The Republican Utopia

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

More than the entirety of the popular vote total win for both HRC and TBG happened in 2 states…CA and NY.  Over 8 million vote difference in 2020 in just those 2 states.  

Yeah, Democrats run up the score in a few populous states. But the reality is that if they could trade ~1 million voters in California for 20,000 voters in Wisconsin, they'd do it in a heartbeat. If they could trade ~500,000 votes in NY for 50,000 in Georgia, they'd do it. 

• TBH 1

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Very good article here by The Atlantic on why our politics are so polarized. Really, read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/01/cultural-pessimism-america-self-fulfilling-effects/677261/

Couldn't get all of it, but, yes.  All people do is work to scare the crap out of people.  You longer are voting for anything, just against it.  God forbid we apply the third option in the country.  That is, let's start with things we all agree on.

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yeah, Democrats run up the score in a few populous states. But the reality is that if they could trade ~1 million voters in California for 20,000 voters in Wisconsin, they'd do it in a heartbeat. If they could trade ~500,000 votes in NY for 50,000 in Georgia, they'd do it. 

I mean...they can.  All they have to do is move.  If they REALLY cared.

1 minute ago, Crusader Husker said:

No one puts Baby in the corner!!

Such a great line!

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I certainly understand that, however, this shows that the popular vote win totals are confined to 2 extremely populated extremely Democrat Blue states.  Combine the rest of the country and it’s pretty balanced.   

I also often wonder if it were a true popular vote contest, what the vote totals would be for each party in those respective states.    I would imagine those vote totals would be closer 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I certainly understand that, however, this shows that the popular vote win totals are confined to 2 extremely populated extremely Democrat Blue states.  Combine the rest of the country and it’s pretty balanced.   

I also often wonder if it were a true popular vote contest, what the vote totals would be for each party in those respective states.    I would imagine those vote totals would be closer 

Certainly possible. I think the Republican Party would put more resources to win over voters in those states. Currently, they mostly invest in only competitive house districts.

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Couldn't get all of it, but, yes.  All people do is work to scare the crap out of people.  You longer are voting for anything, just against it.  God forbid we apply the third option in the country.  That is, let's start with things we all agree on.

Hmmm, wonder why you didn’t get all of it? That usually happens to me also as I don’t subscribe to The Atlantic but I got the whole article this time. :dunno