The Republican Utopia

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not this "southern strategy'

Just this "Southern Strategy"

"You start out in 1954 by saying, '[N-word, N-word, N-word].' By 1968 you can't say '[N-word]'— that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states' rights, and all that stuff, and you're getting so abstract. Now, you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites. ... 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than '[N-word, N-word].'" -Lee Atwater

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Just this "Southern Strategy"

"You start out in 1954 by saying, '[N-word, N-word, N-word].' By 1968 you can't say '[N-word]'— that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states' rights, and all that stuff, and you're getting so abstract. Now, you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites. ... 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than '[N-word, N-word].'" -Lee Atwater

Lee Atwater was a slime bag.  His whole GHWB campaign was in the same tone as  Sherman's March to the Sea - total devastation - facts be dammed.  He also had a crime  strategy - remember Willie Horton.  Thus painting Bush's opponent as weak on crime.  I wouldn't take his talk as speaking for the full republican party.   I don't think you mix tax cuts, smaller govt policies (traditional Repub policies) with Atwater racist verbiage. Those concept were there well before GHWB's campaign. 

What I see different from Reagan or even GWB more recently is the tone. The 'nationalism', and the lightly veiled racism as shown in immigration, reaction to Charlottesville, travel ban. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Donald "Law & Order" Trump just pardoned people who hoped to lead an armed insurrection against the United States.

f#&% this guy. They weren't treated harshly enough at the time.

They broke the law yet immigrants breaking the law just by wanting to be here get treated like dogs#!t.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Donald "Law & Order" Trump just pardoned people who hoped to lead an armed insurrection against the United States.

Weren't the people he pardoned in already in jail when the standoff happened?  I don't agree with the pardon, these men were convicted by a jury of peers.  But I don't remember them being part of the standoff, I think they even told the Bundy's to not drag their names into it.

Edit: Yeah, Jennifer Jacobs needs to dial it back a bit....I guess, technically, they did "clash with federal officials", but she makes it seem like they were part of the armed stand off.

14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Weren't the people he pardoned in already in jail when the standoff happened?  I don't agree with the pardon, these men were convicted by a jury of peers.  But I don't remember them being part of the standoff, I think they even told the Bundy's to not drag their names into it.

Edit: Yeah, Jennifer Jacobs needs to dial it back a bit....I guess, technically, they did "clash with federal officials", but she makes it seem like they were part of the armed stand off.

They purposely started wildfires during a drought to cover their tracks so I guess I don't care much if they were only the cause of the federal building takeover.

So.....just so I'm clear here.  It's OK to take your cattle to federal lands, let them graze, don't pay grazing fees, organize a militant revolt against the federal government and purposely burn federal land putting more property and lives in danger when they come to force you to leave.

And....it's NOT OK to hold protests in communities around the US where local police are shooting unarmed black people.

Just needing to confirm where we are at in this country.

• Plus1 4

Just one more bit of clarification.

The Republican party DEMANDS people support and respect law enforcement because...you know...Blue Lives Matter......well....unless you're being investigated by federal law enforcement as a member of a Republican administration or a rancher who illegally grazes federal lands and all your friends come to save you with their guns pointed at federal agents.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just one more bit of clarification.

The Republican party DEMANDS people support and respect law enforcement because...you know...Blue Lives Matter......well....unless you're being investigated by federal law enforcement as a member of a Republican administration or a rancher who illegally grazes federal lands and all your friends come to save you with their guns pointed at federal agents.

i.e. unless you're White. Reminder: "Strong borders, no crime."