The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

Just now, knapplc said:

Same. Absolutely loved Paul Harvey. They used to run reruns of his shows on some station here in Lincoln and I'd still listen to him. Such good radio, delivered well, with honor and credibility.

Best part of the week was at the end and he'd sign on with, "Good morning, Americans! It's FRIDAY!"  

Miss that guy so much. 

Yes, even today I'll repeat that line about Friday to people at work. 

He was the talk radio king before there was a Rush.  You always felt better after listening to him, even if it was bad news that he had to deliver.  His Christmas story and Easter story (Bird in a Cage) and July 4th special 15 min broadcasts were things to be waited for all year long.  He and radio like that are truly missed. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Wasn't Rush the one that made fun of a 13 y/o girl, was openly a bigot, and said Michael J Fox was faking Parkinson's?

Lots of hatred in that dude. 

He was a racist dirtbag. 

Some gems from the right-wing hero:

“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

[To an African American female caller]: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

“Let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do — let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work.”

“You’re a foreigner. You shut your mouth or you get out.”

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He was a racist dirtbag. 

“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

[To an African American female caller]: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

“Let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do — let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work.”

Also read he called a college woman a "Slut" and "Prostitute" for lobbying for paid contraceptives...

politics aside, he seemed to just be a terrible person. 

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He was a racist dirtbag. 

9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Also read he called a college woman a "Slut" and "Prostitute" for lobbying for paid contraceptives...

politics aside, he seemed to just be a terrible person. 

Yes, when I first heard his show and listened regularly, I liked that someone was standing up for conservative ideas.  But the problem is, we can like our 'conservative hero' and so we just swallow those bones that get caught in our throat - the bones that both of you mention above. If we keep swallowing those bones we eventually become like them.  I had to step away.  It wasn't just Rush, it was Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and Hannity.  A constant diet of that and we end up with a cold heart at the least and wt Jan 6th at the worst.   I'm glad I stepped away a number of years ago -

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, when I first heard his show and listened regularly, I like someone standing up for conservative values.  But the problem is, we can like our 'conservative hero' and just swallow those bones that get caught in our throat - the bones the both of you mention above. If we keep swallowing those bones we eventually become like them.  I had to step away.  It wasn't just Rush, it was Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and Hannity.  A constant diet of that and we end up a cold heart at the least and wt Jan 6th at the worst.   I'm glad I stepped away a number of years ago -

Yes, I don't think providing conservative commentary makes one a bad person. Insulting children, insulting people based on race or sexuality, insulting someone with Parkinson's? Like damn, you can make a point without putting people down. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

My dad used to listen to Rush in the early part of his career; he said Rush changed a lot over the last 20 years to the point that he couldn't listen to him anymore, particularly in the last 5-10 years. I personally could not listen to Rush.

Even though many may not think he deserves it, I generally try to be respectful of the dead. There's no question he was an influential political commentator and broadcaster. But, his brand and content were deplorable, and I don't think it had any place in broadcasting.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yes, I don't think providing conservative commentary makes one a bad person. Insulting children, insulting people based on race or sexuality, insulting someone with Parkinson's? Like damn, you can make a point without putting people down. 

Yep, as @knapplc and I said above, Paul Harvey was conservative (perhaps leaning towards moderate but not a hard right person by any means) but he was a person of grace.  He didn't push his ideas and force his way.   He didn't attack people for their ideas.  He may question the validity of some of those ideas but he wasn't going to destroy a person for them.   A different era perhaps. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My dad used to listen to Rush in the early part of his career; he said Rush changed a lot over the last 20 years to the point that he couldn't listen to him anymore, particularly in the last 5-10 years. I personally could not listen to Rush.

Even though many may not think he deserves it, I generally try to be respectful of the dead. There's no question he was an influential political commentator and broadcaster. But, his brand and content were deplorable, and I don't think it had any place in broadcasting.

You gotta think the change was at least in part a business decision.  Lots of money peddling hate and discontent these days.  I'm wondering how his meet and greet is going with St. Peter.  

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe its my age - it was always Paul Harvey that I listened to at lunch.   I probably teared up when I heard the news about Harvey's death. I grew up in SD hearing him on KSOO radio Sioux Falls before school and the Rest of the Story after school.  He was a Tulsa native and his police father was killed in the line of duty here in Tulsa.

I was a Rush fan for many years and then I had to turn away some years ago as well as turn from  the rest of talk radio.  I was becoming a cult member and frankly was becoming hard  hearted just listening to all of the negativity.   While I will agree with some of his positions even today(the true conservative stuff but not the trumpism, nationalism stuff, let me add - racist stuff), I had to turn away to protect my own emotions - I can't agree with the attitude. Beliefs create fruit, and I didn't like some of the fruit it was producing in me as a result of listening.   I think, to some extent, the attitudes we saw on Jan 6th were fostered by Rush, talk radio and FoxNews - constantly painting others as the enemy just because they had different solutions to the same problems the country needed solving.  Constant labeling others as liberals- as the equivalent to devil - it is no wonder there is so much hatred in political discussions.

Yessir, me as well. Paul was my noon time staple until he passed. 

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Yeah. And there are reels and reels of tape of him spouting similar hateful diatribes.

I feel like if a person doesn't want to be spoken ill of when dead, they shouldn't be such an alienating dirtbag when alive. Rush chose his path, and he was not an innocent. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1