Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The inconsistency is below expectations for me. And some of the staff he compiled were bombs from the beginning. I like that he made staff changes, so that's a big plus. And as far as Riley's ability to be in tune with the fans, Husker tradition, how he handles the press, social media and recruiting, he's been pretty good.

The main thing he has to change next is the running game. I hate it and they have to open it up. But I'm not sure if that's on HCMR or OCDL, or combined. It's also a reason why they struggle to put up 26-30 points a game when it shouldn't be as hard as they make it out to be.

MR had said at least a few times this last season that he "gets it" and wants to pound the rock. But that just wasn't happening so well this season. First, we don't have an Ameer Abdullah and if you go back and look @ his "tape" he was on another level than the guys we have now. He left a big hole, on the order of ~700 extra O yds per.

Newby had a respectable year, nearly 900 yds, has talent and speed, but just can't make a lot happen on his own: namely, can't break tackles. Zig got hurt and Bryant looks good w hopefully some upside, but I'd be surprised if he gets to Ameer's level.

This is why I am worried that we kind of whiffed @ RB in the '17 class. No big disrepect to Bradly, but we're going to have to do a lot better than that.

the obsession with carrying around 5 QB'S instead of focusing on a damn good RB makes no sense to me.......but to Lang's all is probably well..........ugh!
You're absolutely right about that, sir, especially when 4 outta the 5 QBs nvr see the field.

This is NEBRASKA, it's the LAND, the earth, the ground and those in your face winds of November! Last time we had a stable of thoroughbred backs was the '95 team of the century and it was a thing of beauty to see back after back run roughshod over those STUPID Gators and their whiney ol' Ball Coach. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

I hate to say it, but last time I was real excited about an RB was Omaha's own Ahman Green and that kid was kickin' ass and takin' names right outta the shoot, givin' the #2 back in Husker history, LP(RIP) a run for his $.

Aw, the good ol' days. Since then, well Ameer was a joy to watch his last 2 yrs and Rex and Roy were pretty good too.

We're just starvin' for the next GREAT NU RB, starving!

The inconsistency is below expectations for me. And some of the staff he compiled were bombs from the beginning. I like that he made staff changes, so that's a big plus. And as far as Riley's ability to be in tune with the fans, Husker tradition, how he handles the press, social media and recruiting, he's been pretty good.

The main thing he has to change next is the running game. I hate it and they have to open it up. But I'm not sure if that's on HCMR or OCDL, or combined. It's also a reason why they struggle to put up 26-30 points a game when it shouldn't be as hard as they make it out to be.

MR had said at least a few times this last season that he "gets it" and wants to pound the rock. But that just wasn't happening so well this season. First, we don't have an Ameer Abdullah and if you go back and look @ his "tape" he was on another level than the guys we have now. He left a big hole, on the order of ~700 extra O yds per.

Newby had a respectable year, nearly 900 yds, has talent and speed, but just can't make a lot happen on his own: namely, can't break tackles. Zig got hurt and Bryant looks good w hopefully some upside, but I'd be surprised if he gets to Ameer's level.

This is why I am worried that we kind of whiffed @ RB in the '17 class. No big disrepect to Bradly, but we're going to have to do a lot better than that.

the obsession with carrying around 5 QB'S instead of focusing on a damn good RB makes no sense to me.......but to Lang's all is probably well..........ugh!
You're absolutely right about that, sir, especially when 4 outta the 5 QBs nvr see the field.

This is NEBRASKA, it's the LAND, the earth, the ground and those in your face winds of November! Last time we had a stable of thoroughbred backs was the '95 team of the century and it was a thing of beauty to see back after back run roughshod over those STUPID Gators and their whiney ol' Ball Coach. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

I hate to say it, but last time I was real excited about an RB was Omaha's own Ahman Green and that kid was kickin' ass and takin' names right outta the shoot, givin' the #2 back in Husker history, LP(RIP) a run for his $.

Aw, the good ol' days. Since then, well Ameer was a joy to watch his last 2 yrs and Rex and Roy were pretty good too.

Did we have a good QB in '95 or was it just the RBs that were great? I forgot...

We carry 5 QBs so we dont get into the same mess weve been in the last couple years. No depth behind the starter. We saw how well we did when Martinez and Armstrong went down. Even with Abdullah and Burkhead and Helu. Those guys are NFL RBs and we were still an average team. Why? Because the QB position was average.

And we are recruiting some top talent backs in '18. Just because we missed on them in '17 doesnt mean we werent recruiting them.

• Fire 1

I fully expect Ozigbo to be pretty damn good in 2017. Put me down for Ziggy having 1,000 next season.

Did we have a good QB in '95 or was it just the RBs that were great? I forgot...

We carry 5 QBs so we dont get into the same mess weve been in the last couple years. No depth behind the starter. We saw how well we did when Martinez and Armstrong went down. Even with Abdullah and Burkhead and Helu. Those guys are NFL RBs and we were still an average team. Why? Because the QB position was average.

And we are recruiting some top talent backs in '18. Just because we missed on them in '17 doesnt mean we werent recruiting them.

3 QB'S is plenty. without a doubt 1 or 2 of them will walk by end of the season, we have seen this movie before. and if we can't scout and find the best 3, what the hell do we do with 5 guys fighting for essentially 2 spots?

3 QB'S is plenty. without a doubt 1 or 2 of them will walk by end of the season, we have seen this movie before. and if we can't scout and find the best 3, what the hell do we do with 5 guys fighting for essentially 2 spots?
You should recruit a top QB every year. That is four right there. And then maybe a walk on or two. Most teams recruit at least one QB every cycle. More if there is natural attrition. Does the starter no good if there is nobody nipping at his heels for the starting job. The starter usually performs better if he knows someone is ready to take the reigns if he struggles.

1) '95? Both, and Frazier was as good a rusher as the RBs.

2) Ideally, you have 3-4 deep @ both positions with guys that can come in and play now w/o drop off--like, say, Bama. But few teams have that luxury and we certainly haven't had that for many moons. I'm ok w having the QBs, my point is that we're thin @ RB.

3) I hope we get them, the more the better.

I fully expect Ozigbo to be pretty damn good in 2017. Put me down for Ziggy having 1,000 next season.

My guess is Tre will clearly establish himself as the starter and be the 1000 yd guy. Zigbo #2, ground and pound guy, and under 1000. Wilbon prlly in the 3 spot.

I'm kind of in the middle with Beck. He's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be, but he's not nearly as good as some make him out to be.

His offenses at Nebraska were far from stellar, but they were probably good enough to save Bo's job for a few years while his defense struggled to carry its weight.

Certainly seemed like QB play regressed when he took over the QBs at Ohio State.

I guess we'll have to see what he does at Texas. It's probably the absolute possible best opportunity for him to succeed, working under Herman. Can't imagine that dude won't have heavy involvement in the offense.

Beck was absolute garbage at QB development. It became clear when we had to outsource TMart's development to Calhoun, and at that point I was OK with dumping Beck because he was never going to get us over the hump.

I voted for below expectations but turning it on. Either that or OK so far. I was hopeful Riley could come in and turn it on immediately but kind of doubted it with who we had on the roster when he took over. Honestly, as fun as TA was to watch and awesome as he could ball out, he was just too inconsistent as a passer to really take us to the next level.

This is where I've been at with Riley since last year went to crap. I decided to take the ole wait and see. This year was better but not good enough. IMO it's best to let him sink or swim now that he'll have full control over who's under center and they're all his guys.

The moves he made this offseason were indicative of a guy who cares and gets it. Can't wait for next fall. Brutal road schedule but lots of excitement. GBR!

• Fire 1

Beck was absolute garbage at QB development. It became clear when we had to outsource TMart's development to Calhoun, and at that point I was OK with dumping Beck because he was never going to get us over the hump.

I'm sure Beck must've been just "thrilled" to be tasked with making good ol' Taylor Martinez into a passer. That's like asking a sculptor to make a fine statue out of a lump of mud.

I'm sure Beck must've been just "thrilled" to be tasked with making good ol' Taylor Martinez into a passer. That's like asking a sculptor to make a fine statue out of a lump of mud.

He had other QBs who never developed too....like all of them

The %s look good, but your more pure pocket, pro style guys, a good one, will fling it for 3000+ on ave. Barrett is no pure pocket passer.

I don't know where you're getting this idea from, but you're wrong. First of all, the total amount of yards a quarterback throws for is just as if not more dependent on the play-calling style than it is on that quarterback's talent. You're telling me quarterbacks that aren't able to run end up throwing for more yards? Huh. What a crazy idea. Second, just because he was a tremendous athlete who could run in a spread system doesn't mean Barrett wasn't a great (pocket) passer, which he was. His freshman year passing efficiency was better than Jake Browning, the top pocket passing Heisman finalist quarterback this year, and are right around the numbers put up by Manziel and Winston.

Tim Beck is a garbage OC. He was garbage while at Nebraska and he was garbage at Ohio State.

At Nebraska, our offense regressed every single season. In September, we'd be around 450 yards of offense per game. By mid-November, we were averaging barely 300 (sometimes less) yards per game. Yards and points would slowly dwindle every single game.

A) Don't you think part of that has to do with the idea that we were playing Chattanooga and East Directional State Tech in September, and Michigan/Michigan State/Penn State in November?

This is such a ridiculous red herring argument. All serious quarterbacks get private offseason training including Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, etc. Are you claiming all of their coaches are garbage at development?

Todd Reesing says hello

• Fire 1

The %s look good, but your more pure pocket, pro style guys, a good one, will fling it for 3000+ on ave. Barrett is no pure pocket passer.

I don't know where you're getting this idea from, but you're wrong. First of all, the total amount of yards a quarterback throws for is just as if not more dependent on the play-calling style than it is on that quarterback's talent. You're telling me quarterbacks that aren't able to run end up throwing for more yards? Huh. What a crazy idea. Second, just because he was a tremendous athlete who could run in a spread system doesn't mean Barrett wasn't a great (pocket) passer, which he was. His freshman year passing efficiency was better than Jake Browning, the top pocket passing Heisman finalist quarterback this year, and are right around the numbers put up by Manziel and Winston.

Tim Beck is a garbage OC. He was garbage while at Nebraska and he was garbage at Ohio State.

At Nebraska, our offense regressed every single season. In September, we'd be around 450 yards of offense per game. By mid-November, we were averaging barely 300 (sometimes less) yards per game. Yards and points would slowly dwindle every single game.

A) Don't you think part of that has to do with the idea that we were playing Chattanooga and East Directional State Tech in September, and Michigan/Michigan State/Penn State in November?

This is such a ridiculous red herring argument. All serious quarterbacks get private offseason training including Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, etc. Are you claiming all of their coaches are garbage at development?

Todd Reesing says hello

He coached WR at Kansas not the QB.

• Fire 1

Well, yeah, they do. But after watching Martinez heave back and shot-put deep balls until he started getting tutelage from Calhoun, I have to question what Beck was actually teaching the kid during his first two years and why he didn't help improve Martinez's consistency as a passer?

We can get in the bushes having a conversation about whether OC's should try to tweak QBs mechanics or leave them alone, because that's a legit question.

TA remained very raw as a passer and never developed very much here under Beck either.

I'm just not big on Beck's abilities as a QB developer. FWIW you mentioned about the one guy that bucks the trend, and Reesing had only a one year data point under Beck.