Is the team progressing

hucksker

The jury is still out on Miles - the positive is he has brought in young talent over the past couple years / negative is the results on the court have been far from great.

He did not get a contract extension last year and he won't again this year.

The only purpose for an extended contract is: help protect coach from going elsewhere and letting potential recruits know that the staff-program are stable. Neither of these two were effected by the non extension of the contract last year and this next class is small so no issue again.

Miles should get another year to see if the on court product can improve as the young kids get older and the transfers/injured become available.

Unless a 5* coach wants to come to Lincoln before next season begins there will be no coaching change and us fans will be left needing to be patient.

This is what I think will be interesting. I really don't know how you can not do anything after this year. If he doesn't get any extension, there will be much hand-wringing that he's being handicapped in recruiting and not getting the support he needs. If you're not going to give him one at this point, he pretty much has to be fired.

It's possible that he could be given a one-year extension so he'd basically be where he is now but even that is a bit short of the norm. But if you give him a one-year extension after how this season is turning out only to have to fire him next year, that doesn't look like a smart decision either.

I thought when he didn't get one last year he'd either be fired or given a two-year extension after this year to get him back to the usual. That's looking like a pretty interesting decision at this point.

It makes me think this might be a big part of the solution - I mean just look how much better we looked offensively when we still had Craig Smith.

Perhaps we should fire Miles and hire Smith???

2. Many Nebraska hoops fans lamented the loss of assistant coach Craig Smith when he was hired as South Dakota's head coach in March of 2014 -- soon after the Huskers' stunning run to an NCAA Tournament bid.

Those Husker fans were right. It seems Smith knows what he's doing.

South Dakota landed the Summit League Tournament's No. 1 seed by capturing the outright regular-season crown this past weekend (click here for story). The Coyotes have won six straight games and defeated their opening-round tourney opponent (eighth-seeded Western Illinois) on the road less than a week ago.

The Summit League Tournament champion gets an automatic NCAA Tournament berth.

LJS

It makes me think this might be a big part of the solution - I mean just look how much better we looked offensively when we still had Craig Smith.

2. Many Nebraska hoops fans lamented the loss of assistant coach Craig Smith when he was hired as South Dakota's head coach in March of 2014 -- soon after the Huskers' stunning run to an NCAA Tournament bid.

South Dakota landed the Summit League Tournament's No. 1 seed by capturing the outright regular-season crown this past weekend (click here for story). The Coyotes have won six straight games and defeated their opening-round tourney opponent (eighth-seeded Western Illinois) on the road less than a week ago.

LJS

How does he feel about an assistant coaching role?

In all seriousness though, the guy clearly knows what he's doing. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get an offer at a mid-major in the near future, especially if SD makes the tournament and surprises some people.

Unfortunately, much like football, I think we've used up all our allotted "this guy could be good" coaches. The next coach absolutely has to be able to prove they can win.

LJS

In all seriousness though, the guy clearly knows what he's doing. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get an offer at a mid-major in the near future, especially if SD makes the tournament and surprises some people.

How does who feel about an assistant coaching role? Smith?

LJS

Yea, I was joking since he was a former asst here

LJS

Yea, I was joking since he was a former asst here

Didn't catch that the first time I read it. I've been out of the game for a while.

This is what I think will be interesting. I really don't know how you can not do anything after this year. If he doesn't get any extension, there will be much hand-wringing that he's being handicapped in recruiting and not getting the support he needs. If you're not going to give him one at this point, he pretty much has to be fired.

It's possible that he could be given a one-year extension so he'd basically be where he is now but even that is a bit short of the norm. But if you give him a one-year extension after how this season is turning out only to have to fire him next year, that doesn't look like a smart decision either.

I thought when he didn't get one last year he'd either be fired or given a two-year extension after this year to get him back to the usual. That's looking like a pretty interesting decision at this point.

Don't we only sign 1 player in the next class?

Technically yes but the transfer from Georgetown makes it more like 2

Tim Miles has had 1 good month in 5 years of coaching at Nebraska. We are not better.

When you think about it...this is so true.

1 good month and being really "likable"

I know some people are excited for next year but they might really struggle with only Watson being able to drive to the hoop.

I still don't know why Miles won't press and run.

Its always "next year" with Miles is it not?

Hey...as a Cubs fan, I can totally relate to this.....oh.....wait.......

Technically yes but the transfer from Georgetown makes it more like 2

We still are in on a 4-Star point guard for 2017 (Didn't commit anywhere on signing day).

We technically are full in terms of scholarships, but both OWH and LJS writers have alluded to the fact that there is a high chance of one more becoming available.

(Nick Fuller leaving as a graduate transfer -- mutual decision)

The team has not progressed since last year, in fact we may be worse this year for whatever reason. Can Tim beat a Michigan team or will it be same old thing against them, and CU beating you every year is unacceptable, with Maurice Watson gone we should be able to beat them at least once.

In case Miles is canned here are some coaches that could be interested or are available

Fred Hoiberg- pipe dream to say the least have to wait what bulls do on him

Archie Miller- another long shot here, lost to Miles, but if he had coached Nu bball this year we would be in the tournament

Craig Smith- former coach under Miles, only reason we hire him is if Eichorst is convinced Smith is the reason we made the tourney in 2014.

Mark Gottfried- unemployed at the moment and would probably be a big hire for this program. He knows basketball and has made the tournament plenty of times. Has made the sweet 16 twice and has surprised people with how much he gets out of his players- also made the elite eight once. I assume he is a great recruiter and has some ties on the west and east coast and some in the midwest. Might be able to bring this team to the tourney in year one with the talent we have, but with all transitions it might take time.

Hoiberg is not coming to Nebraska. He left his alma mater with 5 starters returning after a run in the NCAA tourney to go to the NBA. He's not coming back to college ball to cater/supervise 17-23 year old kids.

Nebraska has been a doormat for many years in basketball, lets give a guy with a team full of freshman and sophomores a fighting chance. Or we could fire him and 3-4 key players transfer leaving us with nothing and starting over....again. Then in 5 years fire the new guy because he didn't win fast enough and keep this cycle rolling. Let's put the video game down and ride this one out for a couple years.

• Fire 1

Hoiberg is not coming to Nebraska. He left his alma mater with 5 starters returning after a run in the NCAA tourney to go to the NBA. He's not coming back to college ball to cater/supervise 17-23 year old kids.

Nebraska has been a doormat for many years in basketball, lets give a guy with a team full of freshman and sophomores a fighting chance. Or we could fire him and 3-4 key players transfer leaving us with nothing and starting over....again. Then in 5 years fire the new guy because he didn't win fast enough and keep this cycle rolling. Let's put the video game down and ride this one out for a couple years.

I wouldn't count out Hoiberg returning to college. Especially the way his star players treated him in Chicago.