Worst Case Scenario

Worst Case Scenario

Usually ESPN does one of these closer to when the season starts. I thought I would do one now.

Nebraska defeats Arkansas St in its opener but not by on overwhelming margin. Internet coaches spin problems with new personnel, new defense, new coaches, etc. People pointing out that it was Arkansas St are attacked as Debbie Downers and not being true fans.

Nebraska loses to Oregon. Late in the second quarter QB TL wobbles like a weeble toward the sideline when the pass pro breaks down and tears both hamstrings. QB POB replaces TL but is largely ineffective. Internet coaches spin his lack of performance to a lack of reps in practice the week before. Overheard in the locker room is “Geez, I thought you had to run fast to tear a hammy”. Monday it is announced Lee is out at least six weeks and QB POB is the starter. Internet Coaches say “It’s about time. He should have been the starter all along.”

Nebraska wins the next three games but it is clear to even the internet coaches that performance level is dwindling. The win over hapless Illinois only happens because of a late fourth quarter punt return for a TD. The internet coaches laud the new way of handling special teams. Saying they are certain the new coaches will spark a turn around.

On Monday before the Wisconsin it is announced the QB TG will start. Internet coaches celebrate. Saying the bold move will certainly pay off with new enthusiasm and commitment to excellence and he should have been starting since day one.

On Friday a raging blizzard rolls into Lincoln, dropping an inch of snow per hour. A foot of snow is on the ground by midnight. It continues to snow. The kickoff is delayed an hour to complete clearing the field. Official timeouts are take once a quarter to allow equipment to clear enough of the field to see the sidelines. Only about 10,000 fans make it to game because of travel conditions including 5,000 drunken students who show up in the middle of the first quarter even with the game starting an hour late. Heard from a Badger player getting off the bus at the stadium, “Uff dah, this is Big Ten weather.” Wisconsin controls the clock, runs 75 plays, 74 runs and one pass, (on the last play of the first half), never punts, and wins 12-0. Nebraska never punts either but each of its five possessions end with a turnover, two fumbles, two interceptions, and a safety. After two running attempts into the middle of the Badger’s defense, OCDL declares the running game not working and goes to the Ultimate Frisbee mode.

When the airport reopens on Monday afternoon the Calibraska portion of the Nebraska roster is on a plane headed for sunny SoCal. Internet coaches denounce them as traitors and flood their twitter and facebook accounts

On Tuesday it is leaked the through a computer glitch, 250 tickets returned by Wisconsin were never offered for sale and the sellout streak is over. Huskerboard melts down, servers overload, and the internet crashes. Its three days before the board is able to function again.

Losses to Northwestern, Ohio St, Penn St, and Iowa follow. At the end of the year HCMR fires two offensive assistants. The internet coaches say it’s about time HCMR got rid of the dead weight and cheer the new hires. Certain the new energy, enthusiasm, recruiting skills will be just what the team needs to have a break out year in 2018.

• Fire 1

I was gonna go with Tanner Lee looking as good or better than advertised in the first half against Arkansas State, backed by a revitalized and efficient running game. Then in the second half, a rogue asteroid wipes out life on earth.

in your scenario we are spared the huskerboard meltdown......

• Fire 1

I was gonna go with Tanner Lee looking as good or better than advertised in the first half against Arkansas State, backed by a revitalized and efficient running game. Then in the second half, a rogue asteroid wipes out life on earth.

If we all die instantly we don't even have to be sad about everyone dying, so I don't see that as being all that bad.

If we all die instantly we don't even have to be sad about everyone dying, so I don't see that as being all that bad.

How about if everyone dies, except the debbie downers...then they can flip flop between "the true fans would never die" and "I knew we'd suck and end up being the only ones alive, I just knew it!"

• Fire 1

With a new defense and the complications that come with that....

... a new style of quarterback plus replacing a ton of play making studs and teaching the line to block for a guy who stands in the pocket......

... a new special teams strategy and a manner of implementation that hasn't really been tried. i.e. most teams have a special teams coordinator

well, let's just say worst case talk and imaginations of troubles and disappointments... that's easy.

How about a thread that talks about the best case scenario and gives us all reason for hope? I could use one.