The Republican Utopia

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Surely you can see why the “lowest unemployment ever” measure doesn’t have the meaning Trump is placing on it. He’s even gone as far as saying, because of this #, that he’s so much better for Blacks than Obama was. How can anyone look at the chart QMany posted and make that claim?

The correct measure to look at in comparing the 2 is what the rate of decrease is, and it’s about the same for both. That’s something to be proud of, without bragging and tearing down what Obama did. He doesn’t even need to mention Obama. He can just talk about the steady decrease instead of claiming things got so much better for Blacks because of this # — they didn’t.

And here’s a great example of why this is a bad measure to look at and you need to look at the trend/rate:

https://www.apnews.com/d7a35c3d0ad342ad8b3a041226f06746

I don’t know if the above still holds true but let’s pretend it does for the sake of argument. If other people use the same argument that Trump uses for Black unemployment, it’s extremely easy to throw the same argument back at him on any topic. It’s called cherry picking the data. All you have to do is find any data point where things are worse now than they were the day he took over, and that isn’t fair. Just like it isn’t fair to say Trump fixed something when the trend is exactly the same as it has been for years.

Same thing goes with his “highest stock prices ever” brag. They then took a tumble and then suddenly he stopped talking about them. The real measure of success on these things is trend, not the final data point.

Another way to say it’s a bad measure to look at — if the Black unemployment rate is the same in 2020 as it is today, it would still be the lowest ever. But the rate of decrease for Trump would be much worse than it was for Obama. It should be obvious that a plateau here would indicate that Trump didn’t do as much to improve things as Obama did. I’m not saying I think this will happen. Just trying to explain why the final data point is not a good measure of success.

I will first start off with an apology as I had an extremely long day at work and have not been able to check this for over 11 hours.  With that said, Trump bragging on numbers that make him look good for pointing out things that make Obama look bad is no different than what Obama did.  Obama's entire first term was full of blaming Bush to the point where cartoonists were finding silly things to blame Bush for.  It doesn't make it right for either, but to suggest Trump is the only one to take this approach is naive.

As for using percents, this is ok to do when there when you are talking pure numbers and the deltas between those, but you typically do not talk about the rate of change (a percent) of a value already classified as a percent.  So if we are talking about the unemployment rate or polling figures, those are already in percents, whereas with the Dow Jones index, this is where you would want to compare the changes bases on the deltas.  I do agree that trends are good too and one key trend line that transcends all economic figures and polls is the Right Track/Wrong Track index.  This is a good gauge of how Americans are feeling about the country, and the trend for this has taken a positive turn since Trump took office.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question.

What has Trump done to "meet in the middle" or even try to welcome people who disagree with him?

I'm really interested in this answer because, living in central Nebraska, I'm good friends with lots of Trump supporters.  And...pretty much all of them...the thing they love about him the most is that he DOESN'T meet in the middle and he doesn't give a s#!t what anyone on the other side thinks.  I watch clips of his rally's and the biggest cheers come when he ridicules the other side and says the most controversial things about them.  Is that somehow meeting in the middle or trying to work with them?

So....I find your post puzzling.

Trump is a street fighter, and when it makes sense to hold firm, he will.  However, I think he is also a transactional POTUS like Clinton was, and the prime example was with the immigration debate in which he told both sides to work something out and send him something and he would likely approve it.  Remember his willingness to cave on DACA despite the frustration from the Right?  He wanted to get a deal done.  

As for campaign season, all politicians go in attack mode.  How often do you see a person running for office spend a lot of time at a campaign rally complimenting their opponent?

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

There are plenty of people all over the spectrum that engage and enjoy P&R. There are plenty who disagree on pretty much every topic imaginable and still have good conversation and feel heard/welcome/respected.

Any particular person (not naming any names) not being received well has nothing to do with being on the right. The label of troll is an accurate one. Not the fault of anyone else if the number of trolls is disproportionately represented by one side of the political ideology. Those people can go ahead and refuse to engage in this forum. The rest of us are much better for it. 

I would disagree...I have heard from several Conservatives who are actively engaged in the football forums that refuse to come to the P&R forum as a result of the imbalance of views.  Over 80% of the posts on here are anti-Trump/Republican and of the new threads being created most are anti-Trump/Republican.  This is not representative of the reality of our political climate today.  I get that this can be a safe zone for some who are triggered by Trump.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

LOL no he isn't.  He's a grifter.

And he engenders so little loyalty in those around him that they let him do this.

41n1UIt.gif

You can think what you want, but the reason Trump has such a loyal base is that, where it matters, he doesn't cave and he fights back when poked.  If Bush 41 or 43 had a Supreme Court nominee smeared with false allegations, they would have withdrawn the nominee and given in to the circus atmosphere created by the left and the media.  Trump won't do that, and the Conservative movement has been seeking that kind of champion for decades.

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

the reason Trump has such a loyal base is that, where it matters, he doesn't cave and he fights back when poked

No, Trump is a snake-oil salesman and he's taken advantage of a group of Americans who have been taught to hate their fellow countrymen by decades of hate-filled lies from Fox News.

He is the person who takes advantage of the maxim, "there's a sucker born every minute." 

Your environment is being raped. Your government is spending your money on insanely frivolous things. Your country may have been assaulted by a foreign nation, and he won't even investigate it - won't talk about it. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Trump won't do that, and the Conservative movement has been seeking that kind of champion for decades.

This is just sad.  Take a good, hard look at the man you're celebrating as your champion. 

• Plus1 6
Just now, knapplc said:

No, Trump is a snake-oil salesman and he's taken advantage of a group of Americans who have been taught to hate their fellow countrymen by decades of hate-filled lies from Fox News.

He is the person who takes advantage of the maxim, "there's a sucker born every minute." 

Your environment is being raped. Your government is spending your money on insanely frivolous things. Your country may have been assaulted by a foreign nation, and he won't even investigate it - won't talk about it. 

This is just sad.  Take a good, hard look at the man you're celebrating as your champion. 

You have facts or data points to back up your opinion statements?  Just kidding.  I honestly never thought that any man could trigger so many others, but that is what Trump does to you and many on this forum.  You can call Trump whatever you like, it's a free country, but the reality is that he is gaining more fans than he is losing, and producing results domestically and abroad faster than any POTUS I have seen. The guy is a workaholic and never sleeps, and some who have worked in multiple WH staffs have said they have never worked for a POTUS they cannot keep up with.  

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You can call Trump whatever you like, it's a free country, but the reality is that he is gaining more fans than he is losing

Fox News is lying to you.  Stop listening to them.

Trump’s approval rating has fallen in every state

producing results domestically and abroad faster than any POTUS I have seen

Automaker Ford plans layoffs, blames Trump tariffs for $1 billion loss: report

The guy is a workaholic and never sleeps

Donald Trump spends 'up to eight hours a day watching TV' - report

"Workaholic"

LOL

How many times has President Donald Trump played golf while in office?

How many times has Trump played golf as President of the United States? Since taking office on Jan. 20, 2017, Mr. Trump has reportedly been on the grounds of his golf courses or played golf elsewhere 159 times since becoming President, and that's as of Oct. 7, 2018.

The cost of Trump's golf rounds to the American taxpayer varies by round and course, but it has totaled so far in the tens of millions of dollars.

He previously was on pace to visit his golf clubs more than 650 times in an eight-year presidency. However, his pace as of Aug. 6, 2018 now indicates Trump would spend as much as 745 days of his presidency at a golf course if he wins a second term and serves both terms to completion.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Trump’s approval rating has fallen in every state

Automaker Ford plans layoffs, blames Trump tariffs for $1 billion loss: report

Donald Trump spends 'up to eight hours a day watching TV' - report

You are the king of pulling random facts out your ****.  

1.  It's pretty sad you are relying on a poll from 5 months ago and from an outlet (Morning Consult) that was way off before. 

2.  Referring to an article talking about one company's views on Trump does nothing to speak to the main gains Trump has made domestically and abroad.  Very weak attempt...even by you.

3.  Citing the NY Times as the source for this is a joke.  If you are getting your news from the NY Times, Washington Post, Huffington Post, MSNBC, or CNN you are brainwashed toward liberal views.  

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

"Plenty"?

El.Oh.El.

Plenty is relative. There are maybe 15-20 regulars here. Maybe I'm off and there are more. I feel like we've had a poll on it at some point.

Anyhow, in my head I can count 9 conservatives, at least 7 of which are Republican. 3-4 of them don't post very often. I'm assuming you're at least conservative but I'm not sure if you're Republican. I consider you one of the 3 who doesn't post very often. Then there are a bunch of independents who are very opposed to what the GOP has been doing the past several years. It might look like they're extreme left if you're a Trump fan but that's not necessarily the case. As far as Democrats, I think there may be less of them than Republicans.

The only actual Democrat I know of currently posting is Clifford. I'm assuming that nmhusker identifies as liberal if not also as Democrat, and assume the same about Moiraine. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle, but when literally everything is to your left, well, everything is going to look super left.

The, "If you get your news from any source my partisan right mind doesn't agree with then you're being brainwashed" bit would be unspeakably funny if it wasn't so frustrating and pitiful.

• Plus1 2