LJS: Banker talks of key regrets in wake of ouster as Husker defensive coordinator

Banker hitched his wagon to Riley after no one would take him when he was fired at Hawaii (whole staff). He had to become a GA at USC just to get work. Riley has since had him as a coach for almost 20 years, that's a lot of $. Riley, as far as I'm concerned doesn't owe him anything else. Riley has helped Banker's career more than any other coach probably would have. This time of year most coaches are always on the road, almost impossible to do it in person.

I wish Banker nothing but the best going forward. It would have been better for him or our media to try not to stir something up though.

• Fire 1

Our media focuses on some incredibly stupid things.

Just hired one of the best young DCs in CFB - nope, let's focus alot of attention on Mark Banker's feelings being hurt.

One of the few times I'll side with the media but it's their job to report all sides...At least it used to be. Maybe weve forgotten with all the fake news these days.

You've known a guy, coached with a guy, and been friends with a guy for 20 years? Man up and do it in person.

He was in Denver on his way to Tulsa... Did you want Riley to fly out there or call him back but not say why?

It sucks but that was the only way it would work... cant wait a few days and lose out on a guy because you didnt want to hurt feelings.

• Fire 1

Wonder if Banker reached out to the LJS staff like he supposedly did to McKewon. Cause that is what Sam is saying happened on twitter

He has every right to share his side.. And I am sure Riley will have a chance to share his side eventually.

I have no problem with how the media handled this but do think Banker is being a bit unfair criticizing Riley for firing by phone.

Then again he was just fired, so I understand he is bummed.

Wonder if Banker reached out to the LJS staff like he supposedly did to McKewon. Cause that is what Sam is saying happened on twitter

I think both the OWH and LJS reached out to Banker when the news broke on Wednesday. They left messages with him. It's good to see he responded and was able to get his side of the story out there.

McKewon is saying Banker called first

Our media focuses on some incredibly stupid things.

Just hired one of the best young DCs in CFB - nope, let's focus alot of attention on Mark Banker's feelings being hurt.

One of the few times I'll side with the media but it's their job to report all sides...At least it used to be. Maybe weve forgotten with all the fake news these days.

Here's the problem - this stuff gets used negatively against the school. That good guy rep Mike Riley has? Schools will now show the articles and spin it as "Riley did this to his best friend of 20 years; you think he's going to look after you?"

It's already been a point of contention between the AD and the local media with all the "hot seat" talk during the season. The coaches were having to answer those questions to recruits far too often because the local media will not just shut up.

It sucks for Banker. But dude has been an average DC for a LONG time, and has gotten paid quite often out of loyalty more than results. He got $500k a year to recruit his butt off, and put out top defenses. He did neither while he was here. The only thing he was owed when he signed that contract was a whistle, an office, and a paycheck.

Banker is right about one thing, we're all grown ass men. So stop expecting to be coddled, and accept the result of your mediocre performances. It sucks. But it's reality.

• Fire 1

I think both the OWH and LJS reached out to Banker when the news broke on Wednesday. They left messages with him. It's good to see he responded and was able to get his side of the story out there.
McKewon is saying Banker called first
Sam tweeted that Banker called after the Diaco news broke. Sam said on The Bottom Line with Severe that he called Banker on Wednesday. Banker didn't answer, but Sam left a message saying he appreciated his cooperation with the media during his time at NU. So, it's not surprising that Banker called him back today.