When will Trump get impeached?

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A petition that seems to be gaining some traction. They have an ad up in Times Square. 

https://action.needtoimpeach.com/act?sc=lr_20171129_change

Edit: I thought I was sharing the whole newsletter thing I received but they currently have 3 million signatures. The ad is a digital billboard that shows where signatures are coming from all over the US. Pretty cool.

Edited by Nebfanatic

Morning Joe show has it about right. Wt all of his stranger tweets, picking battles wt British PM May - Trump is becoming unhinged.  Time for amendment 25 article 4 action - if only the cabinet, VP, and Congress had the guts to do so.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/msnbcs-morning-joe-trump-mentally-ill-has-dementia-remove-him-office

Brzezinski also quoted "New York Times" reporter Maggie Haberman, who said "something is unleashed with him lately. I don't know what's causing it. I don't know how to describe it."

Among the most recent criticisms of Trump: His feud with British Prime Minister Therea May over Trump's retweeting of "conspiracy theories," including videos posted by a British woman that purport to show Muslims killing Christians or attacking Christian symbols.

Scarborough said Trump's tweet about him is another "cruel" conspiracy theory:

"And this comes in the midst of a nuclear showdown with North Korea," Scarborough said. “So I'm just kind of wondering -- what's the Cabinet waiting for? What are Republicans in the House and Senate -- because it's never going to get more deadly serious than it is now."

Scarborough predicted that “America will survive this," but -- "at this particular moment...we are headed toward a nuclear showdown...We are closer to a war on the Korean Peninsula than most Americans know."

"If this is not what the 25th Amendment was drafted for -- I would like the Cabinet members, serving America, not the president, serving America ...you don't represent him," Scarborough continued.

"You represent 325 million people whose lives are literally in your hands, and we are facing a showdown with a nuclear power and you have somebody inside the White House that the New York Daily News says is mentally unfit; that people close to him say is mentally unfit; that people close to him during the campaign told me had early stages of dementia.

“When are we supposed to say this?” Scarborough asked. “After the first nuclear missile goes? Is that when it's proper to bring this up in polite society?

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Morning Joe show has it about right. Wt all of his stranger tweets, picking battles wt British PM May - Trump is becoming unhinged.  Time for amendment 25 article 4 action - if only the cabinet, VP, and Congress had the guts to do so.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/msnbcs-morning-joe-trump-mentally-ill-has-dementia-remove-him-office

Brzezinski also quoted "New York Times" reporter Maggie Haberman, who said "something is unleashed with him lately. I don't know what's causing it. I don't know how to describe it."

Among the most recent criticisms of Trump: His feud with British Prime Minister Therea May over Trump's retweeting of "conspiracy theories," including videos posted by a British woman that purport to show Muslims killing Christians or attacking Christian symbols.

Scarborough said Trump's tweet about him is another "cruel" conspiracy theory:

"And this comes in the midst of a nuclear showdown with North Korea," Scarborough said. “So I'm just kind of wondering -- what's the Cabinet waiting for? What are Republicans in the House and Senate -- because it's never going to get more deadly serious than it is now."

Scarborough predicted that “America will survive this," but -- "at this particular moment...we are headed toward a nuclear showdown...We are closer to a war on the Korean Peninsula than most Americans know."

"If this is not what the 25th Amendment was drafted for -- I would like the Cabinet members, serving America, not the president, serving America ...you don't represent him," Scarborough continued.

"You represent 325 million people whose lives are literally in your hands, and we are facing a showdown with a nuclear power and you have somebody inside the White House that the New York Daily News says is mentally unfit; that people close to him say is mentally unfit; that people close to him during the campaign told me had early stages of dementia.

“When are we supposed to say this?” Scarborough asked. “After the first nuclear missile goes? Is that when it's proper to bring this up in polite society?

The problem/fear of this is that by invalidating Trump's right to rule on the grounds that he has a diminished cognitive ability due to dementia, that this would also be used to invalidate the beliefs of the people that voted for him (right or wrong).  

Frankly, the only thing scarier than what Trump says and does is that there are people that believe the tripe that he peddles. Whether that's due to mental illness, ignorance (willful or otherwise), or social parasites simply being opportunistic, what Trump and his followers believe is so far off the proverbial reservation, that evoking this to remove Trump will trickle down upon those that supported him, which would ultimately decimate the ranks of the GOP.

The question that GOP leadership need to ask themselves is what is more important: being the ruling party, or having a country to host your political party in?

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

The problem/fear of this is that by invalidating Trump's right to rule on the grounds that he has a diminished cognitive ability due to dementia, how long before this is used to invalidate the beliefs of the people that voted for him (right or wrong).  

Frankly, the only thing scarier than what Trump says and does is that there are people that believe the tripe that he peddles. Whether that's due to mental illness, ignorance (willful or otherwise), or social parasites simply being opportunistic, what Trump and his followers believe is so far off the proverbial reservation, that evoking this to remove Trump will trickle down upon those that supported him, which would ultimately decimate the ranks of the GOP.

And that's exactly why they won't budge an inch on trying to do anything about him until they're absolutely forced to. Mueller would have to pin a couple federal offenses to his chest before they'd even consider it.

They know if they dethrone Trump, they're losing Trump supporters. I don't think President Mike Pence can win even against a ho-hum generic Democrat without that faction of the coalition.

Remember, Mike Pence is not very good at governance.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

And that's exactly why they won't budge an inch on trying to do anything about him until they're absolutely forced to. Mueller would have to pin a couple federal offenses to his chest before they'd even consider it.

They know if they dethrone Trump, they're losing Trump supporters. I don't think President Mike Pence can win even against a ho-hum generic Democrat without that faction of the coalition.

There's very few within the current-day GOP that are very good at anything, let alone governance. The party has been infested with alt-right vermin over the past decade or so. I say this as a fan of the 1950s Ike-era GOP, and not the current facade it has become. 

And this goes beyond Trump supporters being simply disenfranchised--it's the association of mental illness due to similar beliefs (and the lack of rational thought) which would cause problems for the more vocal of Trump's supporters (e.g. Trump supporters being fired for posting on FB statements similar to what Trump made). 

I mean, if we point to Trump's social media and boot him for being mentally unfit, how long before someone says something similar on social media, and they're labeled mentally unfit (regardless if the designation is valid) as well?

Edited by VectorVictor

The GOP leadership has a royal mess.  They don't want but need Trump supporters.  They don't like Trump but need him to get their agenda through.  They, as you note, are infested with the the alt-right yet to take a strong stand against them is to stir the bees nest and cause moderates like Flake from Arizona to lose their voice when it most matters.  I think the only fix for this GOP is a strong trashing at the polls and coming back re-branded and hopefully more centered.  The other option is the courageous option which I don't see the strength of character to take - standup as a party leadership and say enough.  Denounce Trump, the alt right and take action to remove their influence on the party even if it means a temporary loss of governance leadership.   As I mentioned before, this current party doesn't know how to govern - too trapped in their own ideology. 

I just finished reading David McCullough's book on Truman - that guy had the strength of character to lead and make the hard decisions.   Something so lacking today.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I just finished reading David McCullough's book on Truman - that guy had the strength of character to lead and make the hard decisions.   Something so lacking today.

Restrictions on bribery campaign donations?

49 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Restrictions on bribery campaign donations?

Please explain.  Are you saying we should have restrictions on campaign (yes bribery) donations today (I don't think you were refering back to Truman).  If so - I agree.  I use to be in favor of the Citzens v United ruling - now I am not. We have a  congress that money can buy.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Please explain.  Are you saying we should have restrictions on campaign (yes bribery) donations today (I don't think you were refering back to Truman).  If so - I agree.  I use to be in favor of the Citzens v United ruling - now I am not. We have a  congress that money can buy.

Citizens United is a large part of this, but even simple things, like reinstating the FCC's fairness doctrine in news broadcasting (eliminated by Reagan) would help prevent channels like Fox News from spewing the crap they do now, especially if there are teeth behind such a provision. 

Also going back and reinstating regulations on how many media outlets one organization can own would do wonders to help with combating these fraudulent narratives...especially coupled with Net Neutrality. 

That's just off the top of my head. 

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Citizens United is a large part of this, but even simple things, like reinstating the FCC's fairness doctrine in news broadcasting (eliminated by Reagan) would help prevent channels like Fox News from spewing the crap they do now, especially if there are teeth behind such a provision. 

Also going back and reinstating regulations on how many media outlets one organization can own would do wonders to help with combating these fraudulent narratives...especially coupled with Net Neutrality. 

That's just off the top of my head. 

I think the bold is really a key.  Murdocks own Fox, WSJ and I can't remember what else.  You also have large corp ownership of radio stations so you have the same voices heard throughout the nation and making it hard for new voices or opposite opinions from breaking through.  Go on the AM dial and the predominance is Rush, Hannity, Savage, Beck, and lessor extent Ingram, Levin, and others.  One has to turn on NPR to get a different perspective - something I've done a lot lately.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

That's ok because everybody on the "other" side would be considerered terrible - so i guess not very good would be an upgrade.....

Trump is saying and doing the same crazy s#!t that got him elected. 

We're outraged. His base is not. They are having the time of their lives watching the libtards squirm. 

And thrust into the role of Good Cop/Bad Cop, the GOP is able to pursue a binding far right agenda while acting dismayed by their president's behavior.

I wouldn't put my own money on impeachment, but there certainly are valid scenarios. Both GOP leadership and moneyed interests like the Koch's would far prefer President Pence. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Trump is saying and doing the same crazy s#!t that got him elected. 

We're outraged. His base is not. They are having the time of their lives watching the libtards squirm. 

And thrust into the role of Good Cop/Bad Cop, the GOP is able to pursue a binding far right agenda while acting dismayed by their president's behavior.

I wouldn't put my own money on impeachment, but there certainly are valid scenarios. Both GOP leadership and moneyed interests like the Koch's would far prefer President Pence. 

You hit on an interesting dilemma that the GOP faces...

With Trump, they seem to have someone under whose leadership (or lack thereof) they can pass whatever far right agenda they want. We're talking the tax bill, which is hot garbage for the middle class and poor folks, Scott Pruitt's utter destruction of the EPA, Tillerson's of State, the Travel Ban, letting DACA lapse and punching a crapload of innocent kids... etc. etc. I've always thought they view Trump as pretty disposable - use his abdication of leadership to pass whatever you really want, then boot him and blame him if it turns out to be completely unpopular. 

On the other hand - is he the blank check they think he is? He's tried and failed to implement certain policies that many of them agree with that are otherwise lacking mainstream appeal. And recent elections are hinting at the possibility people are pretty ticked off and blaming the GOP and not just Trump. They may yet pay a price for their own shenanigans rather than just jettisoning Trump and washing their hands of him.

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

With the Flynn plea deal, impeachment time frame may have been moved up - won't know until we see the fallout but I cannot but think there is some heavy machinery at work right now clearing the path towards impeachment.

Flynn has evidence on Trump. Mueller can't indict a sitting president. Mueller writes report of all evidence of crime by Trump. Trump fires Mueller before he can finish report.

This is how the president will be impeached, if ever. I don't even know if Mueller's report, no matter how long and damning, would be enough to sway the GOP congress.