The Republican Utopia

11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

By all means, keep running on Republicans and Independents are racist.  I’m not gonna stop you.  It’s gonna work out great for ya:thumbs

I don't think there's much Democrats can do to combat Republican messaging.

But you can't act like Republicans don't run on race issues when CRT - something that doesn't exist - was central to their campaign. Or the numerous ways Trump ran on race (Rapists and murders, Obama isn't American, etc.). The problem Democrats have to face is they simply have to agree with them on these issues in order to be competitive. 

That doesn't mean that Republicans aren't guilty of fanning racial flames, it just means that they've gotten away with it in such a way that Democrats have to join them. 

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

@Dr. Strangelove just said they did and Republicans ran on racist ideals.  

There are some Republicans that run on racist ideals.  You can not deny that there is a certain portion of the base of Republicans that are extremely racist.  We have seen them raise their ugly head ever since Trump took office.  Some Republicans foster that are gain power from it.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are some Republicans that run on racist ideals.  You can not deny that there is a certain portion of the base of Republicans that are extremely racist.  We have seen them raise their ugly head ever since Trump took office.  Some Republicans foster that are gain power from it.

There's a reason Trump's opening foray into politics was schilling the conspiracy that Obama is not American.

Once he won that part of the Republican Party - which is sizable but not a majority - the rest of the voters were won via his anti-elite messaging. (Which of course is ironic coming from Trump for many reasons). Those voters aren't outright racist, but simply don't care about perceived racism or don't believe it's an issue in society today. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

There's a reason Trump's opening foray into politics was schilling the conspiracy that Obama is not American.

Once he won that part of the Republican Party - which is sizable but not a majority - the rest of the voters were won via his anti-elite messaging. (Which of course is ironic coming from Trump for many reasons). Those voters aren't outright racist, but simply don't care about perceived racism or don't believe it's an issue in society today. 

I agree.  What the Dems need to figure out is how to not fall into "agreeing with them" but run on other issues.  Nobody is going to change the fact that there are racist people in the world and they vote a certain way.  It's not fine, but it's reality.

Focus on issues that affect a large number of people.  The economy, health care, jobs, security...etc.  One thing that gets tiring from the left is that so often, no matter what issue it is, there will be a portion of their argument that has them yelling...."because that's racist".  Healthcare is racist.  The economy is racist.  Taxes are racist....and on and on and on.

These are all real issues that need addressed that affect BOTH white people and minorities.  Speak on that level instead of constantly trying to make white people feel like they need to support them because....well.....racism.

And...no, I'm not saying there isn't systemic racism in America.  There is.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is choosing to ignore it.  But.....it doesn't have to be the focal point of every single issue.

Sorry, having a tough week and went on a little rant there and probably got way off into the tall weeds on this.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  What the Dems need to figure out is how to not fall into "agreeing with them" but run on other issues.  Nobody is going to change the fact that there are racist people in the world and they vote a certain way.  It's not fine, but it's reality.

Focus on issues that affect a large number of people.  The economy, health care, jobs, security...etc.  One thing that gets tiring from the left is that so often, no matter what issue it is, there will be a portion of their argument that has them yelling...."because that's racist".  Healthcare is racist.  The economy is racist.  Taxes are racist....and on and on and on.

These are all real issues that need addressed that affect BOTH white people and minorities.  Speak on that level instead of constantly trying to make white people feel like they need to support them because....well.....racism.

And...no, I'm not saying there isn't systemic racism in America.  There is.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is choosing to ignore it.  But.....it doesn't have to be the focal point of every single issue.

Sorry, having a tough week and went on a little rant there and probably got way off into the tall weeds on this.

I agree with you for the most part. I do think you're giving to much credit to how much people care about policy - Democrats need to focus on issues like Healthcare, jobs, etc. But they need to frame those policies in a way that is harmful to Republicans and comes across as patriotic.

For example, they need to promote renewable energy development, but not to fight climate change. Phrase the issue (truthfully) that it's a national security imperative so America can compete with Chinese made solar/wind products and that our future energy is independent. 

What you said about racism is spot on. Even if there's truth to racism and how it impacts various issues,  stop mentioning it.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree with you for the most part. I do think you're giving to much credit to how much people care about policy - Democrats need to focus on issues like Healthcare, jobs, etc. But they need to frame those policies in a way that is harmful to Republicans and comes across as patriotic.

For example, they need to promote renewable energy development, but not to fight climate change. Phrase the issue (truthfully) that it's a national security imperative so America can compete with Chinese made solar/wind products and that our future energy is independent. 

What you said about racism is spot on. Even if there's truth to racism and how it impacts various issues,  stop mentioning it.

Is America worth saving if we can't campaign on the evils of racism? Or if we have to cloak everything in some faux patriotic cloth to entice voters?

I feel like pandering to that demographic will only make that demographic grow. And if that's where this country is headed, it can't be saved from itself. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Is America worth saving if we can't campaign on the evils of racism? Or if we have to cloak everything in some faux patriotic cloth to entice voters?

I feel like pandering to that demographic will only make that demographic grow. And if that's where this country is headed, it can't be saved from itself. 

I have no problem with a part of the platform about racism.  But, if that's going to be a part of every other issue that's raised, some people just start blurring it out.

Talk about healthcare.  But, I'm sorry, don't talk about it constantly as....well, our healthcare system is racist.  OK, it very well might be.  But, white people are negatively affected by it too and if you fix it, you can probably go a long ways to also fixing the racist part of it.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're not wrong.

American voters, particularly those on the right, aren't interested in confronting the problems this country is facing. 

But Democrats don't have a choice, they need to start winning elections. They can stick to their current coalition of educated Whites and a diverse coalition of voters concentrated in cities, but in that scenario they're going to lose rural white voters who control legislative power. They won't win Congress for two decades if current trends continue. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Talk about healthcare.  But, I'm sorry, don't talk about it constantly as....well, our healthcare system is racist.  OK, it very well might be.  But, white people are negatively affected by it too and if you fix it, you can probably go a long ways to also fixing the racist part of it.

Without a specific allegation it's hard to discuss this. Who said what part of our healthcare system is "racist," and in what way? 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wish more people realized what an incredible problem this is.  We have jobs.  We don't have people to fill those jobs.  Filling those jobs would foster more and more growth in the economy.

But.....we aren't supposed to welcome immigrants who want to work and better their lives.  Instead, we have a Texas governor who thinks spending billions to put up razor wire at the border is the answer instead of spending that on infrastructure that has been proven to be in horrible shape in his own state and a congress that seems to not even think about immigration reform.

Agreed. But immigration is a federal problem. Need to have good policy so they don’t have to rush the border. I don’t like part. No country should have that happen.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Without a specific allegation it's hard to discuss this. Who said what part of our healthcare system is "racist," and in what way? 

I don't have time to go searching for specific examples to provide links.  But, I've heard a number of times a Democrat talking about a healthcare problem and inevitably, a portion of the argument goes in the direction of racism.  Specifically, I've heard a number of times this in the abortion issue where they will be talking about maybe the Texas law that's in the news right now.  So often I've heard the discussion from Democrats and then they will say...."and this affects black people 38.5% more than white people".  OK...the issue is abortion services and if it should be made available to all women.  Why is bringing up that you believe the Texas law is racist because affects black women more than white women really a major point in this?  If you fix the problem, the services would be provided also to black women.   That is unless you are claiming the law provides white women with abortions but not black women.  Which....isn't the case.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Please continue this line of campaign thinking through 2022

Huge slam in that reply to Jemele, and she deserves it. Meet the newest racist I guess. It’s getting real old, real fast. This new lieutenant governor’s story is great. Jamaican immigrant, served in the Marines, VP of the board of education in VA, owns a business, director of Salvation Army homeless shelter. This was her response to Jemele.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

By all means, keep running on Republicans and Independents are racist.  I’m not gonna stop you.  It’s gonna work out great for ya:thumbs

Unironically, yes, many of them, particularly actual Republicans, are.

It might suck to hear that, but let's call a spade a spade instead of just pretending white grievance isn't a central theme connecting particularly rural Rs.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1