The Republican Utopia

33 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I suppose the bold depends on where we live, and who one associates with. Not all Republicans are right wing fanatics. Every single one of my Republican friends expressed their shock and disappointment with yesterday's event. 

It was estimated that there were 50,000+ outside the Capital when this started. All of them did not enter the Capital, and I am sure there are plenty of them that did not condone it. 

I will give you that 100% of them that were there still supported Trump when they arrived, but I would guess that number has gone down today. 

We will never know, unless they come out publicly condemning it.  However, interviews on TV of people mingling around didn't show anyone that didn't support what happened. AND....this was heavily discussed in social media within these groups leading up to yesterday.  So, I assume the majority of who showed up yesterday, knew that was being promoted as what to expect.

• Plus1 1

I think this is very true of the future of the republican party. They have to separate themselves from trumpism unequivocally or they're doomed.

Danforth calls his support of Hawley the 'worst mistake' of his life

Former U.S. Sen. John C. Danforth saw a mob of rioters take over the Senate chamber where he had spent much of his professional life. The dean of the Missouri Republican Party was a member of the Senate between 1976 and 1995.

“That place,” he said of the Senate, “is very familiar to me. To see it under attack was awful. It was unimaginable.”

Like the rest of the world, Danforth was shocked as rioters — some waving Confederate flags, all of them supporters of President Donald Trump who believed his lies that the election had been stolen from him — laid siege to the U.S. Capitol, stopping Congress in its tracks as it performed the generally pro forma process of recording the state-by-state Electoral College votes.

The process was anything but normal this year, however, because Sen. Josh Hawley, the junior senator from Missouri, followed by other senators and dozens of House members, decided to object to approval of the votes in a move that fed baseless conspiracy theories that the election was rigged. Before the insurrection against the Capitol, after Hawley, a Republican, had become the first senator to announce plans to seek to overturn the election of President-elect Joe Biden, Danforth criticized his protégé, a fellow Yale Law School graduate.

He called Hawley’s plan “radical” and dangerous.

Now, after the attack on the American election and the siege by rioters that left four people dead, Danforth has even stronger words.

Supporting Josh and trying so hard to get him elected to the Senate was the worst mistake I ever made in my life,” Danforth said in a phone interview Thursday afternoon. “Yesterday was the physical culmination of the long attempt (by Hawley and others) to foment a lack of public confidence in our democratic system. It is very dangerous to America to continue pushing this idea that government doesn’t work and that voting was fraudulent.”

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think this is very true of the future of the republican party. They have to separate themselves from trumpism unequivocally or they're doomed.

The interesting thing will be to see what happens to people like Cruz, Hawley, Graham and others who have fostered this. My guess is that their constituents will always think THEY aren't the problem.

Interesting that we haven't heard from Jim Jordan.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

A whole lot of "every man for himself" behavior on Capitol Hill. It's predictable, but a little late. We'll see how it goes with the rest of the Republican base. The continued rise, or fall of Hawley will be very telling.

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The interesting thing will be to see what happens to people like Cruz, Hawley, Graham and others who have fostered this. My guess is that their constituents will always think THEY aren't the problem.

Interesting that we haven't heard from Jim Jordan.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A whole lot of "every man for himself" behavior on Capitol Hill. It's predictable, but a little late. We'll see how it goes with the rest of the Republican base. The continued rise, or fall of Hawley will be very telling.

Agree with you both.

One of the most frustrating things for us regular folk is the lack of accountability for the elites. We'll see if this unprecedented assault on one of our most prized institutions finally jars something loose.

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's amazing how these disgusting people flip so fast trying to save their own a$$.

Actually there are many many Republicans that have been on record the past four years that have said they don’t like the way he tweets or talks, they would communicate differently, but the policy in question is supported. Just check video from CNN and MSBC on the daytime shows.  Every Republican that has been on the last four years get  that question on Trump’s rhetoric. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Actually there are many many Republicans that have been on record the past four years that have said they don’t like the way he tweets or talks, they would communicate differently, but the policy in question is supported. Just check video from CNN and MSBC on the daytime shows.  Every Republican that has been on the last four years get  that question on Trump’s rhetoric. 

I’m talking about people like Cruz.