Sears To Go Bankrupt, Likely Finished

Who remembers getting dragged to Sears with their parents?

I remember getting the Sears Wish List Christmas Catalog every year and thinking it was the most magical thing ever. I would stare at that thing all day, thinking about the amazing Christmas gifts I was going to ask for.

Damn, that brings back some memories. Sears, Montgomery Wards and J C Penny's catalogs. :thumbs

Yup, would spend hours studying those catalogs to make sure Santa's list was just perfect.

And Penney's always had a pretty risqué lingerie section to boot. Probably would've gone blind if Victoria's Secret existed back then. :lol:

I thought that's what everyone was already talking about.

• Fire 1

Do any SEARS actually still exist that aren't part of a shopping mall?

IDK, the one in Greeley is in a mall. Sears is the only reason I ever go there, once or twice per year. (Except for the movie theatre which is sort of attached to the mall). Whenever I go there I get this strange feeling I've been transported back in time to a ghost town. The whole mall is pretty much a ghost town except for the teenage hooligans. The theatre on the other side is always hoppin'. It seems so dead in Sears and their methods antiquated. I think they didn't/aren't surviving because they refused to update and advance with the times. I go there exclusively for Craftsman. Have compared larger appliance purchases there but never got one. Don't even consider them for clothing or electronics.

The local mall was hoppin' when I moved here in 2001. Then The Legends was built in KCK 20 minutes away. Then the Wal-Mart across from an access road moved to the other side of town and was built as a Super Wal-Mart. Eventually they tore down the whole thing except for the True Value Hardware (which is sill going) and the empty Sears store on the opposite side of here the mall was.

No doubt the big box stores and strip malls all but killed traditional malls. Not to mention Amazon and online sellers... If Sears would've specialized in Craftsman, Diehard and Kenmore and shed the dead weight, they'd likely have survived forever. They were probably too committed in property and real estate too think they could downsize their stores.

Plus, didn't they acquire KMart after their demise was written on the wall? Brilliant.

knapp's felony illegal parking at a fast food joint story reminded me...

The time I met Tom Osborne, he was illegally parked at the Amigo's on 14th street while buying a smoothie at Red Mango.

I'm sorry if this sullies anyone's impression of him as a good person.

That just shows me he's a real person like the rest of us. I always park illegally at that Amigos to go get Canes.

knapp's felony illegal parking at a fast food joint story reminded me...

The time I met Tom Osborne, he was illegally parked at the Amigo's on 14th street while buying a smoothie at Red Mango.

I'm sorry if this sullies anyone's impression of him as a good person.

That just shows me he's a real person like the rest of us. I always park illegally at that Amigos to go get Canes.

You, TO and knapp are all dead to me.

• Fire 1
  • 2 months later...

From yesterday: "Our historical operating results indicate substantial doubt exists related to the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern...we cannot predict, with certainty, the outcome of our actions to generate liquidity, including the availability of additional debt financing, or whether such actions would generate the expected liquidity as currently planned."

It sounds like Sears is all but admitting they are finished.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2017/03/22/sears-tells-us-what-many-already-knew-here-are-winners-and-losers/