The Republican Utopia

On 6/21/2018 at 4:58 AM, ZRod said:

I preferred Kasich over any other GOP candidate, but his actions as governor didn't seem to reflect his words on key social issues for me. That said, I could live with that over what we have now...

I preferred Kasich as well.  It is ironic...Kasich is the President we need, but Trump is the President we deserve.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As much as I don’t like this administration, this shouldn’t happen.  Be bigger than they are. 

Agree. I might be tempted to be mean but I probably never would, and I'd also not want it to be used as ammunition which this surely will. They're going to compare this to the wedding cake/gay couple thing.

I don't feel sorry for her. She was requested to leave because of her actions and lack of moral fiber. Not because of the color of her skin, her country of origin, he religious beliefs, her gender, or her sexuality. She is not an average citizen, and should not expect to be treated as such. Shut up and go hide in the bushes, unless you're going to reflect on the constant lies that come out of your mouth.

• Plus1 2

Living in America, with our robust Constitution which is a worldwide model for many, affords us a lot of freedoms.

Freedom of speech. Freedom of religion. Freedom of the press. Freedom to own a firearm. Freedom to elect our own leaders. Freedom of association. 

That last one doesn't get a lot of rub, but it's important. There are parts of the world where being a member of a certain group can get you persecuted, tortured, killed. For some perspective.

Every day, Sarah Huckabee Sanders chooses to go to her job as Press Secretary. And every day (less so recently, as she's been afraid to step up to the podium) she chooses to not be straight with what she tells to the American people - whether she's dodging tough questions or telling brazen outright lies - all in service of her boss, Donald Trump. Who himself hides from hard questions, blame shifts, and tells outright lies every single day.

The point is that in disgracing herself in the service of the President, she makes a choice. She makes it every single day,  and she could choose to end it every day too by tendering her resignation. But she doesn't. She chooses to go out there day in and day out to whatabout and spin and lie and collect her paycheck. 

Color me not empathetic to her plight. Like I said, the Constitution gives us lots of freedoms. But it cannot save us from the consequences of our own choices in how we exercise them.

• Plus1 3

Not sure where to put this but I laughed.

The actor and comedian said the incident took place at a Park City, Utah, summit hosted by Mitt Romney earlier this month where Rogen had been invited to speak. Rogen said he was first approached by Ryan's sons, who asked for a picture and then said their dad wanted to meet him.

"And then they said, 'Our dad wants to meet you,' and I turned around and Paul Ryan was walking towards me," Rogen recounted on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert." 

"My whole body, puckered, as it were, I tensed up, and I didn't know what to do," Rogen recalled.

Rogen said Ryan shook his hand, but when the Wisconsin Republican asked for a photo, Rogen replied: "No way, man!"

"And I couldn't stop, and I said, 'Furthermore, I hate what you're doing to the country at this point and I count the days until you no longer have one iota of the power that you currently have,'" Rogen told Colbert.

Rogen said he felt "very conflicted" after the outburst because Ryan's sons were "still standing right there."

"It's not their fault, but at the same time they should probably learn that if they like a movie or song, the person who made that probably doesn't like their dad that much," he said. 

"I don't know how I feel -- I'm glad I didn't take a picture with Paul Ryan," Rogen concluded.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Agree. I might be tempted to be mean but I probably never would, and I'd also not want it to be used as ammunition which this surely will. They're going to compare this to the wedding cake/gay couple thing.

Let them compare.

They got the ruling they wanted, this is what happens.

• Plus1 1