:

vs Iowa- W

vs Northwestern - L

vs Ohio State- L

@ Rutgers- L

@ Northwestern- L

@ Iowa- L

Penn State- W

vs Illinois

@ Minnesota

vs Michigan

Games that I think aren't very likely for us to win:

@ Michigan- L

vs Purdue- W

vs Michigan State- L

vs Wisconsin- L

@ Ohio State- W

@ Michigan State

Record in first games: 2-5

Record in second games: 2-3

Overall Record: 12-14

B1G Record: 6-8

Nebraska needs to go 3-1 in the last 4 games to have a chance at the NIT. I saw on Twitter that Nebraska would play in the CBI or CIT if they don't make the NIT which I'm not even going to provide scenarios for because they've likely already qualified for those tournaments if they really want to play in them. That makes this next game @ Michigan State absolutely massive. Win that one, and there is real hope that we can qualify for the NIT by holding serve at home. Lose that one, and we have to go on a 3 game winning streak going into the B1G tournament and likely win 2 games there to even be considered. Its that fine of a line unfortunately.

• Fire 1