State of the program - Spring 2017

Redux

Program is definitely trending up in almost every area you could think of, which is very encouraging. But make no mistake - we are not there yet. We are not a championship caliber football team. We won't be this year.

Except for actually playing good football on offense, or defense, or special teams, in any improving capacity.

:troll:

Cool post, first I am not a troll. Do you want me to go down the list a factual evidence of what has actually happened? Everyone can have their own opinion of this program rise but until there is actual statical and on the field evidence is yet to be proven. Remeber Riley's "good seasons" are outliers for him. That is all I am saying. Yes I do disagree with most of the sunshine pumpers on here, I like facts better then hope.

• Fire 2

Every Husker coach since Devaney has either won or played for a conference championship by his third year. Even Callahan managed that mark. If Riley can't do that, I'd probably consider it a major failure....

For those of you saying we HAVE to make the ccg this year....what if we go 11-1 and our only loss is to Wisconsin who goes 12-0?

...but playing in a major bowl (which we haven't done since 2001) would do a lot to placate me.

The on field results have not yet bore out any major improvement over the last decade and a half. Nobody is questioning that. But we also haven't seen this level of commitment to behaving like the big boys, this level of coaching staff pedigree, or this level of optimism towards recruiting either from the perspective of the coaches or the recruits since the very early 2000's. And 2016 was a much better year than 2015 results wise.

You can enjoy the ride while simultaneously not being content with where you are.

• Fire 2

Program is definitely trending up in almost every area you could think of, which is very encouraging. But make no mistake - we are not there yet. We are not a championship caliber football team. We won't be this year.

Except for actually playing good football on offense, or defense, or special teams, in any improving capacity.

:troll:
He's hyperbolic, but not entirely wrong. All the "feel good" about the program is almost entirely cemented in recruiting. The on the field product isn't measurably better than it has been for the last 16 years, and the hype for 2017 right now is entirely based on potential and hope.

I wouldn't say it's all recruiting. I feel good about Diaco. It's also worth noting, that you more or less have to look at recruiting to feel good about the future. As good as coaches might be, almost all the data says you don't take mediocre recruiting and turn it into big game wins. The system takes time to play out.

I should have clarified by saying that the fact based "feel good" is about recruiting. I mean, most (all?) of us think Diaco is an upgrade, but we haven't seen it on the field yet, so it still falls under the potential and hope banner.

That's a tough list to look at in regards to the older recruits. Aaron Green transferred, Jamal Turner didn't have what I would consider a significant impact, Charles Jackson had knee problems and left the team, and Bubba Starling went to baseball.

Newby is about the only bright spot on there right now.

It's hard for me to draw any significant conclusions from those lists because I don't know what other programs (who recruit similarly to us) face in terms of highly-touted recruit performances/turnover.

What I take from that list is the fact that we are recruiting more quantity of highly rated players in 2015, 2016, 2017...and so far 2018 than we did in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

From there it's a numbers game. Unfortunately, the luck we have had with highly rated players hasn't been good between 2011 and 2014. Let's hope with higher numbers of highly rated players, we have some that reach their potential.

These guys might have been misses, but coaching and development is important too.

Actually there is room to be optimistic based on 2015 and later. Eric Lee and Lamer Jackson looked posed for significant playing time. The 2017 recruits will be true freshman and haven't even seen the field yet except for some early enrollment. The 2018 class while small looks very promising. I hope Raridon sees playing time. The O Line and coach Cav are my biggest concerns moving into the fall.