Randy Gregory

I personally feel that any player that can make an NFL team while on performance dehancing drugs should get to play.  If you're stoned, drunk, hung over, whatever, and can out play the field, you should get a shot and other players should thank you for not making them look as bad.  I agree with the ban on performance enhancing drugs.

Edited by InOmaha

Vector, quite possibly as ignorant as you say.

I did not attend college, but am now at 70 years old

My opinions are off of real life experiences, not some test or study.

Can you confirm that he has a prescription for Medical marijuana?  Can you confirm he was on medication for depression prior to his use of MJ?  Stating it is well documented does not really tell us the story.  What it says to me, my opinion, is that Nebraska continually tried to protect him, and get him to the NFL.   

I have dealt with this stuff for many years, a Lifer in the Marine Corps.   I have owned 5 businesses that I started, built and sold.  Have had hundreds of employees with these claimed problems.  Used to see it daily.  Still see some "sick ones" dangling on 200 foot towers, that I build.   Licensed/certified climbers that need it to do their job is the story.   Three weeks ago I had to have helicopter brought to a site to get a Medical marijuana impaired climber down.  Do you have any idea what that cost me?   It is a need, a want, a high, an excuse.  And of course his use of medical marijuana was not listed in his health screen.  He would not have been hired if it had been, trust me.   It is now being sold as a medicine to escape the laws about it.  

I live in the mountains of SoCal, 20 acre plots, at least 5 of these plots around me are grow locations.  Which are totally illegal, but the Riverside County Sheriff will not do anything about them.   I have a rental property turned into a grow house.  Over 200K done in damage.  The only thing they could be charged with was eliminating the electrical meter.  A felony, but destroying my property  had no bearing.  There are over 1500 illegal grow houses in the Sacramento area.  All for medical MJ .  Recreational use sale becomes legal in this state soon.

There is a Medical Office in Hemet, that you walk in the door, and hundreds do, that they will write a prescription for you on site and sell you the product you need.  Then they stumble out the door and hang around businesses and actually drive customers away.  Nothing is done about it.

Now if you can provide me with a history that Randy was seeing a doctor using prescription drugs before he was using POT.  Then I would consider it a fact.  But you are just repeating what you have been told.  I know Randy missed quite a few games at Nebraska, and it was mentioned he was using MJ.  Never saw proof of that to be fair.

I grew up with an alcoholic father and mother in East Omaha, and several drunk/druggie live in boyfriends that my mother drug home.  Life was not the greatest,  but I learned very young, that 99% of the time you choose your route.  You control what you want to be, how you get there.  And again, thank you Grand Pa, god rest your soul.  Makes you a little different.  I have never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or done any other type of drugs.  Because I chose not to.  So I know you can come from a bad situation and not be dependent on something to escape.

I have close friends that use it.  But they all seem to be  honest about it.  They like how they feel when they use it.

Everything now seems to have an excuse, it is never the fault of the killer, the rapist, the drug dealer.  Something from their past is always the reason.  Daddy hit me,  mommy didn't feed me.  The teacher was mean to me, girls were mean to me, I am depressed, I have Red hair, what ever it takes.  Legal defense.   

• Plus1 8
1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

I personally feel that any player that can make an NFL team while on performance dehancing drugs should get to play.  If you're stoned, drunk, hung over, whatever, and can out play the field, you should get a shot and other players should thank you for not making them look as bad.  I agree with the ban on performance enhancing drugs.

Hell, Kenny Stabler was a drunk, and he's in the HoF. 

Just now, skersfan said:

Vector, quite possibly as ignorant as you say.

I did not attend college, but am now at 70 years old

My opinions are off of real life experiences, not some test or study.

Can you confirm that he has a prescription for Medical marijuana?  Can you confirm he was on medication for depression prior to his use of MJ?  Stating it is well documented does not really tell us the story.  What it says to me, my opinion, is that Nebraska continually tried to protect him, and get him to the NFL.   

I have dealt with this stuff for many years, a Lifer in the Marine Corps.   I have owned 5 businesses that I started, built and sold.  Have had hundreds of employees with these claimed problems.  Used to see it daily.  Still see some "sick ones" dangling on 200 foot towers, that I build.   Licensed/certified climbers that need it to do their job is the story.   Three weeks ago I had to have helicopter brought to a site to get a Medical marijuana impaired climber down.  Do you have any idea what that cost me?   It is a need, a want, a high, an excuse.  And of course his use of medical marijuana was not listed in his health screen.  He would not have been hired if it had been, trust me.   It is now being sold as a medicine to escape the laws about it.  

I live in the mountains of SoCal, 20 acre plots, at least 5 of these plots around me are grow locations.  Which are totally illegal, but the Riverside County Sheriff will not do anything about them.   I have a rental property turned into a grow house.  Over 200K done in damage.  The only thing they could be charged with was eliminating the electrical meter.  A felony, but destroying my property  had no bearing.  There are over 1500 illegal grow houses in the Sacramento area.  All for medical MJ .  Recreational use sale becomes legal in this state soon.

There is a Medical Office in Hemet, that you walk in the door, and hundreds do, that they will write a prescription for you on site and sell you the product you need.  Then they stumble out the door and hang around businesses and actually drive customers away.  Nothing is done about it.

Now if you can provide me with a history that Randy was seeing a doctor using prescription drugs before he was using POT.  Then I would consider it a fact.  But you are just repeating what you have been told.  I know Randy missed quite a few games at Nebraska, and it was mentioned he was using MJ.  Never saw proof of that to be fair.

I grew up with an alcoholic father and mother in East Omaha, and several drunk/druggie live in boyfriends that my mother drug home.  Life was not the greatest,  but I learned very young, that 99% of the time you choose your route.  You control what you want to be, how you get there.  And again, thank you Grand Pa, god rest your soul.  Makes you a little different.  I have never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or done any other type of drugs.  Because I chose not to.  So I know you can come from a bad situation and not be dependent on something to escape.

I have close friends that use it.  But they all seem to be  honest about it.  They like how they feel when they use it.

Everything now seems to have an excuse, it is never the fault of the killer, the rapist, the drug dealer.  Something from their past is always the reason.  Daddy hit me,  mommy didn't feed me.  The teacher was mean to me, girls were mean to me, I am depressed, I have Red hair, what ever it takes.  Legal defense.   

Question: have you drank an alcoholic beverage before in your life?  

Never CDog.  I saw at a young age what it did and what it could do to you.  My father in a drunken rage, burnt our dump of house down.  My mother was the Black Sheep of the family.  Disowned for her actions.  Which was deserved.

Don't drink coffee or smoke, and no tatoos.  Pretty hard to fathom being an old Jar Head.

I was always the Marine watching the door, fighting my drunk buddies fights, protecting them and driving them home.  It was always my job, because I didn't partake in the booze.  I can have a great time around others that do.  Just some thing I never wanted to do.  

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 3

1 minute ago, skersfan said:

Never CDog.  I saw at a young age what it did and what it could do to you.  My father in a drunken rage, burnt our dump of house down.  My mother was the Black Sheep of the family.  Disowned for her actions.  Which was deserved.  

Then you have a stronger constitution than a vast, vast majority of the rest of us. There's a lot of us out there that aren't as strong, that self-medicate for issues that they cannot handle. Could they be stronger? Sure. Is that at all an easy proposition. It's one of the hardest things that someone has to do, especially if you've got any sense of pride. 

Randy has come to a point in his life where he recognizes that he needs help. Up until then, he self-medicated to deal with whatever demons he deals with on a daily basis. Now, he might have lost his professional career to it, but the only one who has the right to pass judgement on him for it doesn't live on this plane of existence. 

• Plus1 2

I don't pass judgement on him.  I call the use of it a desire, not a necessity.  It may very well be as some say.  But he stands to lose millions of dollars if he doesn't clean up his act, and I for one would be doing everything in my power to do what the NFL wanted from me to keep the access to the money.  I hope he kicks it.  I never like to see people fail.  

I did stretch the truth a little there.  I had bi-lateral knee replacement a few years back, was prescribed Vicodin and took them for a week.  Then thru them away.  2 months is normal I guess.

I know I piss people off at times.  I admit I see things differently than most of you.  But there is nothing I say to you guys and ladies that I would not say to your face.

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 6
33 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Can you confirm that he has a prescription for Medical marijuana?  Can you confirm he was on medication for depression prior to his use of MJ?  Stating it is well documented does not really tell us the story.  What it says to me, my opinion, is that Nebraska continually tried to protect him, and get him to the NFL. 

He can't in the state of Texas because of the (willful?) ignorance of the governing body and people who, like yourself, are quick to vilify in lieu of engaging in critical thought. So even though it's been documented he's had anxiety (the extent of which required medication--the particulars beyond that were never addressed), there's nothing to discount his use of cannabis for medical purposes or that indicates that DoNU "continually tried to protect him and get him to the NFL", save for your jaundiced view of the world. 

I have dealt with this stuff for many years, a Lifer in the Marine Corps.   I have owned 5 businesses that I started, built and sold.  Have had hundreds of employees with these claimed problems.  Used to see it daily.  Still see some "sick ones" dangling on 200 foot towers, that I build.   Licensed/certified climbers that need it to do their job is the story.   Three weeks ago I had to have helicopter brought to a site to get a Medical marijuana impaired climber down.  Do you have any idea what that cost me?   It is a need, a want, a high, an excuse.  And of course his use of medical marijuana was not listed in his health screen.  He would not have been hired if it had been, trust me.   It is now being sold as a medicine to escape the laws about it. 

Okay...so I'm clear here, you're taking an example of someone that made a bad decision and extrapolating that cannabis is a "need, a want, a high, an excuse" for all users? That's not painting with a broad brush--that's painting with a damn baseball bat. Again, maybe it's because of your age and what you've seen, but dismissing use of cannabis as something as trivial and unnecessary when it's been documented multiple times over to be a more effective medicine than what's commercially available for many issues. 

Plus, something you're overlooking (willfully or otherwise) is that cannabis extract can be made without the 'high', so just because someone uses cannabis, that doesn't mean automatically they're getting "high". Again, someone made a poor decision in your employ, but that gives you zero justification to paint with such a broad brush.

I live in the mountains of SoCal, 20 acre plots, at least 5 of these plots around me are grow locations.  Which are totally illegal, but the Riverside County Sheriff will not do anything about them.   I have a rental property turned into a grow house.  Over 200K done in damage.  The only thing they could be charged with was eliminating the electrical meter.  A felony, but destroying my property  had no bearing.  There are over 1500 illegal grow houses in the Sacramento area.  All for medical MJ .  Recreational use sale becomes legal in this state soon.

There is a Medical Office in Hemet, that you walk in the door, and hundreds do, that they will write a prescription for you on site and sell you the product you need.  Then they stumble out the door and hang around businesses and actually drive customers away.  Nothing is done about it.

Sounds like you have more issues with the state and local governments regarding growth restrictions and loitering ordances than anything else. If they're growing illegally, then the root cause is (likely) due to laws concerning growth and distribution. If they're loitering post-purchase, then the local businesses need to come together to enforce laws to prevent it from happening.

Something similar occurred after the end of prohibition (another era of stupidity in this country thanks to zealotry) with backyard/bathtub distillers having to go 'legitimate', and that was enforced by local and state laws. Again, still no reason to paint cannabis with the brush you do.

Now if you can provide me with a history that Randy was seeing a doctor using prescription drugs before he was using POT.  Then I would consider it a fact.  But you are just repeating what you have been told.  I know Randy missed quite a few games at Nebraska, and it was mentioned he was using MJ.  Never saw proof of that to be fair.

Again, news articles documented his chronic anxiety and that medications did not work. And IIRC, didn't Randy fail a test while he was at DoNU?

I grew up with an alcoholic father and mother in East Omaha, and several drunk/druggie live in boyfriends that my mother drug home.  Life was not the greatest,  but I learned very young, that 99% of the time you choose your route.  You control what you want to be, how you get there.  And again, thank you Grand Pa, god rest your soul.  Makes you a little different.  I have never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or done any other type of drugs.  Because I chose not to.  So I know you can come from a bad situation and not be dependent on something to escape.

That sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that...but you know what? Not. Everyone. Is. You.  Again, just because you experienced someone that couldn't control their drug of choice, doesn't mean that's the same for everyone--far from it, really. Additionally, supporting ideology that dictates what vices grown adults can choose isn't adult--it's absolutely selfish and childish. Supporting ideology that prevents cannabis oil from being extracted from medicinal purposes, just because you don't care for cannabis? That's just really short-sighted.  

Everything now seems to have an excuse, it is never the fault of the killer, the rapist, the drug dealer.  Something from their past is always the reason.  Daddy hit me,  mommy didn't feed me.  The teacher was mean to me, girls were mean to me, I am depressed, I have Red hair, what ever it takes.  Legal defense.  

So just automatically assume negative intent, automatically assume guilt, automatically assume that because you had a s****y childhood and could get it together that other people are as capable as you are/were? Sorry, but again, this goes to that black/white dichotomy of thought you've exhibited here. There's no critical thought here--just a zero-tolerance assumption that cannabis (or alcohol) is bad and the people who use it are bad because you knew people that used it irresponsibly.

---

Look--I'm sorry you had a s****y childhood. I did too, and no one should have to endure that.

But making blanket accusations, assuming negative intent, assuming guilt, engaging in black/white thought, not keeping an open mind...this is what saddens me the most about your post.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

I don't pass judgement on him.  I call the use of it a desire, not a necessity.  It may very well be as some say.  But he stands to lose millions of dollars if he doesn't clean up his act, and I for one would be doing everything in my power to do what the NFL wanted from me to keep the access to the money.  I hope he kicks it.  I never like to see people fail.  

I did stretch the truth a little there.  I had bi-lateral knee replacement a few years back, was prescribed Vicodin and took them for a week.  Then thru them away.  2 months is normal I guess.

I know I piss people off at times.  I admit I see things differently than most of you.  But there is nothing I say to you guys and ladies that I would not say to your face.

Not here; just having a conversation. 

54 minutes ago, skersfan said:

That very much depends on the level of depression that he has to deal with.  Making millions of dollars doesn't mean much to anyone if they constantly have the thought implanted in their mind that they, and everyone else, would be better off if they were dead.  This is why you see people who seem like they have all the fame and fortune in the world end it all.  

If it is indeed the case that marijuana is the only thing he's found to help him cope with depression (as I've been lead to believe by a lot of different sources is the case), then it's not something he could ever "kick" unless there's an alternative that he's unaware of that works for him and he tries that instead.  Anyone who cares about Randy as a person would much rather see him give up the money and the fame if the road he's on now is what's keeping him from going down another road that he could never possibly come back from.

• Plus1 1

We have how many millions of people in our country who have problems coping with any number of issues.  It could be PTSD from war, a terrible traumatic childhood, or the death of a spouse at a young age.  My own grandmother went into deep depression after the death of my grandfather when she became a single young mother of three small children back in the early 1900's and before the safety net of welfare.  I keep hearing how marijuana helps Randy cope with his issues when really all it does is put a bandaid over the open oozing sore that never heals without real help.  It sounds like he is learning some life skills in coping and I am happy for him.  Saying marijuana makes his or others problem better is like the guy who every morning for months will get up and put 10 pounds of air in a tire with a slow leak.  It allows him to drive briefly for a day but it doesn't solve the problem.  In Randy's case he has the money and maybe still the help from the Cowboys or the NFL to get the honest help he needs while sadly many do not.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

We have how many millions of people in our country who have problems coping with any number of issues.  It could be PTSD from war, a terrible traumatic childhood, or the death of a spouse at a young age.  My own grandmother went into deep depression after the death of my grandfather when she became a single young mother of three small children back in the early 1900's and before the safety net of welfare.  I keep hearing how marijuana helps Randy cope with his issues when really all it does is put a bandaid over the open oozing sore that never heals without real help.  It sounds like he is learning some life skills in coping and I am happy for him.  Saying marijuana makes his or others problem better is like the guy who every morning for months will get up and put 10 pounds of air in a tire with a slow leak.  It allows him to drive briefly for a day but it doesn't solve the problem.  In Randy's case he has the money and maybe still the help from the Cowboys or the NFL to get the honest help he needs while sadly many do not.

There really isn't much that can be done for clinical depression that works on a permanent basis, because it's a chemical condition within the brain itself.  My wife has tried just about everything, including TMS therapy.  The TMS worked great for a month or two, and that was it.  Most medications either make her sick or don't work, and the ones that do work only barely work.  Clinical depression is a lot like asthma, or any other incurable disease.  Yes, you can medicate it to mitigate the symptoms, but you can't make it go away permanently.  Believe me, I wish it could be done.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Randy Gregory