The Republican Utopia

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I literally just said outside of those dummies and that legislation can make the SS early withdrawal illegal.  Takes that off the table. 

There lies the problem. This isn't a small subset of people, it would be millions of Americans who mismanage their retirement because of financial illiteracy. 

Social Security is responsible for the largest reduction in poverty rates in American history, those rates would certainly rise if the program were privatized. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

There lies the problem. This isn't a small subset of people, it would be millions of Americans who mismanage their retirement because of financial illiteracy. 

You keep moving past the concept of not even allowing people the option of early withdrawal for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Social Security is responsible for the largest reduction in poverty rates in American history, those rates would certainly rise if the program were privatized. 

Unless you can provide proof of this, it’s just an opinion by you and nothing more. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You keep moving past the concept of not even allowing people the option of early withdrawal for some reason. 

Unless you can provide proof of this, it’s just an opinion by you and nothing more. 

Literally millions of people borrow against their 401k, don't pay enough to get a full employer match or don't participate in their employers plans. This is just reality, I don't know what to tell you. 

People on average are terrible financial decision makers. Privatization of the funds would only be viable if participation was not optional and employees would not be able to access the funds until certain ages, just like Social Security now. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
9 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Literally millions of people borrow against their 401k, don't pay enough to get a full employer match or don't participate in their employers plans. This is just reality, I don't know what to tell you. 

I know it because literally I literally put in my literal first post.  What you literally don’t understand/haven’t read/glossed over, is that non making a new SS law that puts 2% into private investment, the law could state that money cannot be withdrawn early.  Like literally impossible.  

That money is also literally automatically taken out like it literally is today.  Absolutely no difference in how it’s done today except 2% goes to a different pocket instead of all going to the same pocket.  

So now that we literally have that cleared up, what is a valid objection beyond the initial payfor

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1