Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, were there any defenders?

They are (usually) going against a defense - either 7-on-7 or 11-on-11 - but it sounds like there aren't many surprises as far as the coverage they are seeing. Basically the QBs know we'll be in our base defense so they have a decent idea what they're getting before the snap.

They are (usually) going against a defense - either 7-on-7 or 11-on-11 - but it sounds like there aren't many surprises as far as the coverage they are seeing. Basically the QBs know we'll be in our base defense so they have a decent idea what they're getting before the snap.

It's still pretty impressive, they through a lot of balls everyday at practice, and for them to put the ball in a catchable place time and time again. I honestly don't think we had a guy like that on the roster since Ganz or Taylor

It's still pretty impressive, they through a lot of balls everyday at practice, and for them to put the ball in a catchable place time and time again. I honestly don't think we had a guy like that on the roster since Ganz or Taylor

That will definitely be nice to see. The last eight years have been frustrating in that regard.

Prevailing sentiment says Tulane transfer Tanner Lee is the favorite to win the starting quarterback job. Does redshirt freshman Patrick O'Brien have any noticeable advantages?

Lee is the more pure passer of the two, with a gorgeous (and quick) release -- yes, as advertised. But O'Brien is more athletic. In fact, several onlookers Saturday noticed that Lee clearly is more comfortable in the pocket than he is rolling out and throwing. He looked a bit awkward and his roll-out passes tended to float.

LJS

Lee — strong armed and generally accurate — was not a surprise. O’Brien has taken a nice leap since fall camp, though. Some within the program think Lee would have been the starter last season had he been eligible, but he was sitting out because of his transfer from Tulane. O’Brien didn’t have to sit out. Did Langsdorf, in hindsight, regret not giving him more of a chance?

“I don’t think he was ready,” Langsdorf said. “I think he needed that redshirt year. I think he’s made big strides, even since January. I don’t think he was ready to play, and I think he knows that. But he is now. He looks good.”

Langsdorf is right. O’Brien looks sharper than a lot of young quarterbacks I’ve seen roll through here. He didn’t hesitate much in his reads and, unlike Lee — who can occasionally bring that motion down to a quicker sidearm — O’Brien consistently stuck his ground in the pocket.

OWH

I personally just am looking forward to seeing a screen pass that is thrown where it is supposed to be. After the last 8 years of watching Martinez and Armstrong it will be a pleasant change.

True that. I will miss our RPO's in the quick game/ QB draw. That was pretty nasty with either working the moition to a 3x1 and taking the box look. But our quick game and screen game should make up for that.

I personally just am looking forward to seeing a screen pass that is thrown where it is supposed to be. After the last 8 years of watching Martinez and Armstrong it will be a pleasant change.

True that. I will miss our RPO's in the quick game/ QB draw. That was pretty nasty with either working the moition to a 3x1 and taking the box look. But our quick game and screen game should make up for that.

I do think that if POB gets the nod he is athletic enough for this to still be a weapon for the offense. IF our passing game is much improved and it forces LB's to get out of the box and they aren't able to spy the QB POB is athletic enough to make the QB draw lethal

If set up correctly by forcing the defense to defend everything else, I'm a firm believer that the vast majority of college QBs can make the QB draw very effective. It's a play set up more by the circumstances around the play than the actual athletic ability of the QB. Now, a QB with the athleticism of Armstrong can turn that draw into a 20 yard gain when Lee's draw is a 10 yard gain. But, that doesn't mean the play isn't very effective.