Randy Gregory

Randy Gregory is only a dipsh*t if he cared and couldn't control himself. If he doesn't really care about football much, is indifferent towards having a career in the NFL and making that money, then that's a perfectly legitimate perspective and he can do whatever the hell he wants.

It's too bad, but it's only too bad because we're presupposing an intent or a goal or a motivation on his part. We have no idea what he wants in life.

At least he won't have any chronic health issues stemming from a long, high impact career.

Nope. He'll just have petrified lungs made of resin and be in an iron lung by the time he's 50.
Your propaganda is comically dated.
I've smoked cannabis for 25+ years and I'm over 50 with no iron lung action in sight.

That's probably because smoking grass doesn't give you polio.

• Fire 2

1. I just cant help but wonder why hes getting caught? There are plenty of ways to beat the pee test if you want to, and i would wager that a very large percentage of NFL players partake without getting caught. Doesn't makes sense.

2.As a person who's worked my ass off in a factory 7 days a week for less than $30k a year it kinda sickens me to see someone throw away millions over something dumb like this. He gets a pass i guess for being young and probably not really grasping the situation but c'mon man ! I like catching a good buzz as much as anyone but there are much better ways to handle it.

3. I've indulged in plenty of weed,alcohol,and a few other various "party favors" and in my experience Marijuana is the least harmful and non addictive of any of them. It really is dumb that it is illegal while alcohol, and many prescription drugs are far more harmful yet legal. In the end though it is still illegal in most states and against the policies of his workplace. Refrain from using or beat the test pretty simple.imo

Randy Gregory is only a dipsh*t if he cared and couldn't control himself. If he doesn't really care about football much, is indifferent towards having a career in the NFL and making that money, then that's a perfectly legitimate perspective and he can do whatever the hell he wants.

It's too bad, but it's only too bad because we're presupposing an intent or a goal or a motivation on his part. We have no idea what he wants in life.

We have a pretty damn good idea. But we don't know for sure.

Sure he can do what he wants but throwing away millions (more than most will make in a lifetime!} so he can smoke dope pretty much makes him a dipsh*t . Hes still going to have to do something to make money , we all do, and hes seriously messed up his chances of doing that. The working world is not nice to college dropouts who cant pass a piss test.

• 5 months later...

Cowboys Randy Gregory Working ‘To Turn Life Around’

As we’ve reported at 105.3 The Fan, Gregory — currently serving a suspension of at least one year for a series of NFL substance abuse policy violations — is eligible to apply for league reinstatement on Nov. 6. I’m told that it’s not a guarantee that he will take that action just yet, though a return to football is certainly a goal.

Bigger than football, though is Gregory learning coping skills as a citizen. He’s doing that, I’m told, with a non-football job that occupies his time and gives him structure in addition to his workouts.

Edited by GSG
  • Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Addiction isn't stupidity, it's a sickness. 

From what I know of Randy's situation, and from learning a lot about severe clinical depression over the past few years, I don't know if it's as much "addiction" as just simply being the only thing that he has found that helps him cope.  I used to be in the same boat as a lot of people, thinking that Randy is an idiot for choosing marijuana over football, but that was before I knew what anxiety and depression do to people.  

In a way I can see how it could be considered an addiction, but for Randy and a lot of people in his situation it's something that they almost literally can't live without.

• Plus1 6

2 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

From what I know of Randy's situation, and from learning a lot about severe clinical depression over the past few years, I don't know if it's as much "addiction" as just simply being the only thing that he has found that helps him cope.  I used to be in the same boat as a lot of people, thinking that Randy is an idiot for choosing marijuana over football, but that was before I knew what anxiety and depression do to people.  

In a way I can see how it could be considered an addiction, but for Randy and a lot of people in his situation it's something that they almost literally can't live without.

6 in one, half a dozen in the other, but I completely agree with your post. 

On 4/29/2017 at 7:52 PM, skersfan said:

At some point the PC country is going to have understand that you have to face your demons. Every criminal, law breaker, has an excuse.

Poor Randy, he has anxiety issues. Poor Randy, what a load of crap!

jiFfM.jpg

One facepalm for the NFL, and one facepalm for the ignorant tripe skersfan posted. :-|

---

It's already been well documented that Randy has anxiety issues, and that Prescription/OTC meds were not working for him, and cannabis was.

I also personally know friends and family members that have severe anxiety that medications failed to help out with (e.g. nasty side effects, put the user in a mental haze, made the user fall asleep). These folks had to relocate to Colorado (at the time, the only state that allowed Cannabis use) so they could use either cannabis oil (for the minors involved) or smoke it (for the adults) to help alleviate their symptoms. Not only have they been able to control their anxiety, but they're finally able to lead productive, high quality lives since they moved. 

I know there are people that will just tell anxiety sufferers to 'suck it up', or say that it's a 'load of crap'. But it's real, people suffer from it, and cannabis is a valid remedy when the available medications fail.

As for Randy, I'll wager we find out this isn't as simple as some folks want to make this out to be (rarely is anything in life ever a simple black/white dichotomy). If Randy has anxiety issues that medicine can't help with, but cannabis does, then this ceases being a case of a player simply taking an illicit substance for recreational purposes, and it becomes the NFL asking a player to ultimately sacrifice mental health for playing time. Considering that the NFL has a PR issue with asking players to sacrifice future mental health for current playing time, this strikes me as morally and ethically repugnant on their part. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 9
20 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

I thought weed wasn't addictive?

It's not. But if you're using it to help with a chronic mental illness, then you're going to be predisposed towards wanting to feel mentally healthy. 

Please don't confuse chemical addition to an illicit substance with someone's constant drive for mental well-being and sanity. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 8
  • Mavric changed the title to Randy Gregory