Tournament Talk

There's 7 games left. Penn st and Illinois are the best chances at wins, then agin losing to Rutgers and garden Webb. Nothing a lock. This teams has 8 maybe 9 games left before they can go about there personal business for the year.

This team is not getting any better. Actually we are worse then about 6 years ago.

13-18(5-13) in 2015

16-18(6-12)in 2016

10-13(4-7) so far in 2017. Looking at 13-18 record at best. We may go dancing in 2019. Maybe.

You state that the team is worse then they were 6 years ago. is this based on your expectations? Big10 Standings? RPI? I personally think that we have some upward trajectory right now.... It would be nice for us to have a season playout that doesn't included contributors leaving early and injuries at areas that lack depth. Not sure if this has been "odd luck" or if this is how things roll with Miles?

I would think if we only win 4 of the last six we'd have to win the tournament. That would put us at 14-16 at the end of the regular season and it would still only be 18-16 if we win the tournament.

I'd say we'd have to at least win five of six and probably three games in the tournament to get us to 18-16. Then .... maybe. That would at least get us in the NIT, not sure if even that would be enough to get in the NCAA.

Edited by Mavric

Lets continue this discussion honestly.

How much weight does the committee put on playing good basketball at the end of the schedule, dealing with injuries in the middle and tough close losses?

I mean, say we do win our last 5 regular season games and then win 3 in the 'weak' B1G tournament....

That would mean we won 9 of our last 10.

We had a key injury in Morrow. We had a bunch of close tough losses(OSU, Clemson, UCLA-lead grew with fouls-, Rutgers, Wisconsin) and we do have 3 big wins. (Dayton, Purdue, Maryland.)

We also have a couple other solid wins, Indiana and Iowa.

This could get interesting. As of now, I'm planning on us needing to win the B1G Tournament to go dancing. If we play like we did last night, we could beat anyone.

How much weight does the committee put on playing good basketball at the end of the schedule, dealing with injuries in the middle and tough close losses?

I mean, say we do win our last 5 regular season games and then win 3 in the 'weak' B1G tournament....

We had a key injury in Morrow. We had a bunch of close tough losses(OSU, Clemson, UCLA-lead grew with fouls-, Rutgers, Wisconsin) and we do have 3 big wins. (Dayton, Purdue, Maryland.)

This could get interesting. As of now, I'm planning on us needing to win the B1G Tournament to go dancing. If we play like we did last night, we could beat anyone.

I don't expect Nebraska to win these last 5 games (maybe 3-4), but I've said all along that I could see this team making a run in the B1G tourney. For all Nebraska's faults, they CAN play with anybody in this league.

I don't expect Nebraska to win these last 5 games (maybe 3-4), but I've said all along that I could see this team making a run in the B1G tourney. For all Nebraska's faults, they CAN play with anybody in this league.

I think 3-4 is pretty realistic.

They CAN play with anyone but we can also lose to anyone. Not consistent to make a run, imo. Plus Miles has not been very good in the post-season.

I think 3-4 is pretty realistic.

They CAN play with anyone but we can also lose to anyone. Not consistent to make a run, imo. Plus Miles has not been very good in the post-season.

Miles is routinely out coached. I'd like to see him make some assistant changes to help on the X's-O's side.

This season feels like Mike Riley's first year with the football team. Lose three games by a point and one by two points. All very easily could have been wins. Slap in that GW game and all of the sudden you have a 16-9 record and are squarely on the bubble with some great wins on the resume.

Oh what could have been.

They need to win the Big Ten Tourney. It really is that simple.

They have maybe one good win (MD), I don't think the Indiana win will be counted on as much. Losing Morrow sucked but it is not like they lost a guy that was averaging 17/9 a night.

Some bad losses don't help and the Big Ten is horrible this year. MSU might miss the dance and Izzo has his worst team in 19 years. Illinois is way down...Wisconsin is okay...Indiana might miss the dance...Michigan might miss the dance...OSU will miss the dance. NW is the second/third best team in the conference.

They got a nice win over a PSU that was ripe for a loss after beating MD and winning on the road at Illinois. But just like about 8 teams in the conference they need to win the tourney to get in.

And the "last 10" thing is not really a thing...they look at the body of work.

They need to win the Big Ten Tourney. It really is that simple.

They have maybe one good win (MD), I don't think the Indiana win will be counted on as much. Losing Morrow sucked but it is not like they lost a guy that was averaging 17/9 a night.

Some bad losses don't help and the Big Ten is horrible this year. MSU might miss the dance and Izzo has his worst team in 19 years. Illinois is way down...Wisconsin is okay...Indiana might miss the dance...Michigan might miss the dance...OSU will miss the dance. NW is the second/third best team in the conference.

They got a nice win over a PSU that was ripe for a loss after beating MD and winning on the road at Illinois. But just like about 8 teams in the conference they need to win the tourney to get in.

And the "last 10" thing is not really a thing...they look at the body of work.

The NIT is hardly an option either without a solid run. The Dance shouldn't even be in our minds right now. The portion in bold is the only way in.

I'd start with getting out of playing the first day of the conference tourney before any thoughts of a run.

That is bottom 4 teams, right?

Yes it is. After that I believe every team outside the top 4 teams in conference play each other. So if we do not play the first day we would have to win four games to win the conference tournament.