Tim Miles Has Improved Huskers, Admin Should Look At Itself Before Denying Him Sixth Year (Barfknecht)

I guess I am not sure why that is surprising to you. We don't have deadly 3 pt shooters. Webster is streaky, McVeigh has been doing better though. Watson is probably the most consistant. They are good ball players, but these guys weren't getting offers from Duke, NC, and Kentucky. As I said I don't coach Bball I know some things, but I do know it works better when you got guys that can knock down shots consistantly. Wisconsin doesn't look real good when their outside guys are not hitting 3's, Happ just gets doubled and shut down.

I guess I don't get what you're arguing about then. Maybe we got off track when I thought you were someone else.

I'm not surprised at all. What we are seeing now is largely what we've seen for the last three years. We do some things well. We have some things we don't do well. Is that "improvement"? I think it's a mixed bag. Some people like to focus on the things that have improved and assume the other areas will also improve. I'm not as convinced.

Bottom line is we are not good at a lot of things as our statistical ranks in the conference show. As for the eye test, there are good things to look at but our offense overall fails the eye test for me. And we're going to have to hurry to avoid a third straight losing season. I don't think that speaks really highly of much "improvement."

I guess I am not sure why that is surprising to you. We don't have deadly 3 pt shooters. Webster is streaky, McVeigh has been doing better though. Watson is probably the most consistant. They are good ball players, but these guys weren't getting offers from Duke, NC, and Kentucky. As I said I don't coach Bball I know some things, but I do know it works better when you got guys that can knock down shots consistantly. Wisconsin doesn't look real good when their outside guys are not hitting 3's, Happ just gets doubled and shut down.

I guess I don't get what you're arguing about then. Maybe we got off track when I thought you were someone else.

I'm not surprised at all. What we are seeing now is largely what we've seen for the last three years. We do some things well. We have some things we don't do well. Is that "improvement"? I think it's a mixed bag. Some people like to focus on the things that have improved and assume the other areas will also improve. I'm not as convinced.

Bottom line is we are not good at a lot of things as our statistical ranks in the conference show. As for the eye test, there are good things to look at but our offense overall fails the eye test for me. And we're going to have to hurry to avoid a third straight losing season. I don't think that speaks really highly of much "improvement."

Not really an argument. It just comes back to the way we look at things. You analyze everything statistically, I don't. Statistically we don't look a ton better than last year, but eye test wise we look a lot better IMO. The W-L record isn't all that great right now, but most were not even expecting this good. Losing Morrow at the juncture that he was lost hurt bad, and you know it. At least 2 maybe 3 of those losses are wins and they are talking about NU as a bubble team.

Not really an argument. It just comes back to the way we look at things. You analyze everything statistically, I don't. Statistically we don't look a ton better than last year, but eye test wise we look a lot better IMO. The W-L record isn't all that great right now, but most were not even expecting this good. Losing Morrow at the juncture that he was lost hurt bad, and you know it. At least 2 maybe 3 of those losses are wins and they are talking about NU as a bubble team.

Fair enough.

I like statistics because they are objective. Pretty easy when you want things to be better to embellish the positive and diminish the negative. But to each his own.

FWIW, in this conversion, I've said very little about statistics.

Not a great showing on the heels of all the hot seat talk....

No it wasn't, I didn't expect a win. I was expecting MSU to come out on fire. They are playing for their tournament life right now and this was a game they just couldn't lose.

Kind of like us.

We just need to win out the regular season and take one more in the B1G ten tourney to make the NIT. With our sos do you feel we need a winning record to make the NIT or a .500 record Mav?

Not a great showing on the heels of all the hot seat talk....

No it wasn't, I didn't expect a win. I was expecting MSU to come out on fire. They are playing for their tournament life right now and this was a game they just couldn't lose.

Kind of like us.

We just need to win out the regular season and take one more in the B1G ten tourney to make the NIT. With our sos do you feel we need a winning record to make the NIT or a .500 record Mav?

I'm not Mav but were not making the NIT no matter what IMO. Not enough quality wins compared to the losses and we're too far off the radar at this point.

Not to be negative as I prefer to find the positives when I can but frankly the Nebraska men's basketball discussions over fire the coach - hire a new coach, etc etc. read and sound the same as they have for about 50 years. We don't need to fire Miles and hire XXX coach or YYY coach as the outcomes will be the same, basically. Nebraska is NOT a basketball school for whatever reasons and never has been or will be. The names have changed but the product remains the same. Nothing of much significance has since Slippery Joe Cipriano was screaming from the courtside so long long ago. It would have been the same for all the prior coaches. Nebraska never won a championship and never will, absent a "miracle on ice" kind of moment when all the planets and stars align in some mystical pattern for a brief moment.

Miles is as good a coach as any we've had, perhaps with exception of Moe Iba (my personal choice as Nebrasaka's 'best' coach). His teams were smart, disciplined, careful and deliberate and we seemed competitive with almost anyone and rarely lost by double digit points, even to mighty Kansas, etc. He recruited well "for Nebraska". But, in the end, we weren't a conference champion EVER. I seriously don't think we ever will be. The Gods just didn't include us in the blessed list when it comes to winning on the hardwood. I would rather we keep our coach and given him another 5 years as I would think we could reduce his salary a hundred grand a year and he'd be happy to stay and know he was employed.

We need to put our eggs back in the football basket as football ticket sales, etc are 'ify' enough already. No need to split or divide the limited fan base anymore. In my view, we didn't need the new arena for the same basic reasons. A new arena is not going to make a difference and after this long it is not making any difference. We are still mediocre or less in men's basketball. Period.

It is not inconceivable that a mega splash hire of a coach (an NBA legend or some KU or Duke or Tarheels or something of that level) could be magnetic enough to pull in the top ten caliber players quickly enough but it's not going to happen. The only way possible for Nebraska to seriously become nationally relevant in BB would be for home grown, local superstar to join the team. The next Larry Bird or Jordon or Kareem or James has got to grow up on the streets of Lincoln or Omaha or otherwise have some deep ties or connections. About the same chances as winning the lottery I'd say.

Not to be negative as I prefer to find the positives when I can but frankly the Nebraska men's basketball discussions over fire the coach - hire a new coach, etc etc. read and sound the same as they have for about 50 years. We don't need to fire Miles and hire XXX coach or YYY coach as the outcomes will be the same, basically. Nebraska is NOT a basketball school for whatever reasons and never has been or will be. The names have changed but the product remains the same. Nothing of much significance has since Slippery Joe Cipriano was screaming from the courtside so long long ago. It would have been the same for all the prior coaches. Nebraska never won a championship and never will, absent a "miracle on ice" kind of moment when all the planets and stars align in some mystical pattern for a brief moment.

Miles is as good a coach as any we've had, perhaps with exception of Moe Iba (my personal choice as Nebrasaka's 'best' coach). His teams were smart, disciplined, careful and deliberate and we seemed competitive with almost anyone and rarely lost by double digit points, even to mighty Kansas, etc. He recruited well "for Nebraska". But, in the end, we weren't a conference champion EVER. I seriously don't think we ever will be. The Gods just didn't include us in the blessed list when it comes to winning on the hardwood. I would rather we keep our coach and given him another 5 years as I would think we could reduce his salary a hundred grand a year and he'd be happy to stay and know he was employed.

We need to put our eggs back in the football basket as football ticket sales, etc are 'ify' enough already. No need to split or divide the limited fan base anymore. In my view, we didn't need the new arena for the same basic reasons. A new arena is not going to make a difference and after this long it is not making any difference. We are still mediocre or less in men's basketball. Period.

It is not inconceivable that a mega splash hire of a coach (an NBA legend or some KU or Duke or Tarheels or something of that level) could be magnetic enough to pull in the top ten caliber players quickly enough but it's not going to happen. The only way possible for Nebraska to seriously become nationally relevant in BB would be for home grown, local superstar to join the team. The next Larry Bird or Jordon or Kareem or James has got to grow up on the streets of Lincoln or Omaha or otherwise have some deep ties or connections. About the same chances as winning the lottery I'd say.

This isnt true

• Fire 2

Attitudes like this are part of the reason why Nebrasketball isn't a success.

• Fire 1