Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't have much to the already well thought out comments on this thread other than to enforce the notion that 1 of the QBs has to pan out big time to make this thing go and take this whole thing to the next level.

I would also point out that this year's WR crew appears to be, on paper at least, prlly the best group of WRs ever assembled @ NU at one time.

We land a blue chip RB or 2 in the near future and we're trending upward pretty good.

Oh, I'm also bullish on Langsdorf, he just needs to commit to the ground and pound more.

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

Yeah, I'm sure Beck wasn't offered the OC job at tOSU because he was so good. Simpler explanation is that Urbs wasn't impressed with him either.
Well, Urbs loved Herman--the "genius"--and Herman loves Beck, so that's all I know. I'm sure Beck is quite alright makin' the big $ @ Texas.

Yeah, he's doing okay in the pay department. I wasn't impressed with him while he was here but admittedly much of that may not have been of his own doing.

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

Yeah, I'm sure Beck wasn't offered the OC job at tOSU because he was so good. Simpler explanation is that Urbs wasn't impressed with him either.
Well, Urbs loved Herman--the "genius"--and Herman loves Beck, so that's all I know. I'm sure Beck is quite alright makin' the big $ @ Texas.
Yeah, he's doing okay in the pay department. I wasn't impressed with him while he was here but admittedly much of that may not have been of his own doing.

I think his NE Os average 40+/game and 9.5 Ws/year, by almost anybody's standards, that's good. Herman is the hot offensive guru, Beck is his man...@ Texas. Can't do much better than that.

I don't have much to the already well thought out comments on this thread other than to enforce the notion that 1 of the QBs has to pan out big time to make this thing go and take this whole thing to the next level.

I would also point out that this year's WR crew appears to be, on paper at least, prlly the best group of WRs ever assembled @ NU at one time.

We land a blue chip RB or 2 in the near future and we're trending upward pretty good.

Oh, I'm also bullish on Langsdorf, he just needs to commit to the ground and pound more.

brand new defense and only 1 proven running back and no experienced QB from last season........could be a long season for sure.

1st season, 6-7, and (according to 247sports.com) had the #24 class with 23 commits.

2nd season...9-4 and (according to 247sports.com) had the #23 class with 20 commits.

Definitely trending up. Last year, with all our struggles with injuries, lack of depth, etc, Nebraska managed to get to 7-0 and #8 in the polls. A close loss to Wisconsin in overtime and we were still at #10.

Then, well, we all know what happened.

Point is: This team can keep ascending that mountain, all it takes is the belief that they can do it.

• Fire 2

Did Meyer even trust Beck enough at OSU to allow him to call plays? I'm sure if Urban wanted Beck to stay he could have made it happen.

Did Meyer even trust Beck enough at OSU to allow him to call plays? I'm sure if Urban wanted Beck to stay he could have made it happen.
Not sure what exactly Beck did @ OSU, he was there, gettin paid, they won a lot of games. If he didn't have to call plays I'd say he was livin' pretty large, lol!

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward. I still have reservations about Riley and his ability to win a championship, but he's making the right moves, recruiting well and shoring up deficiencies on the coaching staff. My hope is he's at the point now where they can really make some headway in 2017, because 2018 is going to be here real fast.

At Michigan

At Wisconsin

At Ohio State

Michigan State

At Iowa

Not sure what exactly Beck did @ OSU, he was there, gettin paid, they won a lot of games. If he didn't have to call plays I'd say he was livin' pretty large, lol!

This summarizes some of what went down and how the fan base viewed Beck.

One of the more troubling lines of the article relates back to their shutout loss to Clemson in the CFP:

Beck admitted the Buckeyes get stuck in their tendencies, like, oh, I don't know, running J.T. Barrett all the time. He said the offense needs to find an identity. He said there were too many inconsistencies in the passing game.

You can't be struggling to find offensive identity at that point in the season - the playoffs. But, as we all know, identity has been a concern around here for sometime and was under Beck, as well.

I think his NE Os average 40+/game and 9.5 Ws/year, by almost anybody's standards, that's good. Herman is the hot offensive guru, Beck is his man...@ Texas. Can't do much better than that.

The bolded is important. Beck will not be calling the plays at Texas. Let's be honest here for a minute. Ohio State fans, players, and Meyer wanted Beck gone because of the regression of JT Barrett. Beck didn't even call the plays at Ohio State. Meyer dumped him off on Herman. Herman took Beck because he is very good at recruiting. Herman doesn't need anybody on staff to call plays because he's going to be doing that himself. Herman needs someone to restore relationships with Texas high school programs. This is where Beck comes into the picture. I have no doubt Beck will be successful at Texas, but make no mistake about it it's still Herman's offense and Herman's show.

• Fire 1

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward. I still have reservations about Riley and his ability to win a championship, but he's making the right moves, recruiting well and shoring up deficiencies on the coaching staff. My hope is he's at the point now where they can really make some headway in 2017, because 2018 is going to be here real fast.

At Michigan

At Wisconsin

At Ohio State

Michigan State

At Iowa

Whoa, brutal! BTW, why do we play some of those East teams twice or more consecutively--e.g. tOSU--and others once--e.g. IN?

The bolded is important. Beck will not be calling the plays at Texas. Let's be honest here for a minute. Ohio State fans, players, and Meyer wanted Beck gone because of the regression of JT Barrett. Beck didn't even call the plays at Ohio State. Meyer dumped him off on Herman. Herman took Beck because he is very good at recruiting. Herman doesn't need anybody on staff to call plays because he's going to be doing that himself. Herman needs someone to restore relationships with Texas high school programs. This is where Beck comes into the picture. I have no doubt Beck will be successful at Texas, but make no mistake about it it's still Herman's offense and Herman's show.

OMG, do you or anybody here have any hard documented facts to support this or is it just your opinion as to Beck's role @ OSU and TX. Sorry, I don't think you pay a guy 1/2 mil or 3/4 mil or 1 mil $ just to sit quietly in the booth and take notes or just recruit--we all know how "difficult" it is to recruit @ either school, right, thank god they have Tim f'ing Beck to shore up recruiting!

@ OSU his title was "OC Ass't", he was in the booth, which means the OC was prlly consulting him re playcalling in real time, live games. This wasn't a "school" for Tim Beck.

@ TX his title is "OC". Like, the guy. Again, Texas isn't going pay him a million smackers per just to sit on his ass in the booth or take notes in practice or fiddle around w, give pointers to QBs, or be a full time recruiter(otherwise they would call him a "recruiter"). My guess is he his The Guy primarily involved w COORDINATING the OFFENSE and calling plays, as per his title, in conjunction w consultation from Herman, who has plenty of other jobs on his plate. That's the way it usually goes.

Deal is w many Husker Fans is this sour grapes syndrome where "if we fire him he must be crap", but oh wait, a better program(s) hired him so sh#t that doesn't fit our narrative that he's crap.

Bo Pelini, BTW, took his YSU Fighting Penguins to the champ game, lost, but ended up 14-2 or so in year 2. Well, that didn't happen because we fired him so therefore he is crap.

Anyway, I'll look up, on the TX site, what is actually written re Beck's full responsibilites @ TX.