DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting retweet.  I'm growing more and more shocked that Trump is keeping Kellyanne Conway around when her husband is so publicly outspoken against him.  Makes me think that he can't fire Kellyanne because she knows too much.  He can't risk pissing her off.

I would like to be a fly on the wall in that house - pretty interesting conversation.  Kind of reminds me of this couple

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ouch....

The reason makes no sense.

This order was in part because Rice feared the options would leak and “box the president in.”

Why would they not at the very least have done the clandestine stuff he mentioned? Russia's secretly doing s#!t, why the hell would we not secretly do s#!t to fight back? They were fools if they were worried defending us against it would start a cyber war. The war was already started. Not fighting Russia on it tells them to keep doing what they're doing.

I feel like China and Russia let young smart computer people work for them while we lag behind letting a bunch of old lawyers and political science majors decide what to do about hacking. I think we're going to continue to lag behind in this. I think we're ignoring what's biting our ankles because our military is so powerful which makes us feel invulnerable.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I feel like China and Russia let young smart computer people work for them while we lag behind letting a bunch of old lawyers and political science majors decide what to do about hacking. I think we're going to continue to lag behind in this. I think we're ignoring what's biting our ankles because our military is so powerful which makes us feel invulnerable.

I don't think its a case of "let" but we have these capabilities and people in the CIA/NSA.  The difference is, what do you really do that isn't a full blown act of war?  You can't really effectively pump propaganda into their country, they are state media.  They already stuff their own ballot boxes so what would messing with their elections do?  You could support their anti-putin activists, but they'd just end up dead anyways, and you'd just give them evidence for any claims that they are working for the west.  There isn't really a great "tit for tat" and as you use your capabilities you'd start to lose them.

4 minutes ago, methodical said:

I don't think its a case of "let" but you we have these capabilities and people in the CIA/NSA.  The difference is, what do you really do that isn't a full blown act of war?  You can't really effectively pump propaganda into their country, they are state media.  They already stuff their own ballot boxes so what would messing with their elections do?  You could support their anti-putin activists, but they'd just end up dead anyways, and you'd just give them evidence for any claims that they are working for the west.  There isn't really a great "tit for tat" and as you use your capabilities you'd start to lose them.

That's not really what I meant. I'm guessing we already do some of that kind of thing. From what I read in the linked article, we stopped maximizing efforts to defend ourselves against what they were doing.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

That's not really what I meant. I'm guessing we already do some of that kind of thing. From what I read in the linked article, we stopped maximizing efforts to defend ourselves against what they were doing.

That's not what I got from it.  They said "deterrence measures", not defensive.  There isn't really a defense, outside of notifying private industry about bugs that allow their products to be compromised, and getting ISPs to take compromised equipment offline until it's patched.  Defense is a national game of whack-a-mole and not something that can be done internet-wide.