Randy Gregory

7 hours ago, skersfan said:

Not what I said at all.  

You and only you are responsible for your actions.

We will just agree to disagree.  I appreciate your explanations.  

There are many cases where this is simply incorrect.

Mental illness obviously takes up a lot of those cases. Sometimes it can be prescription drugs for other things.

Look up “Keppra rage”. It’s an anti-seizure drug that can make people uncontrollable. I’m lucky I was able to get my doctor to try something else after a month. In that short amount of time my irritability level went through the roof. I don’t want to know how bad it could have been had I stayed on it.

The crazy thing is, I’ve seen some research info that says in 52% of their trials, Keppra actually caused more seizures. It definitely did for me.

Edited by Edison's Enemy
  • Plus1 1

18 hours ago, skersfan said:

Everything now seems to have an excuse, it is never the fault of the killer, the rapist, the drug dealer.  Something from their past is always the reason.  Daddy hit me,  mommy didn't feed me.  The teacher was mean to me, girls were mean to me, I am depressed, I have Red hair, what ever it takes.  Legal defense.   

Reasons and excuses are very different things, yet you use them here almost interchangeably. A neglectful, abusive mother who mentally tortures a child can be a reason the child develops severe mental instabilities. Many serial killers have histories of parental abuse. It does not excuse erratic behavior.

Mental health is a strange beast we don't have a full grasp on yet and we probably never will. Some people are mentally and/or physically incapable of handling stress well.

So, in times like these, I usually rely on what my grandfather used to say all the time (this is not directed at you by the way, just repeating his choice of words) - "Unless you've lived that person's life you should probably shut the hell up." I don't know what demons Gregory battles but I believe I can be disappointed in the decisions he has made while simultaneously having an understanding (and perhaps even some sympathy) of why he made them.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Reasons and excuses are very different things, yet you use them here almost interchangeably. A neglectful, abusive mother who mentally tortures a child can be a reason the child develops severe mental instabilities. Many serial killers have histories of parental abuse. It does not excuse erratic behavior.

Mental health is a strange beast we don't have a full grasp on yet and we probably never will. Some people are mentally and/or physically incapable of handling stress well.

So, in times like these, I usually rely on what my grandfather used to say all the time (this is not directed at you by the way, just repeating his choice of words) - "Unless you've lived that person's life you should probably shut the hell up." I don't know what demons Gregory battles but I believe I can be disappointed in the decisions he has made while simultaneously having an understanding (and perhaps even some sympathy) of why he made them.

well said.  feel bad for him. somethings are just over whelming.

• Plus1 1

On 10/24/2017 at 11:49 AM, skersfan said:

Everything now seems to have an excuse, it is never the fault of the killer, the rapist, the drug dealer.  Something from their past is always the reason.  Daddy hit me,  mommy didn't feed me.  The teacher was mean to me, girls were mean to me, I am depressed, I have Red hair, what ever it takes.  Legal defense.   

You also mentioned "political correctness" earlier, and I think it misses the point.

I grew up in a family and era where you take personal responsibility, don't blame others, and respect the people who grant you opportunity. I think we hated the idea of waste most of all. But I don't see people getting softer or making excuses. I'm just seeing a little more empathy in society, and it can only be healthy. It took me years to understand why people sabotage themselves. It made no rational sense to me, but that was my reality. Some people's reality is vastly different. A lot can be explained by environment and learned behavior. But a lot of evidence points to chemistry and genetics.

Either way, it's not simply a matter of bucking up to meet the expectation of others. More likely it's the expectations that lead to self-sabotage in the first place. This didn't just happen, it's been going on for years. We had a lot of code words for alcoholics, manic depressives and bipolar folk. 

I don't see anyone blaming Randy Gregory's situation on anyone but Randy Gregory. You can feel sorry for him at the same time. People are rooting for him to get his life in order first, play football second, if at all. That's the way it should be. There are always less-conflicted players to take his place. 

Edited by Guy Chamberlin
  • Plus1 2
On 10/24/2017 at 11:49 AM, Cdog923 said:

Hell, Kenny Stabler was a drunk, and he's in the HoF. 

Most of the Oakland Raider team failed to make bed check before the 1977 and '81 Super Bowls, and several rolled in around dawn the day of the game. 

I doubt the alcohol was out of their system at game time, and plenty of other substances were in the mix. 

The Raiders crushed it both times, taking special pleasure in thrashing Dick Vermiel's curfew-keeping choirboys. 

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Most of the Oakland Raider team failed to make bed check before the 1977 and '81 Super Bowls, and several rolled in around dawn the day of the game. 

I doubt the alcohol was out of their system at game time, and plenty of other substances were in the mix. 

The Raiders crushed it both times, taking special pleasure in thrashing Dick Vermiel's curfew-keeping choirboys. 

Very true but such a different game in the 70s.  Pretty tough trying to play drunk today.  Players back then didn't workout in the off season and offensive linemen averaged about 260 pounds in that era. 

• Mavric changed the title to Randy Gregory